Saw the new lucite lock black Paddy IRL and BARF!!

Was it a Chanel girl who posted here? She went to NM to buy another manufacturer's bag and walked out with this model^. I had never seen it before and fell in love with it right then and there? I now want an Ivory Chloe, only it has to be on sale and not too big, gulp....Now is not the time for me to be dong this, for many obvious reasons!

I am not jumping on the downer bandwagon! Today at Neiman's I saw the most spectacular white Paddy - a dome shape with a lucite lock. The guy SA demonstrated it to me and pointed out how much more lightweight it was. Not that I care about weight. If an elephant looked good on my back I would be hoisting it around. Anyway - this bag was squishy in a different way in that it still kinda held its shape. Nothing wrong with different? And would it look GREAT with floaty spring pastels and prints. I want it! The thing holding me back is its price at over $2100....
I'm sure that they will sell bags, but the whole thing is the cheapening of materials with the simultaneous rise of the price. :tdown: The whole concept is to make the most money while reducing costs. If I owned a business that would be my goal too, but at SOME point you have to say that quality counts too, and with these new bags it is obvious that quality is being sacrificed here. :crybaby: I know of no problem selling the original paddys due to the weight of the lock. Even now, when the paddys are available, they are the FIRST bags that are gone! (And this is several years after their "heyday" in '05 and '06:smile: Marc Jacobs did the same thing with the original "stella" bags. I have several of the original ones and as the popularity rose, he quickly changed the leather to what you see today. Not the thick, buttery leather that he originally used, but the spongy cheaper leather that you see in his bags today. That's one of the reasons I switched to the Chloe bags way back then....the quality of the Chloes was far superior to what MJ was making. But now I will hang on to my "old" Chloes, like I have hung on to my original MJ bags. They are nicer than anything I see out there at the moment. :tup: BTW, Diabro.net is getting beautiful, colorful Chloe paddingtons...I bought the "apple green", the "tangerine" and the new "aqua fresh", (which is still up there) and the leather and colors are absolutely gorgeous: buttery soft and smooshy with perfectly wonderful hardware. I don't know where they are getting their bags...perhaps Chloe is just making these for the far east, but they are the real thing and absolutely stunning:smile:

Beanie no one can argue with you about the rise in cost! It is disgusting and a major turn off. I can understand your anger. I know I'm holding on to my Chloe's; they aint going anywhere!

I saw the lucite lock on the Paddys during my recent trip to NM and I had the same reaction: yuck!!! I can understand trying to make the lock lighter, but you can keep it looking the same, can't you???

I saw the new Chloe Paddingtons at Nordie's and was disgusted! The lightweight leather looks so cheap! The lucite lock reminds me of children's toys. I have three Chloes, all with the gorgeous, squishy leather (black; taupe; nuage)). I will hang on to them! Today I took my black Paddy out.

I can't criticize - because I think I would have to see it in person. Sounds like they are trying to put a new twist on the paddington bag each time they re-issue the style - shame the twist seems to cheapen it...

Wow, I'm probably the only person that thought the lucite lock was cool. I also is would not last long, and would be prone to scratches and chips since its plastic. I love lucite jewelry like alexis bitta'sr, so it would be something that could work for me.

Wow, I'm probably the only person that thought the lucite lock was cool. I also is would not last long, and would be prone to scratches and chips since its plastic. I love lucite jewelry like alexis bitta'sr, so it would be something that could work for me.

You are not the ONLY one, I also love the lucite lock ....in fact I prefer it over the metal padlocks which I find clunky and heavy.

I was at Nordies last night getting picking up my MBMJ bag, and I could not help going past the chloe section:love: I happend to see a Paddy with the new lock, and was soooo sad at the quality of the leather compaired to my Whiskey Paddy. My whiskey paddy so soooooooo soft and beautiful. This bag look like it had yucky fake leather, and it was so stiff. Now I am slightly scared because my paddy is out getting fixed, and I hope that they don't mess with the leather quality:s