Saint Laurent Sac De Jour...

My all time favourite bag! Thought I’ll post mine for references:

2019 Small, smooth black leather, gold hardware, non detachable inner purse, non adjustable strap. I use this mainly for work (lawyer), as it fits my small PC and all other stuff and gives a serious business vibe. I protect the handles with small Hermès scarves which I vary with the seasons (orange and red for summer/spring and blue for winter/fall).

2017 small, grained caramel leather with contrast stitching, silver hardware (like gold better but you barely notice the hardware), detachable inner purse, non adjustable strap, (purchased orange Organizer). I use this mainly outside of work (weekends etc) as my go to carry-a-lot-of-****-around bag. I am absolutely in love with the contrast stitching (which gives me Hermès vibes), I usually never replace the scarf but I take it down to wash it sometimes (in a pillow case, lowest program on washing machine, only liquid silk washer, lay flat on a towel to dry).

2022 Nano, crocodile sea turquoise leather, gold hardware, adjustable strap. My newest purchase which I absolutely love This is my bag when I don’t have to carry stuff (even for work when I don’t need to carry my PC). I use it a lot Cross body or just hold it (you can put it over the arm as well, see picture). In Order to protect myself for pickpockets I put my wallet and phone in a small Hermès purse (those bracelets and stuff come in) and close it and fasten the straps on the thingies where the strap normally goes in.

I’m contemplating buying a soft version as well. I initially bought those as a substitute for the Birkin as I didn’t like how slouchy it gets but I started to appreciate the slouchy style more so maybe a soft SDJ or a Birkin (if they’ll ever offer me one) is in the cards one day ☺️

Which one is your favourite of those three?

View attachment 5830986

View attachment 5830987

View attachment 5830988

View attachment 5830989

View attachment 5830990

View attachment 5830991

View attachment 5830992

View attachment 5830993

View attachment 5830994

View attachment 5830995

View attachment 5830996
all gorgeous ! That contrast stitching!! Wow!

I just ordered a small in "Very good" condition for $815 ($872 with tax) on Fashionphile. 10 years later, it seems this bag can be considered a classic and not just a trend. I went back and forth on whether to get this because it does not have the clochette, lock, and keys.

What do you all think about the price I paid in October 2023? This one is returnable so if I don't find the quality true to description or don't find the price to be a great deal I have a way out.

(When I receive it I will make my own post with pics. I just joined so I can only comment)

It's a good price. Not having the lock wouldn't bother me. However I don't buy anything below excellent from fashionphile. Good luck!

It's a good price. Not having the lock wouldn't bother me. However I don't buy anything below excellent from fashionphile. Good luck!
Thanks @HavPlenty! Yeah I have never used the clotchette with my bags anyway...it seems like for a lot of people it completes the look, but I find the look on a classic bag more sleek and classic without it....

I have not received this bag yet, but I actually am having second thoughts. There is a similar grey one (but with all the accessories) that I was thinking about, but when I made the purchase they were the same price. So I got the black bc it's more effortless to go with everything as everyday bag. But the grey one has come down by $100!!! so now I am thinking about getting the grey one and returning the black one....what is risky is that the grey is not returnable...what do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-28 114212.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-28 114212.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi everyone! I'm considering getting a baby (or small?) sac de jour grained in caramel/brown colour, contrast stitching if possible and gold hardware. I will purchase it at the end of next year when I finish my PhD.

I've heard contrasting reviews, such as not being able to fully close the bag so things fall out/thieves dream bag. Some have said it's too heavy, others say that it sits on the body in an awkward way in crossbody (which I don't care about). Others say it's the perfect handbag and the removable compartment makes it more versatile. I love the shape, top handles and have been eyeing it up for years. What do you guys think of your sac de jours? Do you recommend baby or small? I'm worried about weight if I go for small, but I tend to carrying a lot of things (albeit light e.g. scarves, gloves, compact umbrella etc)

Last edited:
Thanks @HavPlenty! Yeah I have never used the clotchette with my bags anyway...it seems like for a lot of people it completes the look, but I find the look on a classic bag more sleek and classic without it....

I have not received this bag yet, but I actually am having second thoughts. There is a similar grey one (but with all the accessories) that I was thinking about, but when I made the purchase they were the same price. So I got the black bc it's more effortless to go with everything as everyday bag. But the grey one has come down by $100!!! so now I am thinking about getting the grey one and returning the black one....what is risky is that the grey is not returnable...what do you think?
Oh sorry I didn't see this before you purchased. I see from your other thread that you already purchased and are now having doubts. My opinion is that I would never buy a bag that I could not at least exchange. The real real does not accept returns on handbags so buying from them is a gamble. I can say for the price that you paid you received what you paid for. A SDJ in great condition would not be that price. The quality usually coincides with the price on resale items. Now if you would purchase from a place that had new items at a discount like Off 5th, *******, Gilt.com and Jomas Shop then that would be a different story.

