RM on HSN

I think that is a little different. MbMJ bags are not cheaper versions of MJ bags.

If the "Minkette" line were a series of lower-cost designs that were nothing like the main line and was sold in the same stores, that would be different than creating a line of cheaper "copies" of her own designs for a discount retailer.

What I inferred from the banning of codes was that RM did not want her brand to be considered a "discount" brand where we only bought them if they were discounted. And now she creates a line for a discount retailer, which kind of goes against the idea behind the code thing.

ETA: sgw beat me to it (and said it better)!

If the HSN line has totally different bags from the regular RMs, I would be ok with this. But gosh, this is kind of like shooting your own foot while trying to gain more brand recognition.

Also I don't like the fact that she used the name Minkette for the HSN line. Sigh RM fans = Minkettes and now this cheaper "knock off" line is also known as Minkette? Insulting really.

Wow, I think this new line is going to devaluate the regular line . I don't want my bags assoiciated this this new line they just look very cheap, not RM al all !

What if the Celebs think the same thing we do?[/QUOTE]

Even though most of their bags are probably "gifted" to them, I wonder what they think of this, too!

Perhaps I am naive, but couldn't this move potentially draw in new customers for Rebecca's premiere line? A lot of people have never heard of her. I realize people (including myself) like to have bags that aren't seen on every third arm around town, but from Rebecca's perspective, don't you think one of her goals is to create more customers? This could be the way to open the door to some of those people. If someone buys the $200 RM through HSN and likes it, if they have the funds, this may open the door for them to go searching for more RM information, and they may buy from the more expensive line. On the other hand, if someone does not have the funds for a premiere line RM bag, they won't buy one and they wouldn't have bought one to begin with, so Rebecca isn't out any customers there, and she may have picked up a few customers for a lower end line. Does this make sense, I don't always think I explain things well. Either way, this creates more exposure for Rebecca's premiere line. I'm only one person, but the fact that Gryson, Botkier and others have done lines for Target has NOT turned me away from their premiere lines. Frankly, I can't stand synthetic fabrics used in bags, so while I might admire the design of a Botkier for Target bag, I wouldn't buy it anyway - I'd still be at the department store or boutique looking for a leather bag from their premiere line.

What if the Celebs think the same thing we do?

Even though most of their bags are probably "gifted" to them, I wonder what they think of this, too![/QUOTE]

My humble opinion is, celebs know their outfits are being analyzed and copied every day...sometimes with clothing or bags from Kmart or Walmart or other discount places. The mags show "Here is what XX is wearing, here is how you can have the same 'look'" and the "look" is comprised of articles of clothing that look close to the designer's. At least in this case, the girls wearing that "look" are carrying the same brand, and made of leather too, instead of PVC. I personally don't think the celebs really care about this type of thing, but maybe I'm wrong. After all, celebs are still people like you and I, so maybe some of them DO care, and some are like me and do not.

I see girls carrying fake Chanels and Coach and would MUCH rather see someone carrying a Minkette than a PVC copy of a RM premiere line bag. At least then the money is going to the designer and not someone just ripping off the design someone else already toiled to create, you know?

Okay, so I'm not gonna add to the market devaluation analysis...just from looking at the bags themselves...I think the black "enchantment" bag is pretty decent. Other than the devote and the Nikki, I haven't been too enthusiastic about stud placement and I like how it's done on this bag. Obviously, the hsn bags are not intended to be in the same league as the main line RMs. The bag's large sections and strap are constructed of leather, and the measurements provided indicate a decent-sized bag. Overall, not bad

Hey ladies, I wanted to come in and comment here bc I see that so many of you are frustrated. First of all, no harm if the bags don't meet your tastes, to each his own. Lucky Magazine came to me months ago with this very special opportunity to partner with HSN for LUCKY MAG. It was a great idea as each year for the Lucky Shops Event, they always partner with a sponsor (in previous years it was Bluefly) and with the team up, they come up with a plan to celebrate and get known the new partnership. This was a request coming from a very established magazine who has supported me since my inception. Why not get to be one of a few designers and capture over 90 million, yes 90 million potential new Minkettes? I realize this line might not be for you or for your friends. But it might hit with some of the loyal HSN "HSNettes" who love everything this network has to offer. I would never put out any bags that are the same value for a lower price. We worked hard to differentiate in materials and also leather so that there is a difference between my mainline and Minkette. I am sure you can see this comparison between Marc Jacobs and MBMJ. You can see it in his store where he sells his stuff for $5 and $10 for a wallet or a pair of rubber boots or a tote. He knocked himself off too which is much smarter than some other person knocking them off. In the far future for Rm there are plans to have a diffusion line. This was a test to see how that market responds and how this pricepoint might open up a new customer, who maybe cant buy $500 bags. If it works then we will be happy that a whole new demographic got to be part of the fun and magic you all have found in my brand! I hope this makes sense and takes some questions out of this!

Rebecca thank you for addressing! I was hoping you'd catch this thread.

I think the main concerns are not a cheaper line, but that the cheaper line imitates the bags in your full line, ie the roadie, elisha, and love letter clutch. It makes one wonder, why spend $575 on a roadie when you can get the same design (despite different material) for $300, ya know?

I think the 2nd biggest concern is the fact this line was called "minkette"... like many said, we've used that term to describe ourselves as loyal fans of the premier brand so we didn't want to be insulted with the cheaper line being named this as well :smile: