Shelling out for small things versus big things

i mostly only buy used vintage necklaces that tarnished, i love the old tarnished look, i can't justify buying expensive necklace like 1000$ and above.
the most expensive designer access i bought are my chanel watch which i'll use for years and years. i don't collect watch, i don't really like watches but trying to use one for now to keep me from getting late all the time LOL
and a GOOD watch is a must for me now LOL

my main interest is still chanel bags, once in a while if I see some very nice jewelry that I must have and are not 4 digits, I may go for it. but that's very rare. For shoes I cannot justify the high price either since I keep thinking I will step on them on the ground....$400 is my max for shoes so I was only able to find the baby animal flats that's under that limit. I would also love to buy chanel sunglasses but none of their style seems to look good on me or fit me well. My white j12 is the most expensive chanel piece, I don't wear it to work, but I don't regret buying it at all. It's a very eye-catching watch and I love the scratch resistent ceramic!

We can relate. =) There are many times where I wanted to buy matching small leather goods, but I try holding off by telling myself that my current wallet is still very new. Overall, I am okay with spending money on pricey yet classic pieces (large or small) as long as I use them for years. =)

I think small things are great to satisfy your chanel cravings in the interim.
Sometimes it seems so long since the last purchase if you save up for a bag :biggrin: It sometimes gets unbearable

thankfully I only use prescription sunglasses! For the other accessories like jewelry I'd rather spend the money on real pearls or gold or a purse. My purse addiction is enough tho'!

im not fond of chanel jewelry either, i would rather spend thousands on a real diamond, but then im willing to pay premium for sunnies as im going to use them daily. I wanted to buy an lv wallet but until now i cant bring myself to pay for the price its like the price of a speedy bag, so im still using my beat up burberry until now :rolleyes:

I am slowly moving away from the small stuff too, although I have decided to treat myself to a pair of black sunnies on my next R&R.

Lately I have been thinking maybe I will try harder to save towards a Chanel jacket rather than buy any more bags this year.

i keep buying small accessories and jewelry too!
but for me i think spending a couple hundred dollars each on separate locations is better than spending a thousand + at once. less painful lol.

I don't think I would spend $1,000 on a necklace over a bag, but that doesn't stop me from paying $100s for shoes and accessories (Chanel and others).

A woman working at an airline put it in perspective for me last week - I wanted to upgrade my work-provided coach ticket to first class (my expense). When she told me the price, she said "that's a lot of shoes." My Chanel and I stayed in coach. :P

I seem to go back and forth on this. I have no problem shelling out for the smaller things as long as it's not "frivolous". By that I mean when I spend on the smaller things they are things that I really love or I really "need" (ie. they fulfill some purpose that what I currently have doesn't do).

So my "small" purchases of a large wallet, a small card wallet, sunnies, earrings - I'm actually very happy about each individual purpose as for the most part - I actually use these small accessories more than bags since I only have one "kind/style" of each of them - I use them on a daily basis whereas I rotate my bags so I don't use them as often.

It's only scary when you add up all the money you spent on the small accessories and think about the one huge thing you could've got! I guess at the end of it.. it depends on which way you look at it. :smile:

but think abotu it this way would you have been able to wait long enough to save up for the big things :smile: I personally don't have the paitience ^^ itsli ek getting losta little lollipops and opposed to one huge lollipop
:biggrin:

I just bought a Chanel quilted lambskin key case that cost $450 and I do think that's a crazy amount for a key case. But I LOVE it. I love holding it, looking at it etc. Before I bought it I carried my keys on an ugly plastic clippy thingie. And now when I take out my keys, every day, I get such pleasure out of this case. I have a Prada wallet that was a gift so I won't need a wallet for a long time. (This wallet is great and well made.) And I have two Chanel bags so for me that key case was all I needed. Doubt I'll ever buy the jewelry or sunglasses. I would rather put that money towards another bag.

I am going to sound like such a snobby ***** saying this (but stay with me because there IS a reason, lol):

I ONLY buy the real deal. No fake or man-made/lab created stones, only 18K white gold or platinum. No CZ's, no fake pearls (nope, not even cultured). Why? Because 1)I was brought up this way and 2)it has saved me SO MUCH money over the years. My jewelry collection is very small, but breathtaking. I look for vintage stones, not man-made. Having a mom who was (is) a gem collector was a wondeful education in what to buy and what NOT to buy.

So, when I see gold-tone, plastic pearls and the like costing $800 and up, it just makes me sick. There is NO interest in this for me. I would rather save up and buy something unique, rare and usually much much more expensive.

My favorite pair (and the BEST pair for my eyes due to the type of lenses) of sunglasses cost me $10. My doc suggested this brand and the were on sale at HSN for $10. Amazing sunglasses. Oversized, look great, basic black.

I completely understand what you are saying. Since I LOVE CHANEL bags, I would much rather spend the money on them than other items w/the CHANEL logo. Then again, I am NOT someone who cares about logos; I care about quality, uniqueness and the lines of an item (which is why I purchase the bags). If I had money to burn, sure, why not. But I'd rather have 1 large great item, than a bunch of little, cute but not great items (same logic was ALWAYS being applied to jewelry when I was growing up by my mother).

I am going to sound like such a snobby ***** saying this (but stay with me because there IS a reason, lol):

I ONLY buy the real deal. No fake or man-made/lab created stones, only 18K white gold or platinum. No CZ's, no fake pearls (nope, not even cultured). Why? Because 1)I was brought up this way and 2)it has saved me SO MUCH money over the years. My jewelry collection is very small, but breathtaking. I look for vintage stones, not man-made. Having a mom who was (is) a gem collector was a wondeful education in what to buy and what NOT to buy.

So, when I see gold-tone, plastic pearls and the like costing $800 and up, it just makes me sick. There is NO interest in this for me. I would rather save up and buy something unique, rare and usually much much more expensive.

My favorite pair (and the BEST pair for my eyes due to the type of lenses) of sunglasses cost me $10. My doc suggested this brand and the were on sale at HSN for $10. Amazing sunglasses. Oversized, look great, basic black.

I completely understand what you are saying. Since I LOVE CHANEL bags, I would much rather spend the money on them than other items w/the CHANEL logo. Then again, I am NOT someone who cares about logos; I care about quality, uniqueness and the lines of an item (which is why I purchase the bags). If I had money to burn, sure, why not. But I'd rather have 1 large great item, than a bunch of little, cute but not great items (same logic was ALWAYS being applied to jewelry when I was growing up by my mother).

Hmm. Personally, I don't place value on "one large great item" over "a bunch of little, cute but not great items." I wouldn't say smaller Chanel items AREN'T great... I don't think they're a waste of money either if you enjoy them.