Retourne vs. Sellier Kellys

arabesques said:
Another note regarding box—my bag is from 1995, and it looks spectacular. "Patina"—which is created out of the scuffs/scratched of a loved (not abused) bag—is extraordinary in box. There's no need to be afraid of box.

Aahhhhh you made me more dilemma :biggrin: Kelly 35 black box indeed such a beautiful bag. How often do you use your black box? Is it difficult to get things in and out? Thank you for your sharing arabesques :flowers:

Oh and one more questions, is it so difficult to get the black box or black Togo?

Aahhhhh you made me more dilemma :biggrin: Kelly 35 black box indeed such a beautiful bag. How often do you use your black box? Is it difficult to get things in and out? Thank you for your sharing arabesques :flowers:

Oh and one more questions, is it so difficult to get the black box or black Togo?

I tend to think of black bags as for cooler temps, so it gets used rarely in summer, but it was my main bag last winter (my first year with it). I even traveled to Paris with it (for six weeks), so I know it withstands the wear of close quarters in the city. I also fearlessly carry it in the rain. With help from Docride (in the vintage bag care thread), box (and many other classic leathers) can be worn in rain without worry.

That said, I'm a decided lover of classic H leathers. Most of mine are box, chamonix (a matte sort of box), vache naturelle, barenia, and toile. I love patina! Plus, I find Clemence or Togo to be heavy. My one Clemence bag (a Marwari GM) is a beat to carry for very long. The 35cm Kelly is a big, heavy bag. Box keeps it lighter than it would be in Clemence or Togo.

Ease of use for a Kelly is ... to individual taste. I do find the Kelly fussy in general, but the retourne style is MUCH easier to work with. If fastened like described before, I can flip open the top flap and slip my hand to grab phone, keys (attention!!), wallet, etc. I don't have a sellier Kelly, but my Dalvy (see avatar) is close in design, and that is far less easy to get in and out of.

For ease of use, I can't praise the Bolide style enough.

arabesques said:
I tend to think of black bags as for cooler temps, so it gets used rarely in summer, but it was my main bag last winter (my first year with it). I even traveled to Paris with it (for six weeks), so I know it withstands the wear of close quarters in the city. I also fearlessly carry it in the rain. With help from Docride (in the vintage bag care thread), box (and many other classic leathers) can be worn in rain without worry.

That said, I'm a decided lover of classic H leathers. Most of mine are box, chamonix (a matte sort of box), vache naturelle, barenia, and toile. I love patina! Plus, I find Clemence or Togo to be heavy. My one Clemence bag (a Marwari GM) is a beat to carry for very long. The 35cm Kelly is a big, heavy bag. Box keeps it lighter than it would be in Clemence or Togo.

Ease of use for a Kelly is ... to individual taste. I do find the Kelly fussy in general, but the retourne style is MUCH easier to work with. If fastened like described before, I can flip open the top flap and slip my hand to grab phone, keys (attention!!), wallet, etc. I don't have a sellier Kelly, but my Dalvy (see avatar) is close in design, and that is far less easy to get in and out of.

For ease of use, I can't praise the Bolide style enough.

:ty: :ty: arabesques you ease my mind now :smile:

Why black? In black it is stern looking. Have you considered UV or the new dark blue? ;) beautiful colours.

Why 35? It is rather large for an everyday bag and gets heavy if it is Togo.

My vote goes to retourne PHW. I have a 32 etain epsom sellier and I'm wanting a retourne as a daily bag now. Sellier is difficult to pose as a casual bag. It is a "I'm serious" bag. I'm 5"3 and I find 32 sellier bulky.

Vinia said:
Why black? In black it is stern looking. Have you considered UV or the new dark blue? ;) beautiful colours.

Why 35? It is rather large for an everyday bag and gets heavy if it is Togo.

My vote goes to retourne PHW. I have a 32 etain epsom sellier and I'm wanting a retourne as a daily bag now. Sellier is difficult to pose as a casual bag. It is a "I'm serious" bag. I'm 5"3 and I find 32 sellier bulky.

Hi Vinia. Because I think it's easy to use black color for everyday use. My SA was offering me UV and Capucine but my main choice is black and after that is red, so I rejected the offer. And why 35? I have 32 gold togo ghw retourne and now I think it's not big enough for me since I have a 4yo daughter, sometimes I need to carry her sweater and mine, that's why I am thinking I should get Kelly 35. Thank you dear, I think now I tend to choose retourne, as like you said sellier portrait more of a 'serious' bag :smile:

A lot of these answers are age-related. At different ages, different bags/size/leather/color of hardware are preferred.