Reactions: JenG85
Oh sorry I didn't see this before you purchased. I see from your other thread that you already purchased and are now having doubts. My opinion is that I would never buy a bag that I could not at least exchange. The real real does not accept returns on handbags so buying from them is a gamble. I can say for the price that you paid you received what you paid for. A SDJ in great condition would not be that price. The quality usually coincides with the price on resale items. Now if you would purchase from a place that had new items at a discount like Off 5th, *******, Gilt.com and Jomas Shop then that would be a different story.
@HavPlenty thanks! you said "I can say for the price that you received what you paid for." so you are thinking that it's probably a fake because of how cheap it was? * tears * does this mean that TRR knowingly sells fakes but just prices them cheaper??

Hi everyone! I'm considering getting a baby (or small?) sac de jour grained in caramel/brown colour, contrast stitching if possible and gold hardware. I will purchase it at the end of next year when I finish my PhD.

I've heard contrasting reviews, such as not being able to fully close the bag so things fall out/thieves dream bag. Some have said it's too heavy, others say that it sits on the body in an awkward way in crossbody (which I don't care about). Others say it's the perfect handbag and the removable compartment makes it more versatile. I love the shape, top handles and have been eyeing it up for years. What do you guys think of your sac de jours? Do you recommend baby or small? I'm worried about weight if I go for small, but I tend to carrying a lot of things (albeit light e.g. scarves, gloves, compact umbrella etc)
The Small really is like a medium size in any other brand. The Baby is smaller but still a good size for everyday. The bag has no closures. With the small in the grained leather is very tight. Not easy to stick your hand in and out of. It can be quite heavy even without a lot of things in it. This is baffling to me why this is. The sleekness and clean lines on this bag is just classic. I adore it. I also have the Baby and it is nowhere near as heavy. Yes its smaller but I load the bag with everything that will fit and it never gets heavy. They are both open tops but I bought a bag organizer with a zippered top for the Baby. It works well. Good luck.
@HavPlenty thanks! you said "I can say for the price that you received what you paid for." so you are thinking that it's probably a fake because of how cheap it was? * tears * does this mean that TRR knowingly sells fakes but just prices them cheaper??
No I have no idea if it is fake or not. I am speaking only of the condition of the bag with bent handles and all.

Reactions: JenG85
SDJ lovers please help x ideally I’d love both a dark and light but for my first sac de jour which would you recommend? I’m looking at these colours; which would you choose? I already have a Lou Lou in beige and a Chloe saddle bag medium in black so I’m leaning towards the black… but I wear a lot of light clothes so am torn!
IMG_1252.png

SDJ lovers please help x ideally I’d love both a dark and light but for my first sac de jour which would you recommend? I’m looking at these colours; which would you choose? I already have a Lou Lou in beige and a Chloe saddle bag medium in black so I’m leaning towards the black… but I wear a lot of light clothes so am torn!
View attachment 5908813
I have had this bag in any combo you can think of. The large (I mean large) red smooth leather, medium gray smooth leather, nano pebbled, baby pebbled.

I will never again buy a smooth leather, at least not from Ysl. It doesn’t wear well. I sent my gray one to the leather surgeons for a spa treatment and $120.00 later, it still wasn’t great.

I would go with pebbled leather but with the neutrals you are considering, you can’t go wrong.

View attachment 5908813
I love the black. I like the beige but it wouldn't be a first choice for this bag. I prefer taupe for a lighter color. I agree about the pebbled leather. Its very durable.

Reactions: julesaus
I have had this bag in any combo you can think of. The large (I mean large) red smooth leather, medium gray smooth leather, nano pebbled, baby pebbled.

I will never again buy a smooth leather, at least not from Ysl. It doesn’t wear well. I sent my gray one to the leather surgeons for a spa treatment and $120.00 later, it still wasn’t great.

I would go with pebbled leather but with the neutrals you are considering, you can’t go wrong.
Wow thank you! I was definitely looking at the smooth leather but will check out pebbled leather now
Really appreciate your help!

What size do you guys think works best for me?

I am interested in the Sac de Jour as a Birkin alternative and the small gives me those vibes much more than the baby size. I love it!

But my husband prefers the baby on me, and I have to admit, if I weren’t going for Birkin vibes I’d like this size too because I don’t carry a ton (and I realize there are smaller Birkins out there :smile: )

And no, I wouldn’t be able to get both ha ha.
095CAB55-AB69-4833-9717-EE7368327350.jpeg

What size do you guys think works best for me?

I am interested in the Sac de Jour as a Birkin alternative and the small gives me those vibes much more than the baby size. I love it!

But my husband prefers the baby on me, and I have to admit, if I weren’t going for Birkin vibes I’d like this size too because I don’t carry a ton (and I realize there are smaller Birkins out there :smile: )

And no, I wouldn’t be able to get both ha ha.
View attachment 5914983

Both look great on you. I have the baby size as I thought the small looked more businesslike. I have to admit though that I have never tried a bag on in a mirror, I just buy what like that can fit what I need.

Reactions: Farkvam