Scarf first or clothes first? (Newbie question)

Between clothes and scarves, I like to choose scarves first. But, I've been finding that choosing shoes first helps make sure that I'm not all dressed up and then don't have shoes that work.

I don't wear shoes in the house, and if I haven't planned ahead, I often find that if I'm in a rush to get out the door (most days!), I end up making a substandard shoe choice-(then my whole outfit if off kilter) because I didn't plan it to start with.

I have this same problem. I haven't figured a solution yet, but sometimes choosing my shoes works, but then again somedays, I just really want to wear something specific....

My poor scarves don't get much wear now that I am a SAHM mom of little ones, but when I used to wear them more I would almost always pick the outfit first, then add a scarf. Maybe 10% of the time! I'd have a hankering to wear one particular scarf and would build the outfit around that. I think it probably is like any other accessory or piece of clothing -- there are some days that you just really want to wear a particular thing, so you work everything else around it.

As far as scarf mistakes, I definitely have some that I didn't wear, even back when I was wearing them more. For me, there were two reasons for this.
1. I'd end up with a color way that I loved but that didn't quite work with my wardrobe. Do example, I have a pinkish/sepia one that is lovely but doesn't actually go well with anything other than one dark brown blazer. Lesson - think in detail about what you would wear with it, don't just go for a pretty design/cw.
2. I have one or two that I could never figure out how to tie them in a way that I loved. I loved them laid out flat, but didn't end up loving them tied. I have learned that I prefer designs to go all the way to the edge, or have a contrast hem, rather than a blank border all the way around.

Sweet D Lee, Take a survey of all of the beauties that you already have. Tell yourself that unless something in a colorway comes that you don't already own and that you are absolutely BREATHLESS pops up, you will resist the temptation. I found that when I started buying scarves four years ago, I went nuts over everything! The last two seasons, I didn't buy as many scarves as in seasons past. (This s/s season will do me in, I fear.) I have been on an Hermes bracelet binge lately, but now that those holes have been filled, I am really trying to show restraint, myself. I think not buying in bulk, but spreading out those things that make you swoon is something that I hope to do. I am sure that you are not alone in feeling this way.
Thx LB for your words of wisdom. ITA that when I first started my collection, I also went nuts over everything. I was so undiscerning!

I will choose a scarf after I've put on my entire outfit. It depends on weather, style, colors, etc. A lot of times I won't wear new scarves because....I don't want to mess them up!

(I know, I know...)

During the week I often start with clothes and shoes then pick a scarf that matches in terms of colour and style. Anything goes at the weekend!

Re. your question about avoiding mistakes, I'd agree with Ladybaga and say don't buy a scarf just because it's beautiful or popular, buy it because it looks beautiful on you and makes you glow. I don't have credit cards and only buy what I can afford with money that's actually in my bank account, so I also try to be honest with myself about whether I'll really get enough cost per wear out of it.

I only started buying H scarves a year ago and have so far only removed one purchase from my collection, which was from *Bay - Au Fil du Carré. The purple was too dark and the design far too busy for me. I gifted it to an Aunt, who loves it. There are 3 other scarves that I'm undecided about (also online purchases). They'll most probably go to new homes by the end of the year.

Enjoy your new H adventures!