Share interesting Hermès facts here!

May 26, 2021
Starting a thread for people to share/discuss interesting factoids (or fallacies) they’ve heard or learned while shopping with Hermès over the years.

I’ll go first:
  • Gold, Étoupe and Blue Jean are the only colors that use white contrast stitching instead of tonal switching (excluding SO’s)
  • The Constance is more demanding in terms of craftsmanship than B or K
  • All non-SO B’s are lined in chèvre mysore
  • Something I find interesting: There’s a veau monsieur and a veau madame :lol:

I’m sure some of these might be common sense to the seasoned client but I still found these facts(?) interesting when I learned them. If any of these are not true, please let me know! Would love to hear from others to collectively expand our knowledge horizons:drinks:

Starting a thread for people to share/discuss interesting factoids (or fallacies) they’ve heard or learned while shopping with Hermès over the years.

I’ll go first:
  • Gold, Étoupe and Blue Jean are the only colors that use white contrast stitching instead of tonal switching (excluding SO’s)

I’m sure some of these might be common sense to the seasoned client but I still found these facts(?) interesting when I learned them. If any of these are not true, please let me know! Would love to hear from others to collectively expand our knowledge horizons:drinks:
What about barenia fauve and vache naturelle?
Admittedly VN is a skin, not a colour.

I’ll go first:

Swift is not :smile:

I’ll go first:

first of all, LOVE this thread thank you so much for starting it! But, about the Constance I had no idea! Not to correct you or anything because it might be subjective to every craftsman. I once asked an Hermès craftsman visiting my home store, Rodeo Drive Hermès, which leather good is most difficult to make and he said it’s the Kelly because of the handle. He then explained how if the craftsman knows how to make a kelly, they can make any of the other bag/leather goods Hermès has.6DF4B5B5-251B-47F9-9BEE-253E9890C876.jpeg
This the craftsman I asked by the way lol

I’ll go first:

Skipper Buffalo Birkins are lined in Skipper Buffalo...not SO. But they are no longer available to my knowledge. Croco Birkins were originally lined in toile. These are super light weight. Now lined in chevre.

Thanks for starting a fun thread.

first of all, LOVE this thread thank you so much for starting it! But, about the Constance I had no idea! Not to correct you or anything because it might be subjective to every craftsman. I once asked an Hermès craftsman visiting my home store, Rodeo Drive Hermès, which leather good is most difficult to make and he said it’s the Kelly because of the handle. He then explained how if the craftsman knows how to make a kelly, they can make any of the other bag/leather goods Hermès has.View attachment 5301753
This the craftsman I asked by the way lol
good point! Thanks for sharing that - I never got the chance to speak with an artisan before, so awesome! :biggrin:

Togo is the female calf and Clemence is the male bullcalf.
Hermès brought zippers to fashion.

I know a lot more random stuff I’ll add later. These are the first two that come to mind.
I had no idea Togo was only made from females! Maybe that explains why Togo tends to get fat veining more than Clemence (because females hold more fat in their bodies)? So interesting, thanks for sharing