Repairing Your Mulberry

Hi fellow Mulberry lovers,

I would like to hear your advice or maybe experiences in dealing with split piping on your Mulberry bags. Is it worth fixing? Have you had any experiences as to how much it would cost to fix them and where, the quality afterwards, etc?

I have two Alexas, black and oak. The black one has completely split and the oak one is on its way. (Photos below)

What would you do if these were your bags? Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences/advice.

If you still enjoy your bags then I would have the repair made. The Alexas are fabulous bags so I don't think the money for repair would be wasted.

Hi everyone! Hope you are all very well.
I do hope this is okay for me to share -

I would like to share a mixed experience I have had with my Lily being repaired.

So, as some of you will know, I visited Shepton Mallet a few weeks ago and purchased an Oxblood bayswater, and I took my Oak Lily in for repair at the same time.

I did not have the best experience at Shepton at all, and it has really made me question whether I should return in the future; this is my closest Mulberry store - and still is a two hour drive from my home.

Anyway, as I presented my Lily to the SA, I was horrified as to what I was met with next. (Bearing in mind there was a queue waiting at the till to purchase items). The SA proceeded inform me, and others at the till that my Lily was fake, and there was multiple things that "told" her that. As you can imagine, at this point, I feel the eyes of the room on me, and quite literally wanted the ground to swallow me up. I had my blonde bayswater with me that day, and I could feel eyes drifting towards her too suspecting the same.

Feeling rather publicly embarrassed, I filled out the repairs form with a dreadful feeling hanging over me, and then I proceeded to purchase the Oxblood Bayswater. (Which by this time, I really felt like I shouldn't have due to the experience I had, but my heart ruled and I knew the bag had to come home with me. It was a sentimental purchase that I bought in memory of my grandmother who always loved my bags). I then drove two hours home feeling so deflated. :sad:

However, after being told that I would receive news on the bag within two days, two weeks had passed, and still, I had heard nothing. I then called the repairs team at The Rookery, who then informed me that my Lily IS GENUINE, and were most apologetic about the experience I had at Shepton.

So, just under five weeks from beginning to end, I finally have my Lily back. I must say the service from The Rookery was amazing, and Lily arrived safely home today like I've just bought her! This has made me feel a little better about the whole situation. However, I just don't know if or when I will return to Shepton.

It is amazing to me the SA did not recognize the fact the Lily is genuine. I do think her comments were inappropriate particularly considering there were others there waiting for service. That type of conversation, if it is necessary, should be private. So I do understand why you would be hesitant to return even though in reality it would probably be good to return. After all, you are the one with the genuine Mulberry. So happy you purchased the Bayswater as I know your Grandmother would be so happy for you!

Hi everyone! Hope you are all very well.
I do hope this is okay for me to share -

I would like to share a mixed experience I have had with my Lily being repaired.

So, as some of you will know, I visited Shepton Mallet a few weeks ago and purchased an Oxblood bayswater, and I took my Oak Lily in for repair at the same time.

I did not have the best experience at Shepton at all, and it has really made me question whether I should return in the future; this is my closest Mulberry store - and still is a two hour drive from my home.

Anyway, as I presented my Lily to the SA, I was horrified as to what I was met with next. (Bearing in mind there was a queue waiting at the till to purchase items). The SA proceeded inform me, and others at the till that my Lily was fake, and there was multiple things that "told" her that. As you can imagine, at this point, I feel the eyes of the room on me, and quite literally wanted the ground to swallow me up. I had my blonde bayswater with me that day, and I could feel eyes drifting towards her too suspecting the same.

Feeling rather publicly embarrassed, I filled out the repairs form with a dreadful feeling hanging over me, and then I proceeded to purchase the Oxblood Bayswater. (Which by this time, I really felt like I shouldn't have due to the experience I had, but my heart ruled and I knew the bag had to come home with me. It was a sentimental purchase that I bought in memory of my grandmother who always loved my bags). I then drove two hours home feeling so deflated. :sad:

However, after being told that I would receive news on the bag within two days, two weeks had passed, and still, I had heard nothing. I then called the repairs team at The Rookery, who then informed me that my Lily IS GENUINE, and were most apologetic about the experience I had at Shepton.

