quality issues-- Floral sophia is literally falling apart at the seams + other probs

wow , if your manager doesn't accommodate you and these numerous issues, i'd be really surprised...you are a loyal customer...they owe you for your time and your gas and your aggravation!

I have Coach bags I've had for years. The last 4 Coach bags have all had issues.

I had a Hailey that had to go back for repairs

a Sabrina that cracked on the sealant

a peyton that had a nail and metal piece of something in between the fabric and leather

my Ali has rings that just a tad bit off and I had to fix my own clip on the bag

they swore they sent me a bag they didn't send. I have almost come to the end of my rope....except I still love them so I will try a few more times. My last bag the Hampton Flap in cypress was perfect. I heard many were not.

I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around an $800 bag that starts falling apart after a few uses. If I were to pay that much for a bag, I would expect it to last for YEARS! I probably paid less than $100 for my first station bag in 1988, and it is still in fairly good condition after almost 20 years of wear (I bought a new one in 2006 and retired my old one). Seriously.

I am beginning to think that this is the one HUGE downfall above all others that's a result of Coach being so popular!!! I love Coach...but it seems that anymore everyone and their dog does too! This means they have to amp UP production and this means CRAP (and that bag is CRAP) coming off the assembly lines! Is this an excuse? HELL NO!!! I venture to HOPE that when they do a specialty bag like this that they're made in a specific dept. that has TOP OF THE LINE quality control partnered wit their best equipment and seasoned employee's. It almost seems as if you're better off to go buy 2-3 run of the mill MFF bags when you consider the fact that everytime Coach comes out with something new like this they can't get it right!!!!

It's always these uber expensive bags that have problems too, not some signature lunch tote from the outlet!!! I think the bag was a return and they 'hoped' to pawn it off on someone that they'd be shipping to vs. selling to in person. No care card and the glue and stitching falling apart?! You've gotta be kidding me COACH!!!

Best of luck OP, I'd be mad as mad can be too!!!

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I have not carried my Floral Sophia yet, but I am certainly going to look it over carefully. I hope it's okay, because I don't want to give it up. And I hope your replacement turns out to be fine. Hang in there!:smile:

Aww, don't be scared to talk about things like that. It helps others look their bags over better carefully (any bag, not just this) to make sure the same doesn't happen to them.
If no one talks about the probs, no one knows what to look for on theirs. I hate that you sent her back...I know how bad you wanted her. :sad:
Hopefully these quality defects will end...I am so upset for seeing others get so disappointed. Especially for bags they have been waiting months for and spend a lot on. It's just not right.
But Alma, don't ever be apprehensive about speaking about a problem...we're all family here. :smile: We have this forum to speak our minds and help one another out; that includes consoling members when they have a problem with a bag.
:hugs:
Thanks for your words...next time this happens I will let you ladies know about it...

Yes, please do. If the OP hadn't started this thread, I wouldn't have looked at my Sophia closely tonight. I discovered I too have a handle strap that is also unraveling. And I've only carried it once for a couple of hours yesterday.

Are you kidding me?! What a waste of resources!!! I don't know what the problem is here. I can't speak for Coach's manufacturing process BUT I work in a factory (largest in the world) that makes seats for John Deere, Case, CAT etc and there are ZERO DEFECTS tollerated!!! Even if there is a small COSMETIC problem there are engineers crawling ALL OVER MY AREA!!! I'm held accountable for the quality of every piece that passes thru my hands!!!!

Yes, please do. If the OP hadn't started this thread, I wouldn't have looked at my Sophia closely tonight. I discovered I too have a handle strap that is also unraveling. And I've only carried it once for a couple of hours yesterday.

I'm so sorry OP, I'd be really angry and frustrated as well. These problems shouldn't be happening, particularly with such expensive bags. The handle and floral appliques/embellishments on an $800 handbag should be stitched not glued. Coach's profit margin on this bag was already huge. It probably cost under $100 to manufacture. To stitch these items on/onto this bag would've cost maybe $10 or less per bag?

Coach used to make impeccable leather goods. Unfortunately, it appears that's no longer true. However, I'm not surprised. I read somewhere recently that Coach was going to try to increase its profit margin this fiscal year by lowering production costs (i.e., using cheaper materials and production processes). I guess this is the result of their modified business plan.

BTW, I think you should receive a discount, gift certificate or something for your troubles. Your time is valuable. Why should it be spent making trips to the Coach store to rectify their mistakes? Also, with the cost of gas these days, making multiple 2 hour round trips can really start to add up.

Sorry for the rant. I hope everything turns out well. Keep us posted.

ETA: Speaking of quality of issues, I saw a Small Black Sabrina at L&T last week that had vastly different textured leather panels on the front and back of the bag. The front panel was completely smooth, while the back panel was horribly wrinkled and looked like PVC. It was heavily discounted but I couldn't believe that a department store would've even accepted such merchandise from Coach.

Last edited:
I am so sorry it happend to your bag! I can imagine how frustrating it is. I am not sure i would even want an exchange hearing that someone else had a problem. Obvoiusly the quality is not the same it used to be even they do let you exchange/return. I don't remeber 4- 5 years ago any of the bags I bough falling apaprt like that. The shoulder pad on a shoulder strap on my Blue krisitin satchel is starting to show white under and I haven't worn the bag yet, it is on top of my dresser, I just put it on and admire it in a mirrow every time I walk by... It doesn't look bad, but makes me wonder what will look like after I have it for a year? Will the color be just rubbing off and showing white all over?

I also came across this thread a while ago. http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/coach-quality-issues-622136.html?highlight=quality For some reason ;) it kind of just died down and didn't grow.... I wonder why.... I haven't posted anything in it and am not sure if any of the posters here did. Sometimes it seems to me bringing up Coaches quality issues is not popular here and is looked at like Coach bashing... For some reason some feel personally attacked when somebody else says that Coach's bags don't last like they used to and quality is not that high any more. For $800 the bag should outlive any of us and fall appart unglued.

Last edited: