Shopping at the Mothership

One of my students (we were on the class trip) claims that he was told by a SA he could not purchase the wallet he was looking at because he suspected that he was working with the "asian scam". I seriously thought the kid was exaggerating until now!

You'll see a queue, full of asians outside the LV mothership store. If you are caucasian, you do not have to queue. This is true.

On top of my head, 2 things why there's racial discrimination:

1. The asian scam is not so much counterfeit of the luxury goods but it's a credit card scam.

2. LV goods are more expensive here in Asia, 25 - 30% more. So anyone who goes to Paris, normally get a list of items to buy for other people.

Oh, just to add, all my LVs are not purchased locally, they are from London, Munich and Sydney. Reason? I am not willing to pay 25 - 30% more if I can get them from Europe.

I just read "hungry woman in paris" and she talks about this. Apparently it's well known in France that Asian's cannot buy more than a couple of items at a time and they check for I.D and make a profile when you purchase.

Its just horrible that because of criminals honest genuine LV lovers from Asian countries are being penalised and are unable to get the same treatment as the others at this store!

That's ridiculous that any store can racially profile. Doesn't France have an FTC-type agency? What if they start racially profiling African Americans because a select few are also believed to sell counterfeits on street corners? There would probably be some backlash in that case.

Also, asians comprise the majority percentage of the world's population. So the few asians that are involved in counterfeiting represent a fraction of a percentage of a minority of the asian population and are not representative of the group as a whole. I guess stereotyping is no longer racist, it's just considered good business practice.

I'm living in Paris and from time to time when I walk down the Champs-Elysees someone will stop me to ask them to make a purchase from LV for them. I generally ignore them and tell them in my best French that I don't speak English.

What are these people doing? Why don't they buy what they want themselves? Are they trying to scam me?
sounds really strange,they should purchase it themselves.....

I have noticed many Asians in NYC get snubbed in LV stores. I overheard a SA say they just want to make fakes. I have even seen people sneak and take pictures of the merchandise. Canal Street in NY is COUNTERFIET city! I still do not feel one race should be discriminated against though.

Sorry but it is silly that pple who wants to counterfeit Lv would travel to france to buy Lv when they can easily pay someone who works in China Lv to offer assistance. The latter is so much easier.

I heard about quota issue especially when u carry a china passport. But it really depends on the SA.

The Asians- mostly oriental looking are being snubbed by LV not b'cos they're afraid of counterfeiting. 2 explainations I can think of,
1. Yes, it's true the oreintal asians are really super rich, most of the r doing extreme well. Lv is a a favourite stuff besides ROLEX. It's a symbol & it's way much cheaper in France.
2. A lot of Asians business people 'hired' others to buy for them as there are limit sets on prospective buyers. It's a business for them , if they can afford to hire 'workers' to do it for them with 'real money' & sell it at double/ triple the price. It's all about how to do your business reselling LVs. It's true there are lots of fake Lvs around but those who purchased Lvs at europe are actually business men/ women reselling them at higher price.

I just wanna buy one handbag for myself, one for my mum, and one for my sister as souvenirs since I'm going to Paris! it's like going to swiss and bring back chocolates, or going to India and bring back some Pashmina; didn't know that could be a crime! and despite all the claims about counterfeit, it shouldn't matter what we do with our bags, because after all it's OUR money! *sigh*

I think it's awful that people are discriminated against due to race, but I have witnessed it firsthand in Paris at LV. I went into the shop to have a look around, it was super busy with a lot of Asians waiting to be served so I just thought I would have a wander, even though I wanted to get a bag. As soon as I walked in I was immediately approached by an SA who took me to a side counter and showed me several bags. I ended up getting my Mono Speedy 30 ;)

I asked him directly why I was handled with priority (I was dressed in A&F, TR jeans and Uggs, carrying my Mono 25 so not looking flash at all!) and he said that they get busloads of Asian tourists so they take turns serving 'other' customers. He also said that he wanted to help me as I spoke French!

I think it is wrong to assume that Asian customers have malicious intentions with the bags, but I can't imagine being thrilled at the prospect of serving busloads of ANY clients!

I asked him directly why I was handled with priority (I was dressed in A&F, TR jeans and Uggs, carrying my Mono 25 so not looking flash at all!) and he said that they get busloads of Asian tourists so they take turns serving 'other' customers. He also said that he wanted to help me as I spoke French!

Maybe they think it makes the brand less exclusive when you have a huge number of people queue to buy their bags.