I have now shrunk to about 5'4" and a 32 is plenty big on me - a 35 would look awkward. I'm not a fan of 35 Kelly anyway as it can easily end up with a briefcase-like look. If one carries everything but the kitchen sink, then a Kelly is most likely not the best bag for that person - perhaps a Birkin or other tote-style bag.

I'm not someone who particularly wants to attract attention to myself, so a bright colored luxury handbag is just not for me. But many of the young love this look.

One can NEVER go wrong with a black box Kelly bag!! It's an ionic, classic bag. I prefer it in Retourne as in Sellier it can be somewhat stiff and formal. I also prefer GHW - that's the classic look.

However, a BBK would NOT be my choice as a work-horse bag. Yes, one can apply things to protect it from rain, but it will scratch if banged around while shopping - it's surprising how much one bumps into things and don't even realize it.

For everyday, I adore my Chevre de Coromandel bag. It has taken 5 years of daily wear and looks like new. I have had it to the spa once to touch up corners - may take it next spring again. I chose a dark brown - Cocoan - as it goes with my neutral wardrobe of black/grey/brown/taupe/beige.

These are HEAVY handbags, regardless of leather!!! I carry a minimum in my bags and they're still heavy, and I regularly lift 8 pound weights. If I lived in a city where I did most of my errands walking, it would not work for me. It's fine where I drive everywhere, but when I take it to NYC, I always also have a canvas trolley with me and put my handbag in it.

But I will be 69 on Sun so this probably has a LOT to do with this!!!

A lot of these answers are age-related. At different ages, different bags/size/leather/color of hardware are preferred.

I have now shrunk to about 5'4" and a 32 is plenty big on me - a 35 would look awkward. I'm not a fan of 35 Kelly anyway as it can easily end up with a briefcase-like look. If one carries everything but the kitchen sink, then a Kelly is most likely not the best bag for that person - perhaps a Birkin or other tote-style bag.

I'm not someone who particularly wants to attract attention to myself, so a bright colored luxury handbag is just not for me. But many of the young love this look.

One can NEVER go wrong with a black box Kelly bag!! It's an ionic, classic bag. I prefer it in Retourne as in Sellier it can be somewhat stiff and formal. I also prefer GHW - that's the classic look.

However, a BBK would NOT be my choice as a work-horse bag. Yes, one can apply things to protect it from rain, but it will scratch if banged around while shopping - it's surprising how much one bumps into things and don't even realize it.

For everyday, I adore my Chevre de Coromandel bag. It has taken 5 years of daily wear and looks like new. I have had it to the spa once to touch up corners - may take it next spring again. I chose a dark brown - Cocoan - as it goes with my neutral wardrobe of black/grey/brown/taupe/beige.

These are HEAVY handbags, regardless of leather!!! I carry a minimum in my bags and they're still heavy, and I regularly lift 8 pound weights. If I lived in a city where I did most of my errands walking, it would not work for me. It's fine where I drive everywhere, but when I take it to NYC, I always also have a canvas trolley with me and put my handbag in it.

Happy birthday, India! I am in my mid-40s, and agree with a lot of what you said, so maybe it's not all age-related? :smile:

I don't own a Kelly yet -- still waiting on "my" gold 32 retourne -- but I did turn down a black 35 Togo several months ago because it looked too briefcase-y on me. It was a retourne and I'm 5'6, so I think a lot of it had to do with the color. I think box in a 32 would have looked entirely different. If it has to be a 35, how about etain as a neutral? Or ebene? Still neutral, but without the harsh quality black can sometimes have.

India said:

Yes the more I look at the Kelly 35 black the more it's look like a briefcase and heavy :shrug: i want kelly in chevre de coromandel but it's very difficult to get this in my local store :sad: even kelly swift also difficult. Indonesian favorite are either togo or clemence, so my local store buy those two type of leathers more than other leathers. thank you India for sharing and happy birthday to you :flowers: I do hope when I am 69 I will be as chic as you are :smile:

I think Ebene is a fabulous color - would have bought that in a heartbeat - VERY versatile. Your gold 32 retourne will be a fabulous bag. I would have considered it as well. It's a great color and utterly timeless.

