Rumors of Department Store Chanel shakedown

Yes one of my Saks SA's said something similar. That he wouldn't be sending pics etc of leather goods because the company "opted out" of paying them. He will still send shoes & RTW. He usually also sends things like Dior & Fendi and will continue that. I guess it won't be worth it to hustle up the "internet" customers if they won't get paid.

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: lulu212121
I've been debating on purchasing a classic from the Saks/Neiman marcus.....but I didn't want to pay the price......but now, if they're copying hermes, it means after Sunday no SA is even going to sell me one unless I buy some RTW (which the never have my size anyway.
So, I guess my question is.....is tomorrow my now or never to get a classic?

Reactions: fashionelite
I've been debating on purchasing a classic from the Saks/Neiman marcus.....but I didn't want to pay the price......but now, if they're copying hermes, it means after Sunday no SA is even going to sell me one unless I buy some RTW (which the never have my size anyway.
Is it your unicorn?

Wait what? They will not sell handbags unless we buy rtw? Even the stand alone boutiques?

People are just speculating that this means they are going to the Hermes model for classics.....if that is the case, I'll never get one
It makes no sense. I think they want to shift to the H model as only being sold in their own stand alone boutiques and not in department stores. And torturing clients to buy random things to be worthy of being offered a bag. So dumb because their collections and totally different to H.

I thought boutique advisors are not paid on commission for leather goods and fashion jewelry anyway? Not sure how their compensation structure is but seems like they are doing ok. But likely that department store sales people might rely more on commission so this is definitely a bummer.

Reactions: peke<3cc
Visited a Chanel NM location today and was corrected when I asked if other NM location carried a particular item. It's "Chanel now," I was told, "not NM."

Okay then, I will "NOT" be shopping at "THIS" Chanel.

I then went to purchase a lovely pair of shoes from Loewe from a far friendlier SA.

Chanel is screwing themselves by making themselves think they are anything close to Hermes. At this point, I'd be hard pressed to buy from either brand. I'm waiting on one last QB before I quit the H game, and just buy whatever I like without some 'chase' in mind.

With Chanel doing this, I'd rather go to Dior where I'm welcomed all the time and treated well no matter what I choose to spend my money on. Shopping should be enjoyable, not make you feel less than adequate!

Last edited:
I work with an amazing SA at the Chanel boutique in NM. The stand-alone boutique only sells handbags, SLGs, and accessories (scarves, jewelry). Several years ago Chanel required that all of the SAs there be Chanel employees. NM employees working in the boutique had the option of joining Chanel or remaining with NM and going elsewhere in the store. Chanel also has a stand-alone store in the mall that currently only carries handbags, SLGs, accessories and shoes. I prefer to shop at NM because of the rewards that I get but do check the stand-alone if NM doesn’t have a bag or SLG that I want.

My NM sells Chanel shoes and has a limited selection of clothing outside of the leather goods area, which I routinely see NM SAs selling. My NM SA is unhappy with me because I don’t use her to buy my handbags. If the Chanel SA goes to the effort to show me various handbags and help me make a selection I don’t feel right sending in my NM SA to take the sale. My NM SA also confronted my Chanel SA to “remind her” that I am her client. It all made me very uncomfortable and surprised me. My NM SA gives me exceptional service in many ways.

It makes no sense. I think they want to shift to the H model as only being sold in their own stand alone boutiques and not in department stores. And torturing clients to buy random things to be worthy of being offered a bag. So dumb because their collections and totally different to H.
Totally

Reactions: Liberté