Racism at work...

cutiepie21

O.G.
May 15, 2006
If you overheard racism remarks from another co-worker at work, not directly aimed at you, but at people of your race/ethnicity, and the co-worker who was making the racist remarks knew you were in earshot because you were standing right there, would you report it?

I had an incident and ended up reporting it, but not sure if I made the right decision... I mean, in the end, it's a "he-said- she-said", right?

Definitely. That does not belong at work (or anywhere else, imo), and if you heard it, chances are said person has done it before and someone else has heard it, and it'll happen again until it's stopped.

Good for you! If no one mentions it, the person will assume their behavior is condoned. Not even smart enough to filter their small minds at work!

I did. It was a totally unexpected thing because it came from our department head during a meeting and was directed towards a particular race of which there were several in our group. We were all in shock :wtf: all the more so as he acted like he was justified in saying what he just did. It happened last week and most of us signed a letter of complaint that my coworkers initiated. I'm really interested to see what happens to him. I was cringing while at the mtg.

I feel better about reporting it, now. The manager said that they would pull the co-worker aside to talk to her about it and I'm 100% sure she'll deny it, because, who wouldn't, you know? And if she denies it, I don't want my company to think I'm a trouble maker for reporting it in the first place.

I feel better about reporting it, now. The manager said that they would pull the co-worker aside to talk to her about it and I'm 100% sure she'll deny it, because, who wouldn't, you know? And if she denies it, I don't want my company to think I'm a trouble maker for reporting it in the first place.

-If there was more than just you at this meeting, I don't see it being a he said/she said situation. Unless your other meeting attendees will not speak up with you... let us know what happens.

I am not going to say you did something wrong, but sometimes is it best to stay out of other peoples issues. Sometimes it isn't worth you having to be in the middle. I would say you were between a rock and a hard place!!

At work, sometimes it really sucks to do the right thing.

I reported someone who put false notes in a file we were handling together - somehow he found out it was me that reported it and told everyone that I was a narc and a b**ch - there were a few rough days with all the gossip and rumors flying around - but upper management pulled me aside and said I did the right thing and there's no reason why I should feel bad about it, because they want to eliminate the bad apples of the workplace. Subsequently, he got fired.