Retailers eating costs of lost shipments - surprising!

Originally Posted by AEGIS
they're not eating the costs. ups is

Thats like saying that when you buy a house the seller is paying the brokers commission since you dont actually write a check to the broker, the seller does. And who writes the check to the seller?

UPS is in the business of making money and eventually it comes around full circle to the consumer.

(Like remember the Fuel Surcharge they imposed for shipments when the price of fuel went to 4+ dollars a gallon? I do. Do you remember how when fuel went back to 2+ dollars they repealed that surcharge? I dont...)

^lol at the repealing of fuel charge or lack of..

let's put it this way, the way corporations run is that if it's taking out of something it's going to be taken out of the bottom tier and maybe even customers before, if ever, the bigwings take a hit

but that's a given since they run the show

Thats like saying that when you buy a house the seller is paying the brokers commission since you dont actually write a check to the broker, the seller does. And who writes the check to the seller?

UPS is in the business of making money and eventually it comes around full circle to the consumer.

(Like remember the Fuel Surcharge they imposed for shipments when the price of fuel went to 4+ dollars a gallon? I do. Do you remember how when fuel went back to 2+ dollars they repealed that surcharge? I dont...)

^lol at the repealing of fuel charge or lack of..

let's put it this way, the way corporations run is that if it's taking out of something it's going to be taken out of the bottom tier and maybe even customers before, if ever, the bigwings take a hit

but that's a given since they run the show

lol all this finance talk is (sadly) WWAAAYYY over my head... but I think I get it. So, basically, I'm paying for shipping insurance, right? Sorta like with ebay?

basically all the rumors about handbags being like 5$ to make but is sold for 300$ is true. however at the end of the day the company does not take as much as you'd think home because of

leases
gas and water
employees
supplies
perks (like if they offer free shipping you bet your butt they work that into the overall cost of their products despite what they may have you believe)

insurance (for their goods, not talking about shipping insurance although they may get that as well)

and LP issues

and a bunch of other stuff that at the end of the day it's a few dollars of pure profit in their pocket once you factor out the costs..

I work in e-commerce. We ship stuff to customers. On occasion stuff gets lost. When it's obvious that the shipping company lost the package, we can file a claim. (This is when the tracking number dead ends, the package is never delivered.)

We can also request an investigation for a "lost" package when the order was "delivered" as in, dropped off on a porch and MIA. In rare instances, the package is found sitting at a neighbor's house or something. In most cases, we have to cover the cost for a replacement.

Yeah that reminds me of the huge ASOS US shipping fiasco ...i figure they must have refunded hundreds ..if not thousands of customers $$! There is no way ALL of the packages were lost

But like most said ...WE are paying for it some way or another :boxing:

This thread reminds me that I need to check up on the J.Crew coat that UPS lost 3 weeks ago. J.Crew hasn't credited my account yet because they claim that UPS hasn't finished their "investigation" yet.

3 weeks and counting, I'm out $200 on my J.Crew card, and they expect me to start paying on the balance.....