Travel Scarves and moving overseas

Melora24

scarf lover
Jan 18, 2014
This may sound a little silly, but here it goes. A few years ago, I moved, and packed my scarves. The movers opened the box containing my scarves and stole the first one. This makes me kind of paranoid. I may have to move "over-ocean" in a few months, and I'm wondering how I should proceed with my most valued possessions (~10 scarves, a few jewels including 2 rings too small for me to wear, 2 LV handbags).
- I can't possibly wear everything at once
- in my handbag... but what about pickpockets? Or if someone runs away with my luggage?
- in my suitcase... but what if it's lost (it happened to my dad once, and that's not funny)
- in our container... there'll be a 3-weeks delay between packing and unpacking, plus customs to pass. That seems risky :sad:

What would you think would be the safest way?

TIA :smile:

I have never been in your position but I do understand your dilemma. Can you pack your valuables together in one box and have it sent to your new residence registered and insured? I know it is possible to send such high value packages through the USPS by registered mail whereby chain of custody is carefully documented. I know it is not cheap but at least you have peace of mind in the event of loss. FedEx and UPS may have similar services. Otherwise, this is a good question and I would be interested to hear how others have handled similar situations.

Sandwich your precious boxes/scarves between bed linen, towels and blankets or other things that won't look like 'shiny things to magpies'

I would do a mixture of this:

Sandwich your precious boxes/scarves between bed linen, towels and blankets or other things that won't look like 'shiny things to magpies'

and hand luggage for the most loved ones. I would definitely not do suitcase (maybe depending a bit on the airline), the insurance will also not be high enough.

I'm moving next week, and below is my home-made solution for my scarves. (approx. 4-5 hours, as I'm not really good at sewing!)

I found a tutorial online for a generic case that should be made in 15 minutes. However, I added pockets for my scarfrings inside, and used a difficult fabric, so it took a little (!) bit longer.

I'm quite happy with the result!

Attachments

• 1401569494605.jpg
    1401569494605.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 1401569571841.jpg
    1401569571841.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 179
  • 1401569608323.jpg
    1401569608323.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 173
Use your carryon for things like this. They won't take up much space and it will be in your care the entire trip.

More stealing and damage (I lost a computer; turned in a report and was denied compensation) is done to checked baggage than we can imagine. I'll never put anything in checked bags that I can't afford to lose.

i moved overseas in november. I took my most valuables (my purses and jewelry and tory burch shoes) in my carry on. everything else went in checked luggage.