Books & Music Recommended Summer/Beach Reading

How sad is my life that I've read every book on your list? All I do is read. LOL.

My list is:

1. The Girls by Lori Lansen: One of the best books I've read in a while. My coworker borrowed it and devoured it in a weekend.

2. The Bachelorette Party-Karen Macullah Lutz: Silly chick-lit but it had me laughing a ton.

3. Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank by Ceila Rivenbank. Hysterical essays.

4. The Sex Lives of Cannibals- J. Maarten Troost. Screamingly funny. My bf made me go in the other room when I was reading it because I laughed so much.

5. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. A YA book, but a solid read. Just finished it earlier this weekend.

6.The Secret History of the Pink Carnation-Laura Willig. Chick lit, historical romance and humor. Great beach read!

7. The Dogs of Babel- Carolyn Pakhurst. One of my favorite books ever. A must of any dog lover.

8. The Thirteenth Tale-Diane Sitterfield. Creepy and an attention keeper.

9. An Embarrassment of Mangoes; A Caribbean Interlude- Ann Vanderhoof. A couple sets sail for a year in the Caribbean & this is their account of that year. Perfect for the beach.

10. Sorcery & Ceclia- Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stevermer. For when there are no more Harry Potter books to read after #7. Reminds me of a cross between Harry Potter & Pride & Prejudice.

This probably isn't your standard summer/beach reading but the book Guests of the Sheik:An Ethnography of an Iraqi Village by Elizabeth Warnock Fernea is a great book. It is basically her diary from when she went to Iraq in the 1950's with her husband who was doing some sort of anthropological work. It is a wonderful book--she talks about moving to a small village where she does not speak Arabic and how she integrates into society there and becomes close friends with many of the women. It is really more of a novel than anything else and it was so good I read it in one sitting.

In my opinion, nothing says "summer" than reading Edith Wharton's Summer.

How sad is my life that I've read every book on your list? All I do is read. LOL.

it's not sad at all - I LOVE to read! I always have a book with me, and sometimes I have 2 or 3 going at once!!! I think reading is the greatest (second to handbags that is!!!:yes:

My list is:

1. The Girls by Lori Lansen: One of the best books I've read in a while. My coworker borrowed it and devoured it in a weekend........
7. The Dogs of Babel- Carolyn Pakhurst. One of my favorite books ever. A must of any dog lover.

I read both of those - I luved THE GIRLS. At times I forgot I was reading a novel, it seemed like it could have been a true story!!

Have you read Carolyn Parkhurst's second book - LOST AND FOUND?? If you like the Amazing Race, you would love this book. It's about a group of people on a reality show that is a Scavenger Hunt around the world. It was a fast read and a lot of fun!

:shame::shame::lol:Umm I am going to Barnes and Noble at midnight to attend the party where you get to get your pictures taken with Harry Potter glasses and they give you this pure sugar version of a Frappachino that is called Potter Potion , and no I bring no childern with me , I happen to look about 15 when I pull my hair back so I jsut act like I am 15 so no one will know am 25

thanks for the list I am going to check some of these books out :yes:

Here's my list I ordered from Amazon.

Bright Lights ,Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
Bitter is the New Black also by Jen Lancaster
3 by Emily Giffin
Something Borrowed
Something Blue
Baby Proof
and I can't wait for Ann Rule's new one
Too Late To Say Goodbye

I love the Dan Brown books of course, but these days Ive been reading some sad and unnecessarily depressing books.. I just finished The Lovely Bones and now im reading The Bone Keeper's Daughter...

So depressing, but I cant put them down..

:shame::shame::lol:Umm I am going to Barnes and Noble at midnight to attend the party where you get to get your pictures taken with Harry Potter glasses and they give you this pure sugar version of a Frappachino that is called Potter Potion , and no I bring no childern with me , I happen to look about 15 when I pull my hair back so I jsut act like I am 15 so no one will know am 25

thanks for the list I am going to check some of these books out :yes:

^LOL:roflmfao:! The party and "Potter Potion" sound great!!!

Oooh, I just started Annie Lamott's "Plan B" and it is hilarious as hell... it's just a series of short, funny, pick-me-up little vignettes, mostly from her personal life. definitely a must-try!

.. I just finished The Lovely Bones and now im reading The Bone Keeper's Daughter.....

I read LOVELY BONES when it first came out. Luved it. I just finished reading BONE KEEPER'S DAUGHTER not too long ago. How far into it are you? Overall I liked it, but was towards the end, got a little disappointed.

I forgot to mention - I can't wait for a new book coming out next week. It's called SHOE ADDICTS ANONYMOUS, and it's about a girl who loses her job and can no longer afford her passion - shoes. So she starts this club where they get together & trade shoes & stories of their lives. It sounds pretty good (maybe we should do that w/our bags!)

it's not sad at all - I LOVE to read! I always have a book with me, and sometimes I have 2 or 3 going at once!!! I think reading is the greatest (second to handbags that is!!!:yes:

LOL, I usually pick handbags by whether I can fit a book in it, that's how bad my book addiction is!

I read both of those - I luved THE GIRLS. At times I forgot I was reading a novel, it seemed like it could have been a true story!!

Have you read Carolyn Parkhurst's second book - LOST AND FOUND?? If you like the Amazing Race, you would love this book. It's about a group of people on a reality show that is a Scavenger Hunt around the world. It was a fast read and a lot of fun!

I have Lost & Found on my wishlist! I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback before I buy it (Should be next month or so).

The Girls really is one of the best books I've read in a while. I was hesitant at first because of the subject matter & pseudo-autobiography, but I got lost in it. So excellent.

Have you read THE BOOK THIEF? I just suggested it to a coworker for her daughter's summer reading. I read it last year and it was my favorite book of last year, and one of my top 10 favorite books ever. I sobbed uncontrollably for the last 60 pages.

Oohh, I thought of another one. Confessions of a Mad Bride To Be. There is also a sequel called Confessions of a Mad Mom To Be, but I haven't read that one yet. The first one was hilarious!

I absolutely looovvee The Lovely Bones! I also recently read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, which is also really good.
And like a lot of other tpf's I love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, though I have yet to read the Baby one. Her other books, not in the series, Domestic Goddess and Can You Keep a Secret are great as well.
I just got Bookends by Jane Green and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.