<Rant> Why can't they standardize sizes?

How about just standardization within one brand? Chanel is all over the place even in the same season. I agree that measurements are the way to go and some websites actually post them for a garment and that is very helpful.

That's why I love sites like net-a-porter, matchesfashion, forward, etc. because they make meaurements available for individual garments. I wish department stores like Neiman and Saks would do the same.

I just want an 8 to be an 8, a 12 to be a 12, Petite to be Petite, Tall to be Tall

I don't care what size you choose that fits you best, you should be able to rely on that size across different brands or at least across styles within a brand.

But men's clothing is more consistent in sizing then women's across brands. Why can't women have consistent sizing as well? I find it easier to buy clothing for DH because they are sized by measurements. For pants, they are usually given as WxL and shirts are neck sizes. Some brands even offer slim-fit/relaxed/short/regular/tall fit for shirts, pants and suits. Even some brands include the cm measurements and S, M , L on the tags of shirts.

Yes, there are some brands or labels within a brand that caters to certain body types but I still find men's clothing better labelled than women's.

Agreed that men's clothing are better labelled than women's. There are too many womenswear webstores nowadays that do not make the effort to put in specific cm measurements!

[/B]

It is because men are not good shoppers and won't put up with all this BS and trying things on. When I go shopping with the DH, his limit is reached at 3 pair of pants!

LOL DH is the same here. Yesterday I had to try on 4 different linen skirts (2 sizes of each style from the same label!) and discovered they all fit differently. sign...

LOL DH is the same here. Yesterday I had to try on 4 different linen skirts (2 sizes of each style from the same label!) and discovered they all fit differently. sign...

I recall many many years ago shopping for Liz Claiborne tee shirts. I liked a particular style because it was paper thin cotton. I tried on at least 20 of them and they were all fitting differently. I finally decided to look at the labels to see where they were manufactured and discovered that they were made in three different places! I went through the same thing years later with a pair of DKNY gabardine pants. Grabbed two the same size, style and color and they fit differently. Looked at the label and one was made in Italy and the other in China!

I just want an 8 to be an 8, a 12 to be a 12, Petite to be Petite, Tall to be Tall

I don't care what size you choose that fits you best, you should be able to rely on that size across different brands or at least across styles within a brand.

I so agree with this. I've gotten burned a few times buying final sale because while I may own a certain size by a specific designer, sometimes I'll buy that same size by that same designer and it won't fit! It seems to change every year too.

Can somebody please explain why these shorts all fit the same person? Yes, the ON 4 is smaller and fits tighter, but not several sizes tighter. I can get them fastened and walk in them just fine. By rights a person who wears size 11 or 12 should not even be able to step into a pair of size 4.

ShortsTags.jpg