Shipping tracking problem - Seller's or Buyer's responsibility?

Antigone

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
I bought an item on eBay which was supposedly sent via Express Post on the 31st July.

However, today, the 2nd of August, the tracking shows as still not scanned.

I asked the help of the seller and the seller wrote, "I cannot answer as to why it hasn't been scanned yet by the post" and sent a picture of the parcel.

Since I am the recipient and not the sender, I do not know the sending information (ie. post office location, date/time sent, etc) which are needed to follow up with the post office. Therefore, I have limited information to provide when following up.

I don't want the seller to be annoyed at me. But am I wrong in assuming this is the seller's responsibility? I am also a seller, and I make sure I track the items I sold and follow up with the post office whenever there are tracking issues.

I do not want the seller to be annoyed at me. I have already followed up with the post office, but I know that the next questions would be where did I drop off the item, date and time, etc which I cannot answer since I am not the seller.

Am I asking for too much here?

Update: Tracking has just been updated by the Post Office.

Last edited:
It's generally the seller's responsibility to follow up while in transit, but less than two business days is far too soon to be asking them to do so.

Express Post is guaranteed one day shipping. Seller informed me that the item was shipped on the 31st of July. It should have been received by me on the 1st of August. Today is August 2 where I am, and the item was showing as "not yet scanned" (so not yet in the possession of the post system) which was the only reason I asked the seller if she could follow up with the post office because it should have shown scanned on July 31.

Anyway, the tracking now shows scanned (August 2) so all good.

Last edited:
In the last several days, I'm seeing a huge slowdown (and often non-existence) in tracking.

In fact, I issued a refund a couple of days ago for an item I shipped on July 2 with the last tracking showing as "The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of July 6, 2018."

When the buyer opened a non-receipt dispute and the post office couldn't offer more info than I found online, I had no option but to refund him.

In fact, I issued a refund a couple of days ago for an item I shipped on July 2 with the last tracking showing as "The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of July 6, 2018."

Weird. The last (and ONLY) scan on one of mine is:

"In-Transit
July 6, 2018 at 2:04 am
Processed Through Facility"

I'm waiting for the seller to take the next step.

Express Post is guaranteed one day shipping. Seller informed me that the item was shipped on the 31st of July. It should have been received by me on the 1st of August. Today is August 2 where I am, and the item was showing as "not yet scanned" which was why I asked the seller if she could follow up with the post office because it should have shown scanned on July 31.

Anyway, the tracking now shows scanned (August 2) so all good.

Depending on the TIME of day they shipped it and if they left it at a drop location or took it to a counter, there may not be an issue. Despite the tripe Alan and his co-horts have been spewing on the boards recently, transit estimates are start after the carrier has the package, never from when the seller marks it shipped.

transit estimates are start after the carrier has the package, never from when the seller marks it shipped.

I understand this. Like I wrote, when I tracked it this morning, the item was showing as "not yet scanned" which meant the carrier did not have the item yet, 2 days after the seller shipped it.

This was the reason I asked the seller to follow up with the post office, as I was told she already shipped it on July 31.

Anyway, the tracking has now been updated so it's all good.

Last edited:
As a seller I always track my shipments daily. I will also let the buyer know if there is a delay for some reason. I do not expect the buyer to make sure they receive the item as I feel that is my responsibility.

Same here. The only time I leave place shipping issues the buyer's hands is when a buyer contacts me with shipping concerns after their item has been marked as delivered or numerous unsuccessful delivery attempts were made to them.
There is definitely a disconnect between tracking details and eBay. I purchased an item for a friend via UPS. They received the package 3 days after I paid, yet the tracking information was never updated beyond the number provided.

Reactions: CornishMon
Same here. The only time I leave place shipping issues the buyer's hands is when a buyer contacts me with shipping concerns after their item has been marked as delivered or numerous unsuccessful delivery attempts were made to them.
There is definitely a disconnect between tracking details and eBay. I purchased an item for a friend via UPS. They received the package 3 days after I paid, yet the tracking information was never updated beyond the number provided.
Hmmm well I never use USPS - it is either FedEx or UPS. My items are usually in the thousands so USPS doesn’t work for me in delivering anything for me.