Question about LV vs Dooney

Interesting thread! I love Dooney and it is also my first expensive bag I bought 16 years ago. I still have the bag, it is a satchel from the All weather leather and I bought a matching wallet with it. They are made in USA then. I used that bag forever until a few years ago when I started branching out. I still love dooney and in fact waiting for a zip wallet that I ordered yesterday.
Having said that I am now obsessed with LV, particularly with LV monogram! I want to get one now but my husband said to put it in my xmas list! Anyway, both Dooney and LV caters to different markets, if you dont mind spending then LV is the way to go. Both have the good and the ugly. It's up to individual what their preferences are.
I wish posters just respect individual choices. Thank god for for all the variety in life.

How a bag ages will depend on three things:

The overall quality of the bag in general
How tough someone is on their bags
How often the bag is carried.

If you rarely carry your bag, it'll stay in good shape even if you sling it around like a garbage bag. If you treat it with tender loving care, you can carry it every day and still have it be in great shape years down the road. It depends.

You really can't compare apples and oranges when these factors are unknown.

nathansgirl1908 said:
And I also still say that you can't say that LV has significantly better quality than D&B. My aunt still has a Dooney from when they first came out and it looks GREAT. I still have one that I got in high school and IT looks great. I have seen LV speedies that look terrible after a few years. The botoom of my alma is starting to look peaked and I've only had that bag since 2003.

I have to admit all joking aside this has been a great discussion with no flames at all! I hope we can continue to have more of these types of discussions!

This has been a great discussion and I have to say I expected worse, seeing as how this topic did tread in dangerous territory! But fellow tPF'ers have been quite calm and rational about this controversial topic!

Way back when Dooney made the all weather leather bags I loved their company. They were high quality and looked unique to me. They wore like iron and I think they were made in the USA. I loved their bags and owned many. But now they just seem to be a "copy cat" company. I miss the days of their duck logo bags. All they make now is stuff that looks like other companies.. mainly LV IMHO. I think if they had just kept doing what they were doing they would have remained unique. But they have choosen to make a bazillion different bags in a bazillion different styles. I suppose some people like that, but to me they lost their feeling of being "special". They seem to be spreading themseves too thin. They use to make one thing really well, and now they make a BUNCH of stuff that is just so- so or even sub par in my opinion.

And Sweetmama I know you didn't mean any harm with the bus comment. But it irks me when I see someone saying things like "she was shopping at a discount store so therefore her LV must be fake". Some of the wealthiest people are also some of the biggest penny pinchers... you might be surprised.

Very well put, crjhht. I think a lot of people won't question the Dooney quality, but they're dismayed by the direction they've gone in their styles.

(Also, about the bus comment: I get what she was saying, but if I hadn't sold my car I wouldn't be able to afford a lot of my bags. :P Living in a city with a decent public transportation system and a ton of traffic means that you can get to where you need to go without the hassle of a car, regardless of your annual income. :yes:)

Wow What a topic! I don't really see how you can compare the two.

Truth is I owned a Dooney when I was in 7th grade when it was with the duck logo (my mom was a label hoochie just like me- thank God thats where I get my great taste). But then she purchased my first Gucci purse for me at 14 years-old. Once I went to Gucci going back to Dooney was not an option. It's all about perspective. If you have never owned a Louis then I think you will be happy with a Dooney but once you cross the line it's incredibly difficult to go back!! It just would not/does not feel the same to carry a Dooney vs. a Louis!!

I mean who doesn't want the more expensive purse!?!? I mean THIS IS a forum for shallow obsessing, isn't it!?!

For me, I try to take into consideration with the craftsmanship of the bag, and if it costs an arm and a leg, I *might* get it depending on how much I like the quality. Admittedly, I'll take a Coach bag over a Dooney & Bourke (and even over some other extremely high-end bags), but only because I've heard the least problems with Coach (except for people saying it's "cheap" or too ubiquitous). Also, from other outside sources (and not just this board), the quality of LV supercedes that of D&B.

I have to date owned two Dooney's and I adore them. I am a twenty year old on a budget and even these Dooney's sometimes break the bank. I love a name brand and I rarely go for no-name brands. But I have to say, I am currently in LOVE with my newest Dooney addiction, the Large Buckle Satchel. It does have the colorful DB print on black treated fabric and I just can't get enough. I bought the matching cosmetic case and a large zip around wallet. I am going to get a Dooney case for my Palm Treo soon and I can't wait. I'd LOVE LOVE to own a LV but I just do not have the funds for such an extravagent purchase, although I wish I did. But for now, with my current salary, the Dooney is just perfect for me. The purse was $235 and the cosmetic case was $55 and the Zip around wallet was $135 so that was a pretty big purchase for me. If any of you would like to send me a LV bag for my upcoming wedding I sure wouldn't say no!!! Hehe!

So for all the Dooney lovers, I am on the bandwagon.

To the LV owners....I AM JEALOUS! Hehe!

Much :heart: Friends.

i had a D&B all weather bag & all of the goodies to go inside, good thing it was when my kids were babies because all that stuff weighed a TON! the only way I could take it out of the house was if I had it hanging off of a stroller. 18 years latedr that bag looks as new as it did when I bought it. I gave it to my MIL & she has carried it pretty much every day for the last 8 years! They are great bags. The new stuff....not so much. My daughter is in 8th grade & even she turned her nose up at their latest patterns. "I am NOT a baby" she told me when I showed it to her. LOL these are very different bags than they used to be.
Aside from the young designs, the leather trim isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. I love my LVs as well as my other designer bags & think comparing them is rediculous & serves no purpose.

I love my LVs as well as my other designer bags & think comparing them is rediculous & serves no purpose.

Taco,
I'm glad you love your LV and other designer bags, but not everyone can make such an extravagant purchase. In fact, for some, a dooney or coach is considered extravagant.

The fact that I made a comparison is not at all ridiculous. I think you are being a bit harsh. This is a forum of varying opinions and tastes. Just because you don't like dooneys any longer, there are many who value their much as you value your LVs.

I get the fact that LV's are clearly a better quality than dooney, but for its price point, if one finds a style they like, dooneys are not a bad value. I agree they are too young looking these days, but there are some styles that are still nice. I feel Coach bags fit in the same category, just maybe a notch higher than dooney, IMO.

I don't have an LV to compare dooney to, so I am happy to hear from people that own do one. I hope to have one or two LVs someday, and because I see how many LV fanatics there are out there it makes me think that with a little $$ and some guidance from fellow tPF'ers, I can become one of them! :yes:

Please know that while I made this comparison, I was not trying to say that LV is a waste of money (though some people may think that spending that kind of $$ on a bag is insane), I was simply attempting to guage the value of LV vs dooney.

IMO: Dooney looks cheap. have a dooney sitting next to ANY designer bag and it will be embarassed. Dooney has no class!!!

Yes, BagCollector, some dooneys do look cheap. But some are cute. And many tPF'ers have said that they hold up very well, and last many years.

People, let's try not to be so elitist. :rolleyes: