She took my purse hook

I know I'm totally reviving an old thread but what ever happened with this? Did the OP get the hook back, forget about it, have a good old fashioned smack down in the parking lot of Denny's? :boxing:

I would have said "I said you could borrow it for the night, silly! If I give you one, it wont be a set anymore. I got them at BB&B if you want to buy you a set."

UGH! The next time you see her you should say, "Oh hey! Remember when I saw you last and you took my purse hook? You can give it back now, thanks."

And then give her the hardest eyeroll ever when she tells you she doesn't have it because you know she'll say that.

[/scenario]

What a terribly rude acquaintance. I bet she has done this before and gets away with it, banking on the fact that considerate people prefer to avoid such awkward discussion. I've learned over the years that awkward discussions are not awkward for me...they are awkward for those who exploit the goodwill of others, including mine. This is exactly why they do it, because it works, and because they get freebies out of it. Personally, I would have responded with a casual laugh: oh, don't be silly, I was loaning it to you ~ not gifting it to you, although I will tell you where you can buy your own set ~ do you have a pen and piece of paper to write it down? Here, why don't you hand it back to me while you find something to write with.

So, it actually doesn't have to be so awkward after all. She caught you off guard, which is what (I believe) she wanted to do.

As a quick aside, when I was younger and more naive, I had friends and acquaintances who pulled such crap...and I put up with it thinking this is what we tolerate with friends. I learned that I don't have to tolerate anyone who helps themselves to MY things...they are mine, after all. My friends respect MY things and ask to borrow them. If I say no for whatever reason, my friends respect my decision and leave it at that. If they can't, they're not worthy of my friendship, simply put. Lay down the boundaries or others will violate them because it's no skin off their nose. Today a purse hook, tomorrow, who knows, kwim?

ITA!!! Well said. :okay:

That was rude. I would have been dumbfounded too. Next time, and hopefully there never is one, I'd say something like, 'Actually, that one is my mom's/sister's/etc so I can't give it to you. But you can buy your own at xxxx.'

totally uncool:nogood:...rude...i agree with an earlier post:tup:, "ask your gf to get it back...it's not the price not even because it's part of a set but the thought that she thinks she can get away with it:wtf::Push:.

i'm for getting it back:yes:.

I know what she did was inexcusable but you said they came as a set and you have the other one. I'm sorry but if you have one do you really need two? I know that isn't the point of this thread but normally people only carry one purse therefore you need one hook.

I would tell your friend what her friend did. Maybe she can talk to her.

^ that's not really the point. the hook belonged to the op and the girl had the audacity to gift someone else's belonging to herself. besides, it's always good to have a spare of an item like that. it's easy to lose. what she did was incredibly rude, and the op was too nice. i would've told her she misunderstood my intentions and asked for it back.