question for new yorkers..

Here's another question...My husband has taken a job in NYC. He'll be working at Rockefeller Center.

Currently we live outside of DC. It's a forty minute commute by metro into the city. We're a of couple miles from the metro station. We are also walking-distance from a very good public elementary school. (We have two 4-year-olds.) Our 3 bedroom townhouse is $1650/month (no garage), and current preschool is $1500 for both.

What can we expect when we move? In what areas should we look for housing? We expect to pay more, but i'm not sure what is reasonable. I am more concerned with neighborhoods, schools (also, I am a teacher), etc.

I am not sure what you are looking for, but I would definitely go with a house, say west of the city with a 30 minute commute- close to the train or bus. The taxes are better in NJ and so are the schools.

this is a link for the "report cards" of the nj schools. http://education.state.nj.us/rc/rc06/index.html

here is what i can find on ny, http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/ciai/cores.htm#3ela

I've thought about maybe moving to Boston first, I know rent's probably as expensive as NYC but at least tax is lower. And not that Boston is a second choice coz I've always wanted to move to either Boston or New York. So I guess it all comes down to where I can get a job or which one pays higher.

Boston is actually cheap in comparison- My friend just got a really nice 1br on Commonwealth Ave in the heart of BU, first floor (street level) for $1200+ utilities. My best friend also lives up there and pays about $750 for her half of the condo. Public transportation is also cheaper.

Honestly, I wanted to more to NYC right after school, but I am glad that I live outside NYC and not in it. It is nice to come home to quiet. I have quite a few friends that live in Carroll Gardens out in Brooklyn and love it. Hoboken, NJ is also a great area. You really have to know how to budget and save if you are going to move here.

Your best bets are craigslist, nytimes.com and bostonglobe.com for looking for room mates and apartments.

I am a New YOrker most of my life...I have owned in Manhattan and now I rent a three bedroom and have a car I need to park too...and pay two school tuitions. Yes, it is expensive but would I give it up to move out of NY? Never. Never ever. Nothing else like it. That being said, if you are starting out I would advise looking on the upper west side or upper east side but east of 3rd. Avenue. I would avoid a broker..get the Times. Look for the management companies and go direct. Why pay someone a hefty fee? Be sure that your financials are in order...the promise of a job will not mean anything to a landlord. You have to have money in the bank or have someone co-sign the lease with you. Some management companies do not allow this. You also have to be prepared to move quickly. The good apartments at good prices go fast and if you do not have your money situation sorted out someone else surely will and can rent the apt. you want. As far as buying is concerned, we have decided to ride the market out and remain liquid without all our money tied up so if the market does come down (a big if) we can pounce. You really can not touch a good two bedroom for under 1 million in a doorman building and one bedrooms are simply harder to resell. Do your homework...go to Borders and buy NYC real estate guide books and study them. The more you know the better off you will be. No, may not be easy, but definitely worth it and I would advise you to try and stay in Manhattan if at all possible...just easier I think.

Hi i:heart:bags, thanks for replying! Where would be the best place to look for a co-op/condo? I heard those would be cheaper?

I would check out the nytimes. I am not sure where you are, but most places carry the times at least on Sunday. Sunday is also great to look because the new listings come out then. Co-ops are not necessarily cheaper, it all depends on location. Look on the upper east side and upper west sides- for places in manhattan. I am assuming you are looking to rent on seeing how buying them starts in the millions.

http://www.corcoran.com/property/search.aspx?Region=NYC&RentSale=RU check out there. They are one of the largest real estate companies in the city.

http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?Region=NYC&ListingID=980770 this one sounds like a really good option, not sure what realtor fees would run though.

I am a New YOrker most of my life...I have owned in Manhattan and now I rent a three bedroom and have a car I need to park too...and pay two school tuitions. Yes, it is expensive but would I give it up to move out of NY? Never. Never ever. Nothing else like it. That being said, if you are starting out I would advise looking on the upper west side or upper east side but east of 3rd. Avenue. I would avoid a broker..get the Times. Look for the management companies and go direct. Why pay someone a hefty fee? Be sure that your financials are in order...the promise of a job will not mean anything to a landlord. You have to have money in the bank or have someone co-sign the lease with you. Some management companies do not allow this. You also have to be prepared to move quickly. The good apartments at good prices go fast and if you do not have your money situation sorted out someone else surely will and can rent the apt. you want. As far as buying is concerned, we have decided to ride the market out and remain liquid without all our money tied up so if the market does come down (a big if) we can pounce. You really can not touch a good two bedroom for under 1 million in a doorman building and one bedrooms are simply harder to resell. Do your homework...go to Borders and buy NYC real estate guide books and study them. The more you know the better off you will be. No, may not be easy, but definitely worth it and I would advise you to try and stay in Manhattan if at all possible...just easier I think.

Well said! :biggrin:

Sometimes too, you just have to walk around UES or UWS past all the buildings to see which ones have signs up and the phone numbers for the management corps. I've seen people to do that while they are on holiday in the city.

Such great input from everyone!
So how much would a studio or an 1 bedroom apt be in Soho or the W Village?

And on another note... Is the notorious roach problem in NYC true? I'm SO afraid of insects... LOL
Also, can you find new-ish apts ? I ask because in Paris it's a given fact that all the buildings are ancient with no elevators and with very old kitchens/ bathrooms because the ppl here aren't too anal about that stuff.

studio in Soho or the W Village

at least $2500 i would say.

roach problems depends on areas. i didn't really have that problem.

yes there a lot of new buildings but certain areas like soho and Wvillage are usually old buildings. depends on the area and how much redevelopment or development going on

Such great input from everyone!
So how much would a studio or an 1 bedroom apt be in Soho or the W Village?

And on another note... Is the notorious roach problem in NYC true? I'm SO afraid of insects... LOL
Also, can you find new-ish apts ? I ask because in Paris it's a given fact that all the buildings are ancient with no elevators and with very old kitchens/ bathrooms because the ppl here aren't too anal about that stuff.

^^There are just too many factors to consider when determining price for an apt in NYC. Location is everything. As you can tell by previous posts, some people don't even have closet space. I know when I was going to school many moons ago, I knew people that had apt with their shower in their kitchen. That was on the UES. Trust me, I never ate at their house. LOL. Also, if it is a clean bldg, I wouldn't worry to much about roaches. It helps not to live above a restaurant though.

I guess a typical one bedroom would be like a Seinfeld apt, but even that is kind of big from what I have seen in past years. I can tell you that I used to live in ***** tower about 10 years ago. One bedroom back then was $5000/month for 750 sf. It was more like living in a hotel though. I can't even imagine how much it is now. I do know that his new building on Park Ave, a one bedroom, 800 sf, is about $6500/month. No dining area. My cousin just bought in there.

Now if you go across the river to NJ, you get an amazing view and rents range from Ft Lee, Weekhawken, Edgewater, Englewood to Hoboken about $2000 and up depending on the neighborhood. They have mostly apt bldg overlooking Manhattan. Plus you get a great view and they are very short commutes. There are also a lot of townhouse communities in NJ that are close to Manhattan.

I live waaaay up on the upper west side and pay around $1k for my one BR apartment. It's a half hour subway ride on my morning commute to 34th st. No doorman, but it's a very nice building, laundry in basement, elevator.

i:heart:bags- thanks i will check those sites

kalodie1- thanks for all that info. do u have a book to suggest in particular?

I'm getting really excited and scared at the same time although graduation is not anytime too soon. I'm thinking of taking my last fall/spring break to go to either NYC or Boston(depends on where I land a job) and look for apartments. :yes:

I live in the w.60s, tiny 1br in a doorman building for 1700. It's a pretty good deal though I think in comparison to the rest of the manhattan.