Rude/catty comments regarding your designer jewelry and watches

The only thing I have gotten was a remark from my sister in law which was "every one assumes your stuff is fake, because you really don't have the life style that says I wear designer" - UH WTF? Just because I choose to drive a 10 year old paid for car and live in an apartment where I am not responsible for the upkeep...

Ok, I have had people say when looking at my wedding ring "your husband must really love you!" because my ring is considered bigger than average. They don't mean that mean, but I always think "oh, so if my ring was smaller, it's because he loved me less!?" lol!
DH told me that it's just people admiring it but not knowing what to say. It's usually men.

OMG, Swanky... Although I don't have a huge ring, like some of the other ladies posting here, I get this a lot.
This comment is the most awkward to me. I know they probably just don't "know any better," but it still makes me feel a little weird. : /

My ring isnt designer but when I first got engaged.. there was a table of girls behind me at work in the cafe' and they were all whispering about my ring not being real.. When I got up to leave I walked over to them stuck my hand out and said "here's a close up of it since you seem so interested in it.. and yes its real."..

I have also heard through the grapevine at work someone asked how my husband could afford a $10,000 ring... where they got that number is beyond me and they have no idea what my husband even does...

Those are the only two times I have ever heard anything about any jewelry or shoes.

This the WORST... Where do these ppl get their figures (since it's pretty clear they have NO IDEA how expensive luxury items truly are...)?

It makes me wanna snap back with, "...it was actually almost three times that," but I just shrug it off. Some people, I tell ya... <sighs> LOL

This the WORST... Where do these ppl get their figures (since it's pretty clear they have NO IDEA how expensive luxury items truly are...)?

It makes me wanna snap back with, "...it was actually almost three times that," but I just shrug it off. Some people, I tell ya... <sighs> LOL

I just smile and nod.. its sad people have such low self esteem they have to put others down to feel good.

My ring isnt designer but when I first got engaged.. there was a table of girls behind me at work in the cafe' and they were all whispering about my ring not being real.. When I got up to leave I walked over to them stuck my hand out and said "here's a close up of it since you seem so interested in it.. and yes its real."..

I have also heard through the grapevine at work someone asked how my husband could afford a $10,000 ring... where they got that number is beyond me and they have no idea what my husband even does...

Those are the only two times I have ever heard anything about any jewelry or shoes.

What chutzpa to talk about you like that, kudos to you for saying something. I once had a similar experience in college. I was sitting at the same table in a cafeteria with two or three Russian girls who were talking in Russian. Even though I understood none of what they were saying, I felt as though I was being talked about. So I said to them just as I was getting up to leave, "you never know who's mom speaks Russian, just keep that in mind next time you have a conversation." Lol you should have seen the looks of guilt on their faces! I made it sound like my parent was Russian and that I understood what they said. Btw, my dh is Russian, so I have nothing against Russians lol.

The only thing I have gotten was a remark from my sister in law which was "every one assumes your stuff is fake, because you really don't have the life style that says I wear designer" - UH WTF? Just because I choose to drive a 10 year old paid for car and live in an apartment where I am not responsible for the upkeep...

I think it's unanimous that we here at tpf want to give your sil a collective slap in the face for being a first rate witch with a b in front of it instead of the w. That is just a bitter woman to talk like that to people, pity her and never let her rent space in your head, she's clearly got some aggression issues to talk like that.

Oh honey, that story just breaks my heart! I'm the queen of cheap but if a $108 hoodie keeps you warm and happy, that's not really much at all for a garment that gives one bliss. My mom, a Depression baby more frugal than most of us could ever imagine, used to say "It's only expensive if you don't wear it." It sounds as if you get a great deal of happiness, warmth and wear out of the hoodie, so really you didn't pay much at all for it, not in the great sum of life anyway. A life we all know in which it isn't always so easy to find happiness, especially not in simple everyday enduring joys. But then it's no one else's business anyway how much it did cost, or what you spent, because, well, it's not anyone's business.

Reading the stories in this thread leaves me with a great deal of sadness. Why are people so obsessed with determining whether someone else can afford something, and then quickly passing judgement like an executioner because of it? What right do people have to do this, and to be so nasty, cruel and condescending when they do? Absolutely none, but yet they do it. What a horror human nature is sometimes.

Darkangel, I hope you continue to enjoy your hard-earned hoodie and ignore the clods. You deserve all the happiness it brings you! :blossom:

I think we need to change your screen name to BigHeartSue. You wrote the most thoughtful considerate post I've ever read on tpf. And your Mom is a wise woman indeed. ((((((BigHeartSue)))))):hugs:

What chutzpa to talk about you like that, kudos to you for saying something. I once had a similar experience in college. I was sitting at the same table in a cafeteria with two or three Russian girls who were talking in Russian. Even though I understood none of what they were saying, I felt as though I was being talked about. So I said to them just as I was getting up to leave, "you never know who's mom speaks Russian, just keep that in mind next time you have a conversation." Lol you should have seen the looks of guilt on their faces! I made it sound like my parent was Russian and that I understood what they said. Btw, my dh is Russian, so I have nothing against Russians lol.

I totally agree.. unfortunately the same person also said that "she and her husband will never make that stupid Amway business they own work.."... I just smile and nod because I know she is a very unhappy person inside.

Lol, if you judged our net worth by the car that we have you'd be very wrong. People send their money in different areas and sometimes don't spend to save. Good for you for knowing what is important for you!

I've gotten comments on my Tiffany jewelry in the past, nothing lately. 99% of the time I get positive compliments, but I did get some "wasted money" types of comments. Whatever, it is always sad to see people who are so focused on what others do!!

I have a couple of Tiffany's pieces and I've had coworkers and even family members say "it's cute but not worth the price" type comments. My mindset is that I'd rather have an original than a "Tiffany style".so while yes i could've gotten a key with diamonds from Macy's for around the same price as my silver key, it wouldn't be an original design just a replica and that would've bothered me.

PS. Im sorry for some of the super rude comments some of you have received. People need to mind their own business.

How rude!!! Your SIL reminds me of mine. My SIL thinks that I spend all of my hubby's money and that I stole her brother away from her when we got married. Well, the next time she makes comments about my bags or jewelry, I am going to tell her that I make more than her brother so I can spend my hard earned money on whatever I want.