Sacred beliefs?

you are confusing two ideas here. the laws were changed and thank God they were. but the hearts of racists were not changed. in fact as you know, there is a whole constituency of people in the south that want to still suceed from the union and go back to slavery.
I'm not confusing anything. The majority of Americans espouse the belief that racism (the belief that some races are superior to others) is wrong. Anti-racism is the basis of public school education and popular television shows. That wasn't always the case. As for legislation you might want to read up on this sociological notion. It talks about how actions actually change the disposition of people. That means, acting as if one believes something can actually make the people eventually begin to believe that thing. It is particularly true in a population over time than in single individuals.

Some cultures still practice slavery. Are you going to condemn me for condemning that as well?.

Of course not. I never alluded anything to that. You keep twisting my words and if you continue I'll just drop out of this thread cause you say you want intelligent discussion but you seem to keep going on the defense instead.

No, you are not powerless, bagnshoo. If the abolitionists thought they were powerless to change the minds of white Southerners, blacks would still be enslaved. The danger of not allowing certain beliefs to be challenged (like the belief that some races are less than others) is clear and real.

i know this isn't the point of the thread, but did abolitionists really change the mind of white southerners? even as recently as the 1960s there has been open discontent and hatred on the part of white southerners at the integration movement, civil rights movement, etc. if their minds were really changed, why all the fuss in little rock, arkansas when black students were allowed into the historically white schools? i would have to agree with bagsnshoofetish that it is difficult and often times a waste of energy to try to change the deeply ingrained mindsets of certain individuals. as she pointed out, sometimes that is just their *reality* and nothing except their own willingness to listen will change that.

i know this isn't the point of the thread, but did abolitionists really change the mind of white southerners? even as recently as the 1960s there has been open discontent and hatred on the part of white southerners at the integration movement, civil rights movement, etc. if their minds were really changed, why all the fuss in little rock, arkansas when black students were allowed into the historically white schools? i would have to agree with bagsnshoofetish that it is difficult and often times a waste of energy to try to change the deeply ingrained mindsets of certain individuals. as she pointed out, sometimes that is just their *reality* and nothing except their own willingness to listen will change that.
Of course there was resistance, the change wasn't instant. But over time, open racism has become a minority belief, not a majority. Evidence of this is in the public sphere. Please reference my last post.

I'm not confusing anything. The majority of Americans espouse the belief that racism (the belief that some races are superior to others) is wrong. Anti-racism is the basis of public school education and popular television shows. That wasn't always the case. As for legislation you might want to read up on this sociological notion. It talks about how actions actually change the disposition of people. That means, acting as if one believes something can actually make the people eventually begin to believe that thing. It is particularly true in a population over time than in single individuals.

again, not the point of the thread, but racism can be so much more subversive than just thinking one race is superior to another. what about assigning certain characteristics to certain ethnic groups? like being stingy, being lazy or hardworking, being violent, being excessively smart, being good athletes. those aren't necessarily negative characteristics, but isn't all part of racism?
also, there has to be a meeting point somewhere. yes, we can act a certain way to make others eventually come to see our point of view, but others need to have a certain willingness themselves. otherwise, the lesson to be learned/discussed, etc. falls on deaf ears.

also, there has to be a meeting point somewhere. yes, we can act a certain way to make others eventually come to see our point of view, but others need to have a certain willingness themselves. otherwise, the lesson to be learned/discussed, etc. falls on deaf ears.
Sure, but I believe that social evolution in society throughout history proves that this change is possible, which is why open discourse is necessary. :yes:

Of course there was resistance, the change wasn't instant. But over time, open racism has become a minority belief, not a majority. Evidence of this is in the public sphere. Please reference my last post.

ah, i would have to disagree. please do look at the public sphere. racism/discrimination, etc is all very subversive now. sure, there isn't blatant lynchings or mobbing or genocide in the US, but look at the media. what kind of images are portrayed of different groups of people? all STEREOTYPES! are all gay men flamboyant hairdressers or catty divas like that guy on flipping out? NO!! are all asian women submissive and highly sexual? NO!!! anyways, i know many people who proclaim not to be racist.sexist/whatever-ist, but then they say things that shock me! i know someone who says that he is not racist, but makes comments like, "oh the cable guy is (whatever ethnicity) that's why he's so late. you know how those people are."

Whey do people think that there is some sort of belief sanctum? You know, the usual, religion, etc. Why are these beliefs above challenge/reproach. "Respect someone else's belief" is oft-repeated. Why should I? What's the difference between beliefs that I should respect and those that I shouldn't? Do you respect racists' beliefs?

this is how your OP began. it sounds to me like you were referring mostly to religious beliefs here or at least drawing from that POV. So you cannot fault me or others for sticking with this tangent. We were only responding to your words.

.....There was a huge controversy over whether the earth was round or flat, with some on the flat earth side evoking religious belief (the Bible's quote, the "four corners of the earth") as a defense. Turns out, there was an objective answer, the earth is round.

Those people grossly misinterpreted the Bible. By that rationale those people should have at least thought the earth was square then!

I'm thinking you were angry when you first posted and since then have fine tuned what you were actually trying to say. Your focus seems to have come more clearer as the thread has gone on. I do agree with what you are saying about yes, challenge things and yes change things for the better but thats not how your OP started out. It was just an outright rant at anyone who thought differently from you at first....at least thats how it came out.

Sure, but I believe that social evolution in society throughout history proves that this change is possible, which is why open discourse is necessary. :yes:

yes, ITA agree that open discourse is necessary, but only when people are willing to engage, AND when both sides can respect each other's views. you have to at least respect that person's view somewhat so you can understand why they think that way. that's all i'm trying to say!

But over time, open racism has become a minority belief, not a majority.

:wtf: Oh Aslan you are so wrong. open racism is alive and well. the white supremists don't hide their rallies from public view. look at the middle east. their racism against each other is on national t.v. every damn night. open your eyes. even if people aren't out in the open (where I prefer them to be so I can keep tab on their sorry asses) they hide it in their hearts. just because they are not open about it doesn't mean crap.

:wtf: Oh Aslan you are so wrong. open racism is alive and well. the white supremists don't hide their rallies from public view. look at the middle east. their racism against each other is on national t.v. every damn night. open your eyes. even if people aren't out in the open (where I prefer them to be so I can keep tab on their sorry asses) they hide it in their hearts. just because they are not open about it doesn't mean crap.
i know right? i feel like the hidden subversive hatred is so much more dangerous that open hatred. ah well, interesting thread though!

just because they are not open about it doesn't mean crap.
If you honestly believe that we haven't made any progress in race relations I honestly don't know what to say. I don't know why it's not enough that anti-racism is publicly espoused by the government and taught in school. Of course there is still racism, there will always be racism But to deny the momentous progress (that is, make it seem incremental or insignificant) that civil rights leaders have made is a serious slap in their faces, IMO.

I see know that you have left off discussing the body of this thread. Whoever wants to argue about race can start a new thread.

this is how your OP began. it sounds to me like you were referring mostly to religious beliefs here or at least drawing from that POV. So you cannot fault me or others for sticking with this tangent. We were only responding to your words.
I know that people can easily become confused by examples. They will think something in the example bears upon the point when it in fact, does not. That's why it's just an example, not the point.

I'm thinking you were angry when you first posted and since then have fine tuned what you were actually trying to say. Your focus seems to have come more clearer as the thread has gone on. I do agree with what you are saying about yes, challenge things and yes change things for the better but thats not how your OP started out. It was just an outright rant at anyone who thought differently from you at first....at least thats how it came out.
Great, I'm glad you agree. I was at work when I first posted, was angry and didn't have time to write a book.