Seeking Advise: A BBK Dilemma

I'm sorry, this dilemma cannot be solved - your only choice is to sell the bag to me!! Nothing I love more than BB - I particularly love the patina gets with use. Maybe remind yourself of that? I have the same horrible of wanting to save up new things. In my case it is quite ridiculous - my goal is to find new homes for items that I just don't seem to reach for...

I hope you enjoy this beauty !!

Please use her and enjoy her. For one she's far too beautiful to be an ornament on a shelf, two, box calf ages beautifully and looks even more gorgeous with patina (my Kelly is positively ancient in comparison and must have been used loads looking at her corners, which are currently being sorted in Paris, but even after around 50 years abuse the leather is so lovely!) and lastly and most importantly (and sorry to be morbid) none of us know what is around the corner. You can save something special for best, but what if that day never comes? With Hermes you have the advantage over Chanel for instance that you can use away and then if any wear starts to bother you just send her to the spa to be repaired, I'm no expert but it is my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong anyone) that box calf is one of the best leathers Hermes produces when it comes to restoration. :smile:

I'm sorry, this dilemma cannot be solved - your only choice is to sell the bag to me!! Nothing I love more than BB - I particularly love the patina gets with use. Maybe remind yourself of that? I have the same horrible of wanting to save up new things. In my case it is quite ridiculous - my goal is to find new homes for items that I just don't seem to reach for...

I hope you enjoy this beauty !!

Thank you, I do adore this bag and now that the weather is starting to change it maybe the best time to really put in the effort.

Reactions: westcoastgal
I am the same way and need to take others' advice. I got my brand new BBK 32 a month ago and it's still sitting in the box [emoji24]

UGH! I hope you can overcome the fear of using your BBK too. I think that everytime I see a picture of the Olson twins with their DESTROYED Kellys I shutter! I will treat this one much better though lol.

Your bag is simply gorgeous, a dream come true! I say use it and enjoy it. Nowadays bags can be restored and brought back to life in ways we never imagined. I have started to wear my items more and more as I am realizing life is short and these precious items we purchase are done so to be used and enjoyed. Please enjoy and let this beauty be a part of your experiences.

Monceau Thanks so much for your story. It is very relatable! I just have to take a deep breath and take her out. I have heard that box becomes more beautiful with use. So I will definitely put forth the effort!

My navy-box Kelly is my everyday bag, and I must say once you use it for a few days, you will stop worrying. Just tell yourself you have to use it for a week straight. It is a beautiful bag, nothing like box. I used to be afraid of box, and now it is the leather that makes up the majority of my bags, and they all have scratches, and I don't care anymore, bc nothing beats the beauty and lightness and elegance of box.

My navy-box Kelly is my everyday bag, and I must say once you use it for a few days, you will stop worrying. Just tell yourself you have to use it for a week straight. It is a beautiful bag, nothing like box. I used to be afraid of box, and now it is the leather that makes up the majority of my bags, and they all have scratches, and I don't care anymore, bc nothing beats the beauty and lightness and elegance of box.

Marbella, do you treat your navy box with anything? Do you wear it out in rain and snow? Scratches don't bother me much but I am afraid of blistering from water.

If it helps, I use my box kelly in all kinds of weather (including rain and snow). Once I'm out of the elements, I just quickly wipe down the box leather with my hand to whisk most of the water droplets off. The leather dries up quickly thereafter. I've not had any issues with blistering yet.

Marbella, do you treat your navy box with anything? Do you wear it out in rain and snow? Scratches don't bother me much but I am afraid of blistering from water.

Hi, I must say even though I treated it with Leather 'N Rich and Obenauf, I don't use it when it rains. I usually have a Karo or a Gucci-Cosmetic Case in the car, so if it starts raining after I have left the house, I will just take that with me. If i haven't left the house yet, I switch to a non-H bag. I live in Southern California so we are not prone to rain and snow as much as other places. I am not scared of scratches but honestly don't want to risk rain and snow.

Hi, I must say even though I treated it with Leather 'N Rich and Obenauf, I don't use it when it rains. I usually have a Karo or a Gucci-Cosmetic Case in the car, so if it starts raining after I have left the house, I will just take that with me. If i haven't left the house yet, I switch to a non-H bag. I live in Southern California so we are not prone to rain and snow as much as other places. I am not scared of scratches but honestly don't want to risk rain and snow.

Thanks for the answer. You are lucky to live in Southern CA -- it is still winter here in New England!

Reactions: marbella8
If it helps, I use my box kelly in all kinds of weather (including rain and snow). Once I'm out of the elements, I just quickly wipe down the box leather with my hand to whisk most of the water droplets off. The leather dries up quickly thereafter. I've not had any issues with blistering yet.

That is great to know! Have you treated the bag in any way to protect it?

Dreambad7767
Look at this new thread:
The bag I never thought I'd find: a vintage reveal!
(Sorry about the bold, it was cut and paste)
It was a kind of 'saw this and thought of you' moment.

Your BBK is stunning!!
I own a 28 retourne BBK, love it to pieces. I use it as a daily bag (I rotate bags often) & I have three kids, ages 17 months to 5 years. Life is too short not to use. Box leather ages beautifully. However if your not feeling it, maybe you should sell. Maybe it's the size. I did have a black box birkin 35 & for some reason it didn't work for me so I sold it. However the 28 I love!!!! I dress very casual most days. I attached a few pics. My BBK has been used a lot and still looks amazing.
IMG_1489814693.785549.jpg
IMG_1489814758.143661.jpg