Travel RIMOWA, Anyone?

I’ve been looking at the rimowa carry ons but the measurements exceed some airlines’ requirements. Any issues with the carry ons flying domestic on United, Hawaiian or southwest?

Southwest rarely. They allow people to check bags for free and most customers are very infrequent fliers so they have no problems giving up their bags at the check in counter. So there is almost always room on board and this keeps the agents all laid back. United tends to be more business travelers who do not want to part with their belongings. If you end up in boarding group 5 you might as well kiss your bag goodbye. And different cities with UA are much more strict about carryon size. SFO and DEN are notoriously bad. The rest of UA hubs and downline locations are more laid back. But not like SWA and I don’t know about Hawaiian.

ETA and I am assuming you are just asking about a carryon that is maybe 2 inches bigger than required. If you tell me how much bigger or post the measurements I’ll let you know if you’re really pushing it.

Last edited:
Southwest rarely. They allow people to check bags for free and most customers are very infrequent fliers so they have no problems giving up their bags at the check in counter. So there is almost always room on board and this keeps the agents all laid back. United tends to be more business travelers who do not want to part with their belongings. If you end up in boarding group 5 you might as well kiss your bag goodbye. And different cities with UA are much more strict about carryon size. SFO and DEN are notoriously bad. The rest of UA hubs and downline locations are more laid back. But not like SWA and I don’t know about Hawaiian.

ETA and I am assuming you are just asking about a carryon that is maybe 2 inches bigger than required. If you tell me how much bigger or post the measurements I’ll let you know if you’re really pushing it.
Thank you so much for your reply!! I was browsing the classic cabin carry ons and they’re almost 2 inches wider. I’ll just keep looking for something smaller to stay on the safe side.

There are two sizes of cabin Rimowa. I travel with a Rimowa topas carry on (not the plus but the original carry on size) and its fine, fits in the sizer for AA. Only time I have to check is regional CRJ (not E175) or if sometimes if I'm standby and board right at door closing. Not sure about United or Southwest.

Reactions: m_ichele
I would only purchase the carryon Rimowas.
I have been mightily disappointed with the two Rimowa Limbos that we have purchased. Costing 1,000 USD a piece, we have yet to make a multi-stop trip without one or the other being severely damaged. On our trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, the clasp was snapped and a hole punched in the polycarbonate shell. Rimowa will not fix or replace, as they explained their warranty "only covered defects." Well, I am assuming something this expensive went through some sort of quality control so that there are no initial defects. However, the only way to keep your Rimowa bag intact seems to be to leave it in the closet. I have any number of inexpensive bags that have stood up far better than these two overpriced and overly delicate pieces. I will never buy RImowa again. This is for rich tourists who can afford the aluminum versions, which I imagine might stand up a bit better. We purchased the best polycarbonate model and have had nothing but trouble. I would advise--STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY!!!!

We bought these on the recommendations of friends, only to realize that they only used the carryons. They simply do not hold up to the wear and tear of normal travel. They puncture easily, the locks break easily, and your valuables are simply not secure.

I would only purchase the carryon Rimowas.
I have been mightily disappointed with the two Rimowa Limbos that we have purchased. Costing 1,000 USD a piece, we have yet to make a multi-stop trip without one or the other being severely damaged. On our trip from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok, the clasp was snapped and a hole punched in the polycarbonate shell. Rimowa will not fix or replace, as they explained their warranty "only covered defects." Well, I am assuming something this expensive went through some sort of quality control so that there are no initial defects. However, the only way to keep your Rimowa bag intact seems to be to leave it in the closet. I have any number of inexpensive bags that have stood up far better than these two overpriced and overly delicate pieces. I will never buy RImowa again. This is for rich tourists who can afford the aluminum versions, which I imagine might stand up a bit better. We purchased the best polycarbonate model and have had nothing but trouble. I would advise--STAY AWAY, FAR AWAY!!!!

We bought these on the recommendations of friends, only to realize that they only used the carryons. They simply do not hold up to the wear and tear of normal travel. They puncture easily, the locks break easily, and your valuables are simply not secure.

Thank you SO much for your feedback. I’ve always been curious about their polycarbonate since they are so much lighter than the aluminum version, but I hesitate because Rimowa is more known for their aluminum and not their polycarbonate products. Your review has confirmed my suspicion!

Is there a way to convert the site in to english? Trying to see if i can still have rimowa ordered before i fly out in 10 days?

Hi betty.lee - the special was for this past weekend as CrackBerryCream had mentioned. I went on the site this morning and it no longer had the buy 2 and get one 1/2 off. Here is the site that I ordered from: https://www.koffer-direkt.de

However, it looks like this site and others in Germany do occasionally provide a discount code that offers a % off. You just have to calculate for yourself whether it's cheaper with the shipping and customs charge vs. buying in the US. The special really made my discount worth the hassle.

