Prong-set rings and cashmere sweaters

gnaw

Jan 9, 2010
Do your prong-set rings catch tiny threads from your cashmere sweaters (or really thin scarf)?

Just wondering as I think this happens quite often to mine.

Thanks!

missD

O.G.
May 29, 2006
Happens to me. It's REALLY REALLY minuscule fibers though, I don't even see them until I really STARE or put my rings up to light.

If you're catching threads where you can see it easily, get your prongs checked.

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Do your prong-set rings catch tiny threads from your cashmere sweaters (or really thin scarf)?

Thanks!
Yes and it's super annoying. My eternity band is the worst bec the prongs are not very smooth. My new e-ring setting hopefully wont now that it is a new ring and I hope they made the prongs smooth. But the one I am replacing was like the bane of my existence. I would not use my hand to finger comb my hair because I'd end up stuck.

Gimmethebag

Gimme Gimme Gimme
O.G.
Dec 2, 2008
Chicago
I wear my e-ring at work and I work in a clothing store, fortunately without any problems. I know this sounds BSC but this was a big concern of mine, given what I do right now. I think the prongs from Tiffany are pretty flush to the ring. When I rub my hand over my ring, it feels different than some other rings we looked at. I couldn't help but think of snags with those rings with the diamonds in the prongs.

My ring also sits more like a band. I wear a three stone, not a solitaire. I think that also helps from having my ring catch on a cashmere sweater.

gnaw

Jan 9, 2010
Yeah I stare at it and I know it's going to catch thin threads off of cashmere stuff. I always have to turn the stone when I am putting on a cashmere sweater.

Just don't want it to always happen and I think this could eventually loosen the prong?

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Great question!!!

I recently re-set my ring and asked about having "dragon claws" as the style for my double prongs. (Leon Mege's are gorgeous!)

Anyways.....to make a long story short, I was talked out of it as my jeweller told me the pointy prongs will snag on everything & will drive me insane.

That being said, Mark Morell is famous for claiming his settings being "snag-free".....even pantyhose aren't an issue.

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Great question!!!

I recently re-set my ring and asked about having "dragon claws" as the style for my double prongs. (Leon Mege's are gorgeous!)

Anyways.....to make a long story short, I was talked out of it as my jeweller told me the pointy prongs will snag on everything & will drive me insane.

That being said, Mark Morell is famous for claiming his settings being "snag-free".....even pantyhose aren't an issue.
Yes, but the finish he gives his items is incomparable to pretty much ANYONE. That's part of why I almost went with him, despite the astronomical pricetag.

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Yes, but the finish he gives his items is incomparable to pretty much ANYONE. That's part of why I almost went with him, despite the astronomical pricetag.
LOL.....I know. I almost had him make me a setting 2 years ago.......phenomenal work. You'd have to get a matching band as well......"just because"!

gnaw

Jan 9, 2010
Looks like I am not the only one!

This is annoying but we got to live with it. I am planning on getting a prong-set eternity band. I am really hoping that the prongs won't catch on things; can't imagine how much catching that's going to be if they do!

park56

O.G.
Aug 26, 2007

Thanks!
All the time - and it's a nightmare because I also love Loro Piana shawls (the woven cashmere ones) and Hermes cashmere shawls!