sales people should know their products, right?

May 12, 2008
off 5th is having a 30% off sale on jewelry, so i call my local off 5th and the lady had NO IDEA what michele watches they had. she went and looked, came back, and goes, 'well the watch i have in my hand says 'sapphire crystal' on the back of it....oh, actually they ALL say that on the back. sorry, i cant give you more information.' I'm like, 'HUH?!'

ughhhh what to do...

lol, saphire crystal (faint)
Well, maybe try asking for someone else on the phone who knows the products a bit better? It's always tough to buy things over the phone, it's harder when the SA has no clue about the products, sorry ~_~ good luck.

Do they have an employee specifically assigned to the jewelry counter? They might be the one to ask. I would also be ready to describe the appearance of models you're looking for.

Aren't the watches labeled with tags or anything?

I am not surprised, either.

Firstly, hourly rate employees at discount centers have a very high turnover, even if it's a higher end place. There is little incentive to train them intensely when you know the odds are that they will leave and be replaced within a year. It stinks but it's just the way it is. You're simply not going to find 'professionals' at an outlet location. In fact, it's a 50/50 shot to get an industry professional at any dept store counter.

Secondly, watches are very specific. I'm GIA trained and have been in the diamond/metals/jewelry business for years and I am far, far from a watch expert. I know brands, I know basic movements, I know roundabout prices but I have limited expertise (and that's an understandment). When I buy watches, I go to an expert and I keep a watchmaker on staff so my customers have someone reliable on which to rely.

Watches fall under jewelry but IMO it's a whole different ballgame, really.