There are a few sites that offer mail forwarding. I went with MyGermany (http://www.mygermany.com/) but I can't vouch for them yet because I haven't received the luggages. It's very straightforward - you register with the site and in the case of MyGermany, pay 1-euro which you can do via Paypal. They give you a shipping address and then, you order and pay via Paypal but ship to this German address. One thing I noticed was that if you leave the billing address the same as shipping, it saves you a bunch in shipping (free vs. 100-euros). Strange system glitch on their end.

Thanks! I think I am giving up on getting one before my flight next week... but will get one in jan, 2020 when I return. Question though, is it best to buy from Rimowa manhattan for service and warranty or koffer in germany is just as good with warranty? I am in Oregon, what if the suitcase needs repairs? Also, sierra.com has some rimowa 20% off but majority has the Etags… Can I just put zeroes on the Etag to avoid being locked out or would you not recommend buying any of the ones with Etags? thanks guys and happy holidays!!!

Reactions: GlitterEyebags
Thanks! I think I am giving up on getting one before my flight next week... but will get one in jan, 2020 when I return. Question though, is it best to buy from Rimowa manhattan for service and warranty or koffer in germany is just as good with warranty? I am in Oregon, what if the suitcase needs repairs? Also, sierra.com has some rimowa 20% off but majority has the Etags… Can I just put zeroes on the Etag to avoid being locked out or would you not recommend buying any of the ones with Etags? thanks guys and happy holidays!!!

Hi,

I have no experience with Rimowa Service/TOC after the LVMH takeover. Might be the same, might be totally different.

Back then you brought your defective Rimowa to ANY point of sale/service center and got squared away - especially if it was the simple stuff: broken rollers, broken handle ... It wouldn't matter where it was bought - and mostly you weren't even charged. Back then, Rimowa also shipped parts upon calling/e-mailing them free of charge.

I'm really not up to date on US prices, but shipping a suitcase, even when empty, from Germany to the US isn't cheap. Not sure the if there will be any real benefit to it. A simple postal package large enough to fit the suitcase but weighing below 5kg will cost 37,- Euro (41,- USD) If it's more than 5kg but below 10kg it will run 54,- Euro (60,- USD) Above 10kg but below 20kg 76,- Euro (84,- USD) (And these are regular postal packages (comparable to your flat rate/first class mail stuff) So, trackable but not fast/ no extra services. If you want fast, cost will exceed 100,- Euro easily.

Do not get one with eTag. eTag is dead & begging for trouble. Potential savings not worth the trouble. Rimowa did away with it mid 2018. (Except you never want to use it as checked luggage on a flight, then you could "get away with it".)

Some airports still won't check them.

Here's some additional information from back when it was a "hot topic" among frequent travelers.

-> https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safet...egrated-lithium-batteries-and-electronics.pdf

-> http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files/doc_news/Travel-wisely-with-smart-bags.pdf

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest buying from a local dealer. If you absolutely want/must purchase from a German website as there are really substantial savings to be had, feel free to DM me, I'll gladly give you my address for delivery and I will forward at actual cost (with receipt & tracking) without handling up-charge i.e. ...

Kind regards,
Oliver

omgosh thanks for the offer that is really sweet Of you - I would have jumped on this right away but LVMH seems to have put their feet down by 2020 as the German sites Im eyeing suddenly lost their inventory ? But I would like to do a little more research .
Thanks again and happy new year !!!
Hi,

I have no experience with Rimowa Service/TOC after the LVMH takeover. Might be the same, might be totally different.

Back then you brought your defective Rimowa to ANY point of sale/service center and got squared away - especially if it was the simple stuff: broken rollers, broken handle ... It wouldn't matter where it was bought - and mostly you weren't even charged. Back then, Rimowa also shipped parts upon calling/e-mailing them free of charge.

I'm really not up to date on US prices, but shipping a suitcase, even when empty, from Germany to the US isn't cheap. Not sure the if there will be any real benefit to it. A simple postal package large enough to fit the suitcase but weighing below 5kg will cost 37,- Euro (41,- USD) If it's more than 5kg but below 10kg it will run 54,- Euro (60,- USD) Above 10kg but below 20kg 76,- Euro (84,- USD) (And these are regular postal packages (comparable to your flat rate/first class mail stuff) So, trackable but not fast/ no extra services. If you want fast, cost will exceed 100,- Euro easily.

Do not get one with eTag. eTag is dead & begging for trouble. Potential savings not worth the trouble. Rimowa did away with it mid 2018. (Except you never want to use it as checked luggage on a flight, then you could "get away with it".)

Some airports still won't check them.

Here's some additional information from back when it was a "hot topic" among frequent travelers.

-> https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safet...egrated-lithium-batteries-and-electronics.pdf

-> http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files/doc_news/Travel-wisely-with-smart-bags.pdf

Hope this helps.

I'd suggest buying from a local dealer. If you absolutely want/must purchase from a German website as there are really substantial savings to be had, feel free to DM me, I'll gladly give you my address for delivery and I will forward at actual cost (with receipt & tracking) without handling up-charge i.e. ...

Kind regards,
Oliver