recondition and refurbish

i let my mom know :flowers:

actually my mom only wears hermès because she thinks it is the cheapast bag you can buy her reasoning is : if i buy a 200$ bag i have to replace it every year with hermès i buy one bag and can be burried with it" so the above bags are her only bags AT ALL (only one vintage clutch extra)and her kelly is around 30 years old and thanks to good care of hermès looks spanking new

BUT my mom is eyeing a trim so that will be my b-pressie for her and bag number four (don´t tell her though )

lilach said:

actually my mom only wears hermès because she thinks it is the cheapast bag you can buy her reasoning is : if i buy a 200$ bag i have to replace it every year with hermès i buy one bag and can be burried with it" so the above bags are her only bags AT ALL (only one vintage clutch extra)and her kelly is around 30 years old and thanks to good care of hermès looks spanking new

BUT my mom is eyeing a trim so that will be my b-pressie for her and bag number four (don´t tell her though )

i love your mom for valuing hermes. love her! couldn't agree with her philosophy more. and a 30 year old kelly :drinkup:
and i was also struck by her choice of their new little picotin, that's very cool.

lilach said:
her kelly is box her birkin togo and her picotin clemence or gulliver(not sure of that picoton leather though ask her tomorrow)

and her birkin well there is literally no original part left :lol: through the years they had to change and replace every little thing (the hardware the handles the top flap the front flaps the piping the bottom the bottom feet the stitching only the front back and side panels are the old ones and have been deepcleaned )
I love this! :girlsigh:
I love your mom ideas and this exactly why I adore Hermes. I love the idea of getting old with my bags:heart:

lilach said:

OOh! I love the Trim. Drooled over two 35cm - one in gold and one the BJ Clemence the other day.

Does anyone have any idea how much it cost to change the handle of a kelly bag ? I just bought one vintage kelly in white on ebay, and it looks like the handle neede to be changed, can they change the hardware (the plates on the strap ?) Here are the pics from the seller...

^ The handle is the most expensive thing to replace on a Kelly, I was told my my SA (because it is the longest thing to produce on the whole bag - and the most difficult). Also, Hermes can replace the hardware, or recondition it so it looks better, but they will not change it...ie: they won't change gold h/w to palladium.

LoveThatThing said:
Does anyone have any idea how much it cost to change the handle of a kelly bag ? I just bought one vintage kelly in white on ebay, and it looks like the handle neede to be changed, can they change the hardware (the plates on the strap ?) Here are the pics from the seller...

crazy love it with that twilly wrapped around the handle though, omgd :nuts: :nuts: :love: :love: :love:

Thanks for the input ! I'll bring it in to see how much they would charge for the parts and the handle, and if it's too much then maybe I'll just use a twilly like the seller did to its handle, it looks quite neat with a twilly,too ;)

Ohh, I saw that poor rouge h kelly, too.. Looks like She'll need a lot work ! :sweatdrop:

lilach said:
she alsways says "they are just getting older so pamper them from time to time and they´ll last a lifetime they are like good women and noone should dump a beauty just because she has some wrinkles ....get her botox and replacement hips :lol:

:roflmfao: love it!

I just got a pre-owned Kelly. 32cm tan with gold hardware. I have to take it to KOP for spa treatment. The bag is in good condition, but I don't want to take pics until it comes back. I just has some wear on the bottom corners.

Lilach, your mum reminds me of my mum! In a less consumerist past, we didn't have to have anything and everything and, in particular, something that had been created with good workmanship was to be valued and, where necessary repaired. This is a philosophy I am trying to inculcate in my own children because their generation, in particular, is really obsessed with latest, newest, trendiest as a measure of one's own worth. I'm impressed with your mum (especially her theory that, ultimately, a Hermes bag isn't expensive!)

Dressage Queen, that ebay vintage Kelly looks as though it's lived in my hands for a few months. I wish it were cheaper; Hello2703 is right, it's a crazy price....