Purchasing from Canada...

So am I Crazy here! I am hoping to find out the duty tomorrow AM Before they ship it. Little Nervous, if I had seen it IRL that would be different. I am not a GH girl at all. But the color of the Leather is just Yummy!!! When I looked at the swatches this is the one I LOVED! Wish me luck!

The store can't possibly tell you what duty will be...they won't have any idea what US Customs may or may not charge you. What you can do is ask the boutique what shipping method they use, which will give you an idea of whether brokerage fees will be charged, and the likelihood of duties being charged. Good luck!

I just bought a bag from NM and got charged 370 on customs and duties. I dont know how shipping from Can to US works though? but it should be roughly the same.

Actually, there tends to be a big difference. If the right shipping method is used, US buyers can avoid having to pay customs all together. And even if US buyers are charged taxes/duty, the rates seem to be much lower than the Canadian rates. Sucks for us Canadians! ;)

If you are charged Canadian taxes, you should be able to claim them back. I went to Toronto a couple of years ago and submitted all of my receipts for the clothes and handbag I bought. I got a check back from the Canadian government for all of the sales tax I had paid on the items...

Unfortunately, Cdn govt is no longer offer any tax rebate for tourist.

How come the boutiques up here will ship down to the US but it boutiques in the states doesn't ship up here? I tried to purchase a bag from Vegas once and they said I would have to ship it to someone with a US address.

Chanel boutique will ship to Canada, only if you have to call your CC company & notifying them you are buying from the states. SA will then have to call the CC company to confirm you are the card holder & make sure the transaction will get through without problem. Probably the SA from Vegas don't bother to make another call & that's it.

In case anyone from Canada trying to buy from the US & thinking of sending the item to an US address first, you should also call your CC company to add an US address on your account first. Remember it's to add a shipping address, not to change your Cdn billing address. SA will be easy to process the transaction easier. BTW, somehow Cdn AMEX won't able to add US shipping address for me, but M/C can add that for me instead.

However, buying within Canada & from Chanel boutique (Toronto) won't accept CC at all. They will only accept money order. I have no clue why:confused1:

I just talked to US Customs and they told me any leather handbag over $20 is charged 10%. Our tax here is 9% anyway. So basically I am at 6% over ($150) what I would have payed here plus shipping. Not as bad as it could be...Maybe I'll luck out and it'll be less, never know. The guy at Customs asked the value and then how many pieces. When I said one, he was like "what"?? I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!

Unfortunately, Cdn govt is no longer offer any tax rebate for tourist.

Chanel boutique will ship to Canada, only if you have to call your CC company & notifying them you are buying from the states. SA will then have to call the CC company to confirm you are the card holder & make sure the transaction will get through without problem. Probably the SA from Vegas don't bother to make another call & that's it.

In case anyone from Canada trying to buy from the US & thinking of sending the item to an US address first, you should also call your CC company to add an US address on your account first. Remember it's to add a shipping address, not to change your Cdn billing address. SA will be easy to process the transaction easier. BTW, somehow Cdn AMEX won't able to add US shipping address for me, but M/C can add that for me instead.

However, buying within Canada & from Chanel boutique (Toronto) won't accept CC at all. They will only accept money order. I have no clue why:confused1:

i have had no problem adding u.s. shipping address to my amex card, i've been doing it for quite awhile. adding an alternative shipping address is a must if you ship the goods to a u.s. address.