Question for NYers & anyone who lives in a major city

Do you carry LV bags or Gucci or any other logo branded bags? There have been so many recent posts about how people mention no one in their area wears LV, it made me wonder.

After seeing the little blurb in Sunday's NYTimes about LV's neverfull, it sort of made me want one but, at the same time, since there are so many fakes... Plus my 16 year old neighbor carries an LV...

I don't like logo bags. I admire real LV bags but would never buy one because fakes are so common. So many people carry fakes, ugh. I still like Coach, at least some of their leather bags, but not their logo bags. In my area of NJ, I see a lot of Coach, a lot of fake LV, and good Lord, those hideous, plastic Kathy van Zeeland bags!! Sorry, KvZ fans, just MHO!

Also from NY and I've been working in a restaurant downtown this summer, I've seen and commented about a wonderful diversity of bags, including but not limited to Kooba Siennas, Botkier Biancas, MJ Hudson, YSL Muses in all the colors they come in, Guccis-new and vintage, a lot of LVs on the train, a few Balenciagas, one of which was an '01 Flat Brass First that literally left me speechless. :heart:

They opened up a Hermes 2 blocks away but I haven't seen an Birkins around me yet. For the most part, the Coach and Dooneys I see are the tourists from the Midwest area. It's kinda funny when you see the mother with a Coach tote, the oldest daughter with a smaller version of the tote, the middle daughter with a shoulder bag, and the youngest daughter, who can't possibly be more than 12, wearing a Coach mini messenger thing.

As for me, my new passion in life is Balenciaga and that's all I wear now. Kinda sad since I have this brand spanking new Damier Azur Speedy that should be broken in at some point.

There are a MILLION fakes here in NYC... the fakes industry is huge, and yes, it's right out in the open. (Though you go in a "back room" in Chinatown for the "good" fakes.) I see a ton of fake LV, Balenciaga, etc. It depends what part of town you're in... in Soho, most likely everything you see carried is real. But in my Brooklyn neighborhood, there is a terrible trend of wearing fake Rock & Republics, the gaudier the better!

The Big Apple is a great place for purse eye-candy! I see just about everything.. a ton of LV, gucci, fendi, hermes, chanel, ysl, mj... and can't forget the other designers who make fabulous bags but who are less commercial.

Annie- Canal Street only sells fake bags. If you want a fake LV, then you will be able to find what you are looking for in Canal Street.

If you want authentic LV, your best bet is to check out Saks Fifth Ave or the LV boutiques on Madison and Fifth Ave.

Thanks! I'd love to buy the real thing, but its for my 13 yr old daughter and she doesn't care. We have never been to canal st., is it safe? do you have any tips on the shopping there?

I am in Boston - I am surrounded by logos - primarily LV & Coach - real & fake. I don't bother to see the difference anymore, they're everywhere.
I am now tired of not only their logos but everyone elses as well - all look the same after a while. I'm staying away from the blatent signature bags.

I don't live in the city of Boston, but I live about 30 min away and I see the same as everyone else...fakes fakes, but I to have decided to stop looking and trying to care about others fake bags and just love and cherish my real ones!!!

Annie45 - depends what you mean by "safe" the people who sell fakes are only here for business. If you're worried about cops though, that may be a different story - i've seen several times walking around canal cops raiding stores and many sellers are sent running with their garbage bags full of merchandise lol

as for tips - i don't know much, i've never bought fakes but i've seen their workings just out of curiosity lol - you have to really browse; most actual stores will not display their counterfeit merchandise but if you ask certain stores, they'll take you to their "back room" as some would say. but if you don't get lucky, theres random sellers on the street who say "LV, COACH, GUCCI" to people who pass by - there are a lot stationed right outside of starbucks on canal and centre. (its quite annoying when i come out of the train station and theyre just bombarding you)

I live in Italy, Torino. Here and in the great part of north Italy you can see: LV,GUCCI,FENDI,PRADA, and all the bags that have a big monogram on !!!
Rarely you see Balenciaga, Dior, Chanel, Tod's, Hogan.
I 've know Coach reading you.

I like that you see different bags in different areas. In the financial district, I may see LVs, tons of Longchamps, Guccis, maybe MJ bags. Downtown around Soho or LES, I might see more Botkiers, HHs, Balenciaga, Koobas, etc. Tourists definitely carry a lot of Coach and D&B. Sample sale shoppers carry a bit of everything.

Am in San Francisco.

I see the basics, : LOTS of LVs (I could tell the fakes from a mile away btw); chanel; some gucci; a minute number of Balenciagas; and alot of urban outfitters and not recognizable but artsy bags. Also saw a fake Hermes today too...hahaha