Scarves and moving overseas

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. This may sound a little silly, but here it goes. A few years ago, I moved, and packed my scarves. The movers opened the box containing my scarves and stole the first one. This makes me kind of paranoid. I may have to move "over-ocean" in a few months, and I'm wondering how I should proceed with my most valued possessions (~10 scarves, a few jewels including 2 rings too small for me to wear, 2 LV handbags).
    - I can't possibly wear everything at once
    - in my handbag... but what about pickpockets? Or if someone runs away with my luggage?
    - in my suitcase... but what if it's lost (it happened to my dad once, and that's not funny)
    - in our container... there'll be a 3-weeks delay between packing and unpacking, plus customs to pass. That seems risky :sad:

What would you think would be the safest way?

TIA :smile:

2. Can you ship it insured?

3. I have never been in your position but I do understand your dilemma. Can you pack your valuables together in one box and have it sent to your new residence registered and insured? I know it is possible to send such high value packages through the USPS by registered mail whereby chain of custody is carefully documented. I know it is not cheap but at least you have peace of mind in the event of loss. FedEx and UPS may have similar services. Otherwise, this is a good question and I would be interested to hear how others have handled similar situations.

4. I packed every scarf/shawl/twilly I had in ziplock bags and put them into my hand luggage.

All H goes into hand luggage. Haven't had an issue.

5. Sandwich your precious boxes/scarves between bed linen, towels and blankets or other things that won't look like 'shiny things to magpies'

6. i would do the same

7. This is how I would do it. No other way I would do this.

8. Same here, all in my hand luggage

9. hand luggage, especially if it's a manageable amount! you can always send the boxes by container :smile:

10. I would do a mixture of this:

and hand luggage for the most loved ones. I would definitely not do suitcase (maybe depending a bit on the airline), the insurance will also not be high enough.

11. I'm moving next week, and below is my home-made solution for my scarves. (approx. 4-5 hours, as I'm not really good at sewing!)

I found a tutorial online for a generic case that should be made in 15 minutes. However, I added pockets for my scarfrings inside, and used a difficult fabric, so it took a little (!) bit longer.

I'm quite happy with the result!

Attached Files:

12. Use your carryon for things like this. They won't take up much space and it will be in your care the entire trip.

More stealing and damage (I lost a computer; turned in a report and was denied compensation) is done to checked baggage than we can imagine. I'll never put anything in checked bags that I can't afford to lose.

13. i moved overseas in november. I took my most valuables (my purses and jewelry and tory burch shoes) in my carry on. everything else went in checked luggage.

14. The only way to do it...& it is with you all the time...