So, just under five weeks from beginning to end, I finally have my Lily back. I must say the service from The Rookery was amazing, and Lily arrived safely home today like I've just bought her! This has made me feel a little better about the whole situation. However, I just don't know if or when I will return to Shepton.
What a horrendous experience! I would have been totally dumbfounded :shocked: Though I think I would have HAD to ask the SA how long exactly had she been working for Mulberry to say that and make her point out the fake from a genuine Lily :amazed: (having owned a couple of vintage items as well, I know all too well that there are a zillion things people just don't know about Mulberry bags) I had a ridiculous repair experience (bag repaired wrong and some of the inking not redone) with my Lily but raised a bit of a ruckus about it and was reimbursed half of the cost - which was fair but would have gotten zilch without furious emails. Totally unacceptable behaviour to be claiming your bag to be fake as well as the lack of discretion about it :annoyed: SAs are there to do a job and for a brand like Mulberry, you'd think that they'd train their staff to do it well!​

It is amazing to me the SA did not recognize the fact the Lily is genuine. I do think her comments were inappropriate particularly considering there were others there waiting for service. That type of conversation, if it is necessary, should be private. So I do understand why you would be hesitant to return even though in reality it would probably be good to return. After all, you are the one with the genuine Mulberry. So happy you purchased the Bayswater as I know your Grandmother would be so happy for you!
Same here. I can't imagine how they wouldn't recognize a genuine Lily - new or old!

My thoughts exactly! I was told by the SA that they knew how to tell as they used to make them. This is what really started to ring my own alarm bells with regards to my own radar for sussing out a genuine bag.

I am so pleased I did purchase the Bayswater, as now every time I use her, I think about my grandmother and all of the wonderful memories that we shared, and ones that I will cherish forever. :hbeat:

I would like to return to Shepton in the future as you never know what is going to actually be there, I think that is part of the fun! Prior to this experience, I have always had lovely experiences there. :smile:

At least I have my lovely Lily back, and have a beautiful sentimental bayswater. :hbeat:

What a horrendous experience! I would have been totally dumbfounded :shocked: Though I think I would have HAD to ask the SA how long exactly had she been working for Mulberry to say that and make her point out the fake from a genuine Lily :amazed: (having owned a couple of vintage items as well, I know all too well that there are a zillion things people just don't know about Mulberry bags) I had a ridiculous repair experience (bag repaired wrong and some of the inking not redone) with my Lily but raised a bit of a ruckus about it and was reimbursed half of the cost - which was fair but would have gotten zilch without furious emails. Totally unacceptable behaviour to be claiming your bag to be fake as well as the lack of discretion about it :annoyed: SAs are there to do a job and for a brand like Mulberry, you'd think that they'd train their staff to do it well!​
Sadly, this experience has knocked my confidence in the brand, and I am disappointed that the SA, as an ambassador for Mulberry dealt with me in this way. My Lily is an older style with the charm (which was missing and was part of the repair), I had to explain it would have had a charm instead of a padlock, as the SA was totally unaware of this, and thought I had no clue. (I did proceed to politely say that Lily's previously had the horse-shoe charm on them). Then came the comment about having worked making them so they knew exactly what was right and what was wrong with the bag. I was told I could fill a repairs form out, and only then I would be told the fate of my Lily - which I did.

Two weeks later, having heard nothing, I decided to call Mulberry. They were totally shocked, (as I was!) and couldn't apologise enough - to which they said they were going to retrain some staff - so I'm not sure if I am the first to experience this lately?! Fingers crossed, no-one will have to go through this again!

I did pay the repair bill (£78) yesterday and received Lily beautifully packaged today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylor_elle
Sadly, this experience has knocked my confidence in the brand, and I am disappointed that the SA, as an ambassador for Mulberry dealt with me in this way. My Lily is an older style with the charm (which was missing and was part of the repair), I had to explain it would have had a charm instead of a padlock, as the SA was totally unaware of this, and thought I had no clue. (I did proceed to politely say that Lily's previously had the horse-shoe charm on them). Then came the comment about having worked making them so they knew exactly what was right and what was wrong with the bag. I was told I could fill a repairs form out, and only then I would be told the fate of my Lily - which I did.

Two weeks later, having heard nothing, I decided to call Mulberry. They were totally shocked, (as I was!) and couldn't apologise enough - to which they said they were going to retrain some staff - so I'm not sure if I am the first to experience this lately?! Fingers crossed, no-one will have to go through this again!

I did pay the repair bill (£78) yesterday and received Lily beautifully packaged today.
So unprofessional of the SA, I wonder if she was new and showing off :yucky: anyway don’t let one dodgy SA spoil it for you, or stop you going back to Shepton - it sounds like the staff there will have been spoken to, and you have proof that your judgement is rock solid!! :tup:

So unprofessional of the SA, I wonder if she was new and showing off :yucky: anyway don’t let one dodgy SA spoil it for you, or stop you going back to Shepton - it sounds like the staff there will have been spoken to, and you have proof that your judgement is rock solid!! :tup:

I completely agree, and I echo the sentiment that if a conversation regarding authenticity needed to be had, it should have been done in a discreet manner. To be honest, I have never seen the SA before, and thinking about it again, it could be the case that they are new. I am sure I will go back one day in the near future - perhaps I should wear my Lily? ;)

hi ladies, I’ve it a mulberry Bayswater in dark brown colour that id like to dye as its very old - the cost to dye it at handbagspa will cost a fortune - is it crazy to try and touch up colour myself ? I’ve heard a lot of people done that? My mulberry is glove leather Bayswater but just needs a touch up almost in certain places - is it a simple as polishing your shoes ? I’m scared to ruin it but don’t want to spend £300 on dying a bag either ! Any success stories ?

