sales people should know their products, right?

May 12, 2008
candyland
off 5th is having a 30% off sale on jewelry, so i call my local off 5th and the lady had NO IDEA what michele watches they had. she went and looked, came back, and goes, 'well the watch i have in my hand says 'sapphire crystal' on the back of it....oh, actually they ALL say that on the back. sorry, i cant give you more information.' I'm like, 'HUH?!'

ughhhh what to do...

Mar 19, 2008
Pacific Northwest
lol, saphire crystal (faint)
Well, maybe try asking for someone else on the phone who knows the products a bit better? It's always tough to buy things over the phone, it's harder when the SA has no clue about the products, sorry ~_~ good luck.

jan228

May 3, 2008
Do they have an employee specifically assigned to the jewelry counter? They might be the one to ask. I would also be ready to describe the appearance of models you're looking for.

Aren't the watches labeled with tags or anything?

GnomeNisse

Resident Gnome
Dec 28, 2008
under the toadstool
I am not surprised, either.

Firstly, hourly rate employees at discount centers have a very high turnover, even if it's a higher end place. There is little incentive to train them intensely when you know the odds are that they will leave and be replaced within a year. It stinks but it's just the way it is. You're simply not going to find 'professionals' at an outlet location. In fact, it's a 50/50 shot to get an industry professional at any dept store counter.

Secondly, watches are very specific. I'm GIA trained and have been in the diamond/metals/jewelry business for years and I am far, far from a watch expert. I know brands, I know basic movements, I know roundabout prices but I have limited expertise (and that's an understandment). When I buy watches, I go to an expert and I keep a watchmaker on staff so my customers have someone reliable on which to rely.

Watches fall under jewelry but IMO it's a whole different ballgame, really.