Rated M for Mature???

Hmmm ... I see Hermes as a status symbol, as in: I worked really hard, I'm a professional woman, & I bought this bag with my own money.

Granted, not everyone is like me ... some people are just dripping in money from the day they're born. That said, I think it is inappropriate for a teenager to carry such an expensive bag.

*hides now*
I actually agree. Can I hide with you?? :P

I think it has to do with the attitude. I like box calf and yes, it has a tendacy to feel/look older but it's a classic. Would I frown if I see a teenager carrying a box calf black kelly? No, I won't, I would be happy to know a young teenager likes the kelly. It might be her mom's or even her nana's and the thought that it is shared or hand me down is so sweet. :girlsigh:
I carry a box kelly some may feel it looks oldish on me. Wear it with jeans and it's a totally different look. It's really about attitude.. now, where's that picture of the old lady with the evelyne, the HH's fav?

Found it!! :heart::heart:

It's really about attitude.. now, where's that picture of the old lady with the evelyne, the HH's fav?

attachment.php

NM, you totally do have a point. I always forget that there are teenagers such as yourself who do have a lot of style and grace. You are right, it really isn't a question of age.

I would give a M rating to most exotics. Box calf - Kelly maybe. There is a certain 'chicness' that comes with maturity and elegant dress. A sort of look that says the bag, the dress and the woman all belong together, have been purchased with forethought and put together with care.

Mostly teenagers with exotics, especially birkins and kellys make me think of this:

0449-0609-2514-2719_SM.jpg

(I don't think small accessories are inappropriate)

Wow, this really is an "age old" controversial H question...I'm in my 30's and I still can't imagine myself with a croc birkin, and believe me I've tried hard....so I would have to agree that croc is rated M, BUT my collier de chien is alligator so I just broke my own rule, so let me stipulate that it's not just the skin but the size of the item that makes a difference

In every magazine, in almost every month's issue, there is a little spread about what you can pull off in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc. Now, I may not personally agree with them but it is obvious that some trends can look positively ridiculous on a more mature woman so can not the opposite be true? Can't a more mature look be a bit comical on someone very young?

Plus, God willing, we will all be able to enjoy these different stages so why not wait?:smile:

Just a thought.

Wow, this really is an "age old" controversial H question...I'm in my 30's and I still can't imagine myself with a croc birkin, and believe me I've tried hard....so I would have to agree that croc is rated M, BUT my collier de chien is alligator so I just broke my own rule, so let me stipulate that it's not just the skin but the size of the item that makes a difference
Olive, I think I understand what you are saying. While I would love to have a croc Birkin--how luxe!!--I just don't quite feel "ready" for it somehow. I'm 36. Maybe part of my own issue is that I also don't really feel like the kind of person whose lifestyle allows for a bag of that "stature", so to speak. I'm really not fancy at all (take that, hlfinn!).

Hell, I'm wearing an Old Navy shirt at the moment. :lol:

Mostly teenagers with exotics, especially birkins and kellys make me think of this:

0449-0609-2514-2719_SM.jpg

Hee!
To be blunt, if I saw a very young girl with a croc Kelly or Birkin it would make me immediately think it was probably fake.
I don't recall ever seeing a young girl carrying a croc H bag though--unless you count the Olsen twins, and they're bajillionaires (who earned their own money), so that's different.

That's a good question. I have always like Hermes but I always felt that I was too young to have one. I felt like I would look out of place carrying one. Now that I'm 30, I feel like i can carry it off. Although, at times, I do feel out of place carrying it only because some people make comments to me about it.

OMG, this thread reminds me of the day when I was first caled "Ma'am" instead of Miss. I came to Hermes scarves when I was still a Miss, and was definitely a Ma'am when I got my first Hermes bag. That qualified me for Box Calf immediately, with Ostrich, Lizard and Crocodile following not long afterward.

For me, it isn't a matter of age but of style and appreciation. It would kill me to see a young (middle aged or old) woman slip a paper bag with a MacDonald's hamburger into her Clemence Birkin. If that same young woman were wearing an Alligator Kelly Ado (backpack), and keeping the burger away from her Kelly Ado, then it would be a great, modern look. A Lizard or Croc JPG Kelly, especially in a fun color, would be terrific on a young woman, too.

Where I draw the line is what I'll call "bag abuse," either from ignorance or disdain. When I'm in Greenwich, CT, I often see Birkins that look like a wreck -- as if there's some cachet in appearing to completely disregard the bag. Some look like they've been run over. This lack of respect bothers me, regardless of the age of the woman carrying the bag.

I was in Hermes Madison yesterday and saw several Birkins in dire need of Claude's TLC, but the bags weren't being dropped off. Actually, come to think of it, I did overhear one woman asking Claude if he could restore her bag's shape (currently pretty much flat with huge batwings). He sighed and said perhaps if she would stuff it and store it on its back it might help.

The idea of seeing a young woman incorporate a Box Kelly into her look sounds wonderful to me. That look would not be a midriff baring top, short shorts and flip flops. Lindsay, put that Kelly down and back away slowly.

When I'm in Greenwich, CT, I often see Birkins that look like a wreck -- as if there's some cachet in appearing to completely disregard the bag. Some look like they've been run over. This lack of respect bothers me, regardless of the age of the woman carrying the bag.

I was in Hermes Madison yesterday and saw several Birkins in dire need of Claude's TLC, but the bags weren't being dropped off. Actually, come to think of it, I did overhear one woman asking Claude if he could restore her bag's shape (currently pretty much flat with huge batwings). He sighed and said perhaps if she would stuff it and store it on its back it might help.

Yes, I have seen the same thing many times, in both places. I think Greenwich, particularly, has a lot of people who feel that they can be nonchalant about their very expensive items because that's the "preppy way". It makes me angry as well. I feel that even if you can afford to replace the item ten times over every day, you still should respect and care for your belongings--no matter what they are. It's a value that I fully intend to instill into my children (someday!). When I see Birkins and Kellys abused like that, it really makes me wonder what the person is trying to prove, by making a point of being so careless.
Poor Claude, I can't imagine what he goes through every day.