I'm not sure how it works with a Bayswater, but I had problems with naturally dyed boots where one boot was slightly darker than the other. Youtube has loads of good videos. This one might help:

I posted about repairing my Bays but accidentally put it in the wrong thread

Original query here: “The piping on my 8ish year old oak Bays has split at the front near the bottom corner, there’s a split about 3/4 inch long, the white piping is just exposed (not hanging out) and if I pull the split bits together it fits back neatly IYSWIM. I’m thinking of just gluing it then buffing collonil & colour over the mend, but can't think how to hold the two sides together while the glue sets. Does anyone have any better ideas?”

I’ve since repaired this on my own, using advice from a professional leather repairer.

First I glued the two edges of the tear as close together as possible using a flexible superglue (this is important, the leather needs to have some give)

Then I filled the gap in with thick leather filler, using a cotton bud, doing several thin coats and leaving hours between for drying time.

Then I sanded down the rough edges (this made me incredibly nervous), trimmed any loose “hairs” around the tear and applied another coat of filler which was smoothed down with a flat piece of metal.

After this was dried I coloured the leather filler using leather scratch repair pens, mixing two browns to get the desired colour and applying with a small make up brush to mottle and blend the edges. This took a few attempts as the colour looked lighter when wet than it did when dry.

I’ve since taken her out with no issues, part of me was expecting it to tear open again with use but it’s been fine.

The repair isn’t invisible like it would be if a professional had done it, but you’d have to look very closely to notice IYSWIM.

Total cost was £13 - £9 for leather pens & £4 for filler.

Reactions: BagLady1983
I posted about repairing my Bays but accidentally put it in the wrong thread

Original query here: “The piping on my 8ish year old oak Bays has split at the front near the bottom corner, there’s a split about 3/4 inch long, the white piping is just exposed (not hanging out) and if I pull the split bits together it fits back neatly IYSWIM. I’m thinking of just gluing it then buffing collonil & colour over the mend, but can't think how to hold the two sides together while the glue sets. Does anyone have any better ideas?”

I’ve since repaired this on my own, using advice from a professional leather repairer.

First I glued the two edges of the tear as close together as possible using a flexible superglue (this is important, the leather needs to have some give)

Then I filled the gap in with thick leather filler, using a cotton bud, doing several thin coats and leaving hours between for drying time.

Then I sanded down the rough edges (this made me incredibly nervous), trimmed any loose “hairs” around the tear and applied another coat of filler which was smoothed down with a flat piece of metal.

After this was dried I coloured the leather filler using leather scratch repair pens, mixing two browns to get the desired colour and applying with a small make up brush to mottle and blend the edges. This took a few attempts as the colour looked lighter when wet than it did when dry.

I’ve since taken her out with no issues, part of me was expecting it to tear open again with use but it’s been fine.

The repair isn’t invisible like it would be if a professional had done it, but you’d have to look very closely to notice IYSWIM.

Total cost was £13 - £9 for leather pens & £4 for filler.
Could you post a pic for us to see? Sounds great!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with having the colour changed on their Mulberry?

I’ve had my Oak NVT Bayswater for nine years and I’ve been toying with the idea of having her dyed oxblood to get a bit more use of her but I’m a bit concerned because of the age of the bag and the couple of issues she’s developed over the years.

There’s a large water mark across the bottom (it happened after I had her for six months :sad:) and the handles have darkened and are sometimes a bit sticky.

If anyone can share their experience that would be amazing!:heart:

Attachments

• 0E4F1B3C-D7F0-4A56-912C-352EC46578E6.jpeg
    0E4F1B3C-D7F0-4A56-912C-352EC46578E6.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 48
  • C252BFBB-EA25-40AA-88CB-21B97D2D5B10.jpeg
    C252BFBB-EA25-40AA-88CB-21B97D2D5B10.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 68183D36-F317-413C-B655-B1C9791BC85F.jpeg
    68183D36-F317-413C-B655-B1C9791BC85F.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 46
  • E1C7A285-9A48-4D6D-AB82-82928935C2C6.jpeg