"Seeing girls in flip flops and Gap clothes driving an old Honda but toting..."

personally, I don't care what women in Europe wear - or pretty much what anyone else wears. I care what my husband thinks - but that's pretty much it. And even if he doesn't care for something I'm wearing - if I like it, I'll wear it. I have a pair of black platform shoes that he doesn't care for, but I think they're cute... so on they go.

For each person who thinks you look great when you dress one way - there will be someone else who thinks you look terrible. In the end, it should be up to you and what you like and what you feel comfortable in that you wear - and that goes for shoes, clothes, and accessories.

Just one girl's opinion. ;)

Women in Europe work in the same conditions as American women, but would not be caught dead wearing flip-flops outside of beach.
Why do you think that is?

Women in England (part of the EU) wear flip-flops off the beach. :yes:

I say, wear whatever you like - as women and as human beings, enough areas of our lives are controlled already, without allowing our choice of clothing and accessories to be another one of them.

People shouldn't be judgemental...its up to an individual to spend on what they want! as long you dont go stupid with your finance then its fine! i have some designer bags but it doesn't mean i have to wear head to toe in designer clothes.. i like to spend a bit more on bags cause thats my passion! Clothes to me comes and go with fashion but if you find the right bag..that will be with you for life!

personally, I don't care what women in Europe wear - or pretty much what anyone else wears. I care what my husband thinks - but that's pretty much it. And even if he doesn't care for something I'm wearing - if I like it, I'll wear it. I have a pair of black platform shoes that he doesn't care for, but I think they're cute... so on they go.

For each person who thinks you look great when you dress one way - there will be someone else who thinks you look terrible. In the end, it should be up to you and what you like and what you feel comfortable in that you wear - and that goes for shoes, clothes, and accessories.

Just one girl's opinion. ;)

:tup:

ITA - good for you! :yes:

I'd rather anyone, money or not, be driving an older Honda or Toyota than a brand new Hummer and guzzling gas. All this judgement is simply ridiculous. One cannot always identify someone with money by looks. Additionally, like someone else mentioned, does carrying LV automatically mean one must be wearing a Chanel jacket or CL shoes?

People need to worry about themselves and having their own houses and finances in order and not concern themselves with anyone else.

Most of those flip-floppers are carrying fake bags. That is one more reason never to buy anything with logos on them (Burberry, Gucci, Coach, LV).

But who really cares? I am more unnerved by all these mammals flip-flopping around thinking that they are wearing shoes…

On a side note: who hypnotized 99% of female population of USA to think that they look good in flip-flops? Every time I see a cute girl wobble like a pregnant duck towards me on those plastic things I feel sorry for her.

I respectfully disagree with you. I LOVE wearing flip flops. I don't own any fake bags. I live in Southern CA, by the beach, so it's kinda the norm here to see people in flip flops.

I disagree. People don't just dress they project their personality by what they wear. Clothing is what we package ourselves in. Even those vegan hippies (especially those) who think they just "go with a flow" and don't care for clothing broadcast their attitude and outlook the loudest.
So, not to judge people by their appearance is to ignore the obvious signals, subliminal or not. Signals, developed and perfected by human kind over thousands of years of civilization.

Ever heard of 'Don't judge a book by its cover.'?

Some people are busy broadcasting their opinions/projecting their personalities via what they wear, it's true; but others are just wearing what they like the look of and what they find comfortable.

You're reading way to much into people's choices of clothing, IMO.

It's all about priorities, and what's important to you. Besides, buying a designer handbag is within reach, maybe a fancy car isn't. You get what you can.

You can't judge people by their appearance, either. My dad walks around looking ratty, so much so that there was a delivery driver who used to see him on his walk every morning and even gave him a lunch. He thought he was homeless. He used to wear these horrible pants with little tiny holes all along the bottoms -- those were caused by the chlorine splashing back up as he was adding it to his built in swimming pool. My mom was always getting on him for his clothes, but he just doesn't care -- he say's he 'eccentric'. He totally cracks me up.

Now I admit, this is a bit of an extreme, but quite frankly, I admire someone who really doesn't care what other people think. A family I know just went through losing their house, and every stupid decision they made was because they were so worried about what other people would say.

So, wear your flip flops with your Louis proudly! (Just make sure they fit, that's what drives me nuts, people with too-huge shoes).

I drive a pickup, wear flip flops (or sneakers, or combat boots), wear non-designer clothes most of the time, live in jeans. Does that mean I'm "not allowed" to carry a designer bag? If I'm wearing a hoodie and flip flops out does that mean I should just grab a plastic bag to tote my things around because I look like trash?

I think not.

I like the ability of some of my bags to make my outfit instantly "dressed up". As in, I can wear jeans and a simple tank top, but carry a nice bag and suddenly I feel "put together." I know I'm not the only one.

P.S. My 58 yr. old mother, who shops at the ritzy-est stores down in Newport Beach, wears flip flops! Of course, they're usually bedazzled or jeweled or platforms, but they're still flip flops.

Let people prioritize their material goods as they see fit. But, I do agree that if the person has debt, that should be taken care of.

At the end of the day, it's all just stuff. Purses = nice stuff that we all value more highly.

If I see a girl looking like she spent $50 on her outfit head to toe I'm inclined to think she spent the same on her purse - ie it's a fake. I don't really care if you have massive debts and an old car and a $5000 purse. If you make it look like it's worth $50 then that's your own problem.

I agree with everyone's postings. It's very superficial to judge people based on their appearance and what they may be wearing.
I disagree. People don't just dress they project their personality by what they wear. Clothing is what we package ourselves in. Even those vegan hippies (especially those) who think they just "go with a flow" and don't care for clothing broadcast their attitude and outlook the loudest.
So, not to judge people by their appearance is to ignore the obvious signals, subliminal or not. Signals, developed and perfected by human kind over thousands of years of civilization.

I can sort of understand what you're saying, from a scientific point of view. Even someone who "doesn't care" about what they're wearing projects some sort of image solely based on whatever they chose to wear that day. I think what people are trying to say here is that yes, you can make assumptions but don't hold those to be truth!

When I read the little blurb the first word that came to my mind was JEALOUSY! As in, how dare this person spend $$ on a BAG, without dressing themselves first! I felt that the writer was resentful that person wearing the flip flops with the bag, didn't need to impress others by dress or by automobile choice, but was simply carrying an accessory that made her happy. And as long as we're making assumptions, isn't it more financially savvy to spend $$ on a bag that on designer outfits day after to day & spend more than $20K on a car! I think the girl being written about was actually being responsible! :P

You can't judge people by their appearance, either. My dad walks around looking ratty, so much so that there was a delivery driver who used to see him on his walk every morning and even gave him a lunch. He thought he was homeless. He used to wear these horrible pants with little tiny holes all along the bottoms -- those were caused by the chlorine splashing back up as he was adding it to his built in swimming pool. My mom was always getting on him for his clothes, but he just doesn't care -- he say's he 'eccentric'. He totally cracks me up.

Now I admit, this is a bit of an extreme, but quite frankly, I admire someone who really doesn't care what other people think.

Me too! :biggrin: Good for your Dad! :tup:

It sometimes drives me mad that my partner refuses to wear a collar and tie (he's phobic, since having to wear them at school), because it stops us being able to go to certain venues and events together; but really, it is the fault of society, that places so much import on a, frankly, outmoded form of dress!

It's about time that we got real and allowed people (particularly men, as they are even more subjugated than women, in this way) to cover their bodies in what they wish to wear. Rather than expecting them to wear a form of dress that was invented over 100 years ago and which was an adaptation of another, equally outmoded, form of dress!

A family I know just went through losing their house, and every stupid decision they made was because they were so worried about what other people would say.

:yes: :sad:

I respectfully disagree with you. I LOVE wearing flip flops. I don't own any fake bags. I live in Southern CA, by the beach, so it's kinda the norm here to see people in flip flops.

and I agree with you. What it's so wrong about wearing flip flops in the first place?. Many people from this forum buy from the Gap store too, they've said it. And in the other hand I've seen ladies that come to my work wearing super nice clothes and jewerly, big old diamonds and Sh#t with fakes bags, and not talking fakes like the ones you post here and ask to be authenticate it, fakes like the LV with moons and stars with the LV logo, parchwork chanel , MC chanel,:confused1: I've seen them both.