Sad, hard to read but IMPORTANT story about animals who are in the pound...

This really horrible, but I have also ready some articles that not all of the animals die right away after the injection...meaning some of them are still alive as they are thrown into the bin/bags of other dogs/cats. :sad:

I just can't believe that our society, which I truly believe is overall caring and compassionate, allow this to happen.

Just like the author of the article says, if this helps just one person decide to adopt/rescue instead of buy from a breeder or pet shop, it has made a HUGE impact.

I myself feel guilty b/c I bought both of my Chis from breeders. However, after doing my Arizona Humane Society volunteer orientation over the past few weeks and going to the Maricopa Animal/Rabies control (aka the pound) I made a promise to myself (and all the pups out there waiting for 'forever' homes) that I will NEVER EVER EVER buy a dog again.

I will adopt ALL of my pets from now on, and hopefully become a foster home once SO and I get married and buy our own house.

Best post I've read today, and thank you for posting this article. :tup:

Thank you so much for posting this - it drives me crazy the way some people breed their dogs because "the puppies are so cute" and "of course they will find them good homes" - the ignorance and willingness to turn a blind eye to the suffering of so MANY pets that are dumped and will never know good homes is sick, selfish, and hearbreaking.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! It kills me and angers me to know of people buying animals from breeders (and sometimes spending thousands!) when there are sooooo many sweet dogs and cats in shelters and rescues that need homes. I just don't get it.

The article was heartbreaking, and I hope it helps change people's minds about buying from breeders!

Thank you so much for posting this - it drives me crazy the way some people breed their dogs because "the puppies are so cute" and "of course they will find them good homes" - the ignorance and willingness to turn a blind eye to the suffering of so MANY pets that are dumped and will never know good homes is sick, selfish, and hearbreaking.

ITA. What's even more bizarre and infuriating is that among these truthful, heartbreaking posts, there are still posts on this forum from people who are ignorantly and selfishly breeding their own pets. These are the same people who are surprised when something doesn't go as planned, because they aren't experienced breeders and shouldn't have been forcing their dogs to have puppies in the first place. I will never understand the selfishness and stupidity of it.

If your dog is big, black or any of the 'bully' breeds (pit bull, rottweiler, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted. If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.

I got so choked up reading this post, but especially this part... My Oliver was a big, black, bully breed that my mom & I adopted from the local Humane Society... Evidently, he was one of the lucky few. This story broke my heart... :crybaby:

Thank you for posting. I always find it appaling that some people give their dog to a shelter because of those reasons, it´s amazingly selfish and childish.

I didn't read this before I adopted.... you are right! My cat who died after 19 years... she was rejected by her mom I got here when she was soo tiny... they thought she wasn't going to survive... i bottle fed her ... I remember her first "hard" food... it took her about half an hour to eat it :smile: she was a great cat. It is sooo sad that animals have to endure these things.. they are the best and loyal companions ever.

ITA. What's even more bizarre and infuriating is that among these truthful, heartbreaking posts, there are still posts on this forum from people who are ignorantly and selfishly breeding their own pets. These are the same people who are surprised when something doesn't go as planned, because they aren't experienced breeders and shouldn't have been forcing their dogs to have puppies in the first place. I will never understand the selfishness and stupidity of it.

REALLY? Oh my God. We need to set these people straight. PFers are doing this?

What I LOVE about this forum is that we really care about the welfare of animals. Sometimes you just have to be brutally honest with people. I will never forget the post made by a PFer who wanted to dump her cat at the pound and was luckily dissuaded... :tdown:

oh, this article has me totally bawling. it makes me so sad...

my ruby is a shelter dog, who was only hours away from being euthanized when i adopted her. she had actually been adopted and "returned" because she was, well, such a puppy. all she needed was someone to love her. without a hesitation in my mind, i know ruby seriously saved my life. that funny looking mixed breed who they called ugly and unadoptable...yeah, her. you NEVER know.

bless you all who love shelter pets. they KNOW what you have done for them.

I can't even imagine what it's like to "buy" your pet. I grew up in a house that will save any animal it can, our average was 6 cats and 3 dogs (that we had at any given time), if there was more room we probably would have had more animals. My parents are both animal lovers and taught my sister and I from a young age that animals couldn't speak for themselves, so we needed to be their voice. My parents put out 3 bowls of food on their front porch, a couple more on the back porch and even a few in the garage just in case any animal (they have a family of raccoons that lives in a tree in their back yard) happens to wander into their yard and is hungry. If the animal (usually cats and dogs) happens to stick around we will take them to our vet and get their shots up to date and if they aren't already fixed we have that done as well (of course if the animal has tags or a chip we return them to their home) and then bring them back home. The last dog that my parents got (she was a 4 month old puppy at the time) was brought to them from my brother-in-law, he was doing an appraisal on someones house and heard the puppy (she was being kept in a box), so he asked the lady why the dog was in a box, and she responded because they were taking her to the pound because they thought she was a pit bull. He asked if the dog had done anything to make them come to the decision to take her to the pound and the lady said no, it was just because of the breed they thought she was. So my brother-in-law asked if he could take her (he knew that my parents would be more than happy to add to the family), the lady didn't care. My brother-in-law told her not to worry that she was going to a really good home, and lady was like whatever, we don't care what happens to her. It still makes me angry to think about it, Cinnamon (that's what we named her) was such a sweet puppy (really skittish at first, scared of boxes) and has grown to be such a fun, loving dog and ended up not being a pit bull but a rhodesian ridgeback. I can't imagine surrendering an animal to a shelter, I don't think that I could live with myself, it saddens me that people don't even give it a second thought. My DH already knows that when we buy a house that I will bring home any animal I find, dog, cat, chicken, goat, pig or anything else, they all need a good loving home.