I guess so much of this really has to do with discretionary income. If one has TONS of it, then all the "hot" colors will go home with them. For those of us who must limit luxury purchases, the color simply must be timeless. When I first joined this list 5 years ago, EVERYONE wanted a Bluejean Birkin. Haven't seen anyone carrying one in ages. It was the "color du jour". Then there was Raisin. I could go on and on.... I think fashion colors are just fine on an inexpensive handbag (under $1000), but not on Hermes. That is unless one has unlimited funds....

Mrs. Rance,

I think black is a great color for everyday use especially during fall & winter. I understand your need for a bigger bag, I have a 32 and while I love the look of the smaller size sometimes it's just not big enough. I don't really notice that much of a weight difference between the two (the are both Togo).

As for leather choices, box is beautiful. I have 28 in black box sellier and while I love it I find it is hard to get in and out of it. I know this would be easier in a 35, but it would still be much harder to open and close than togo. If it rains or even if you spill something on it the leather is not as forgiving as Togo either.

I would go for retourne in a 35. I think sellier just looks better in a smaller bag, and those corners on such a large bag can be a problem.

I think a canvas strap is a good idea for a 35 also. I've special ordered one and can't wait to get it.

Good luck with you're decision!

Hope you have a great Birthday on Sunday India!

catsinthebag said:
Happy birthday, India! I am in my mid-40s, and agree with a lot of what you said, so maybe it's not all age-related? :smile:

I don't own a Kelly yet -- still waiting on "my" gold 32 retourne -- but I did turn down a black 35 Togo several months ago because it looked too briefcase-y on me. It was a retourne and I'm 5'6, so I think a lot of it had to do with the color. I think box in a 32 would have looked entirely different. If it has to be a 35, how about etain as a neutral? Or ebene? Still neutral, but without the harsh quality black can sometimes have.

Hopefully you will get the gold 32 retourne asap :smile: I have one and I loveeee it, now she's in spa and I miss her, will have to wait until march 2013 :shrug:
I don't know why but i am not attracted to grey or dark brown. I like parchemin though but I am afraid it will get dirty easier. Thank you catsinthebag :flowers:

India said:
I guess so much of this really has to do with discretionary income. If one has TONS of it, then all the "hot" colors will go home with them. For those of us who must limit luxury purchases, the color simply must be timeless. When I first joined this list 5 years ago, EVERYONE wanted a Bluejean Birkin. Haven't seen anyone carrying one in ages. It was the "color du jour". Then there was Raisin. I could go on and on.... I think fashion colors are just fine on an inexpensive handbag (under $1000), but not on Hermes. That is unless one has unlimited funds....
This is why I opt for black :smile:

BalLVLover said:
Mrs. Rance,

I think black is a great color for everyday use especially during fall & winter. I understand your need for a bigger bag, I have a 32 and while I love the look of the smaller size sometimes it's just not big enough. I don't really notice that much of a weight difference between the two (the are both Togo).

As for leather choices, box is beautiful. I have 28 in black box sellier and while I love it I find it is hard to get in and out of it. I know this would be easier in a 35, but it would still be much harder to open and close than togo. If it rains or even if you spill something on it the leather is not as forgiving as Togo either.

I would go for retourne in a 35. I think sellier just looks better in a smaller bag, and those corners on such a large bag can be a problem.

I think a canvas strap is a good idea for a 35 also. I've special ordered one and can't wait to get it.

Good luck with you're decision!

Thank you BalLVLover :flowers: yes that's a good idea canvas strap for 35, hopefully I can get Kelly amazone. here's in my local store don't accept canvas strap order anymore.

So for now I decided to choose retourne as I am such a reckless person and sellier will not suit for a reckless person like me :biggrin: as for color, I need to reconsider again.
Thank you all so much for your inputs, I really appreciate any informations that you all gave me
:ty: :ty:

I have Kelly 32 gold Togo retourne. Now I want Kelly 35 black for everyday use. Which one fit my needs, Kelly 35 black box sellier or Kelly 35 black swift/togo retourne? I need all of your advices. Thanks in advance :smile:

definitely not 35bbk sellier for every day bag. :smile: i have a 32bbk sellier which i loved and i use it for work mainly but it is not an everyday running around with errands bag..it looks very formal and classy and in a 35, you will bump into things with the sharp corners. and because the box leather is very stiff and rigid, opening and closing the bag takes time getting used to and you will be rather cautious initially trying to avoid scratches on the Kelly.

i will definitely get retourne in togo/swift, black is classic of course but i think you can rock uv or red for sure!! suits your fair complexion :smile: