Racism at work...

If I heard a racist comment I would confront the person that did it (Don't talk like that! Apologize!), but because that's not easy to do in a work environment I'd report it ASAP. It's not gossip, it's one of the worst things possible. You did the right thing, and now everyone will keep tabs on the racist.

To me, the remarks were very blatant. At first, I was concerned it would affect working relationships if they found out I had said something, but the person I reported doesn't work in the same department as I do, and I haven't actually seen her since the incident so that's worked out in my favor, I guess...? I don't really think it makes a difference about it being my race the remarks were directed towards, but it most certainly is a slap in the face to hear someone saying racist remarks about your race with you standing 2 feet away in clear sight.

But here's the kicker...

HR updated me about what happened with the incident. The co-worker that the person was talking to denied anything had happened. I'm thinking she either didn't want to get the girl in trouble or seriously couldn't remember hearing anything racist. It makes me sad that realize that some people cannot identify racism when it's present... I suppose it's like Prada's example above. The employee that said the remarks admitted to saying it but also said she didn't mean it in a derogatory way. There's nothing more I can do about it... but I guess the awareness is out there...:shrugs:

OMG - I HATE that - to me that's even worse because they don't thikn they're being racist -- it's like admitting yo uhave a drug problem before you can overcome it LOL.
Or people who make comments about - say, black people, but then go "I'm not racist - I have black friends." aargh

To me, the remarks were very blatant. At first, I was concerned it would affect working relationships if they found out I had said something, but the person I reported doesn't work in the same department as I do, and I haven't actually seen her since the incident so that's worked out in my favor, I guess...? I don't really think it makes a difference about it being my race the remarks were directed towards, but it most certainly is a slap in the face to hear someone saying racist remarks about your race with you standing 2 feet away in clear sight.

But here's the kicker...

HR updated me about what happened with the incident. The co-worker that the person was talking to denied anything had happened. I'm thinking she either didn't want to get the girl in trouble or seriously couldn't remember hearing anything racist. It makes me sad that realize that some people cannot identify racism when it's present... I suppose it's like Prada's example above. The employee that said the remarks admitted to saying it but also said she didn't mean it in a derogatory way. There's nothing more I can do about it... but I guess the awareness is out there...:shrugs:

That's too bad. It's difficult, which is why I chose not to report. The most blatantly racist remark/story was made by a guy who sits next to me. He is very well-liked in the group and has made some effort to try to include me. I feel like he is basically a nice guy, but unfortunately ignorant.

Also, all the management that I could direct complaints to are from the same kind of background, and while they would be concerned about protecting the company I don't think any of them would really understand why the various remarks are racist. I don't see a way to make a complaint without being regarded as overly sensitive and antagonistic by the entire group.

One weird incident involved a guy going completely over the top telling a black girl about a horrible, horrible racist person who made comments about a different minority group. Of course, he tells no one else about this horrible, horrible person but tells this particular coworker "you would appreciate this" (because you're black). Oy vey.

You did the right thing, and congrats most people would have just ignored them or pretend they did not hear it. But if they said it right in your presence they did not care that you over heard it. They said it openly like that to see your reaction.

But a word of advice by you reported it, watch out for this co-worker and whomever else thinks the same as they do. They aren't pleased you reported them.

Here's a twist for this thread. Please, please, please understand I'm using the words I heard. I do NOT use this type of language and it makes me cringe when I hear it being used. This in mind, it makes what I heard that much more disturbing.

I used to work in a professional office setting. I had a private office. I'm white, but the office is about half white/half black. Two doors down one day I heard a secretary talking to a tech. assistant. Both these ladies are black. They were freely referring to another person in the office (who was black) as a "******" and calling each other "******" in a joking manner.

I was raised in the South during the height of the Civil Rights movement. Even so, our parents would have knocked us into tomorrow if we use the word "******" in ANY context. We were watching television when the news broke in to say Dr. King had been murdered. So here I am some 45 years later and I hear black persons calling each other ******? Someone needs to explain this to me. I can only imagine how many times Dr. King has turned over in his grave at this.

The real twist? I felt obliged to let it go: our supervisor was black.

Prada Psycho, I understand your concern, it is a hateful, mean and cruel word no matter who is using it. It is connected to such a cruel and hateful part of our past that was so intensified with hatred that we are all still dealing with the aftermath of it today. This word is connected to slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, ghettos, voting rights being denied and job discrimination, So you were right to view this as odd because that is exactly what it is. No matter who is saying it, it is still the same ugly word. And something this ugly you can't dress it up no matter what you do.

But here's the kicker...

I think you took the first step towards getting people to recognize that it is a problem. And it was one of the bravest/best things that you can do in a situation like this.

It makes me sad when people don't recognize that it's racist and have half-assed apologies about "not meaning to offend people". The minute that someone thinks it's offensive and hurtful, it's racist. People don't understand that line.

I cannot stand when people make ignorant remarks!!

There used to be a woman who worked with me and she was talking to a coworker and they were talking about a swimming pool in our area that is lots of to go to especially when you are little. It is no country club but everyone loves it. My manager was saying how much her grandkids love it and the other coworker said.."I never let my kids go there. They would bring all of those inner city kids in and drop them off and they were dirty". That is the direct quote. I was beyond mad when I heard this. I spend a majority of my time with inner city kids and she spends no time with these kids and have no idea the life they live. My manager proceeded to say stuff back to her about how rude and ignorant that statement was and she quickly shut her mouth. I was in shock because I could not believe she said that. How dare she claim all inner city kids are dirty. As a child I am sure I was dirty and I swam at the pool but she didn't judge me because I was white. I was so sick after hearing this comment.

Prada Psycho, I understand your concern, it is a hateful, mean and cruel word no matter who is using it. It is connected to such a cruel and hateful part of our past that was so intensified with hatred that we are all still dealing with the aftermath of it today. This word is connected to slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, ghettos, voting rights being denied and job discrimination, So you were right to view this as odd because that is exactly what it is. No matter who is saying it, it is still the same ugly word. And something this ugly you can't dress it up no matter what you do.

well said!!!

I personally think you should have confronted the person first. I'm chinese and I make stereotypical jokes with my friends all the time (my friend says I can't see, and I say she blends into a white wall). I think most importantly is CONTEXT. Seriously, I feel like people make a big deal out of something without the right CONTEXT. joking around with someone is not racism or discrimination without context. I am personally not offended by others when they make jokes at me unless there is context. I don't think being Chinese or any race has anything to do with it.

Furthermore, I think that taking offense at what others say is always subjective as well. Different people have a different tolerance for this kind of stuff (mine being rather high I guess). But I think the context in which the other person is purposely trying to hurt you, put you at a disadvantage, or anything like that should be considered racism and discrimination.

BUT reporting it is definitely better than ignoring it. just my 2 cents. =)