Professional Mulberry Seller - sold Scored label bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was the victim of a scored through label bag via ebay. But the seller had very dishonestly glued a good Mulberry badge on top of the scored one, which I only saw when it started to peel off. I was livid! Luckily the seller gave me an immediate refund (and I kept the good label so they couldn't try that trick again!).

The seller of your friend's bag may not have been aware of what the scored label meant. Maybe they did. It's a tricky situation and I'm not sure what the best solution is tbh. I hope your friend can continue to enjoy the bag as she has done for the past 14 months.

klp that was definately dishonest.
I had a limited edition Python Roxy from Harrods and was told at the time that some department stores did used to score labels to show it was a sale item?
This was a while ago though and I don't think they do it on the new bags now.

UPDATE

Well, girls brace yourself for a shocker of an update.

My friend contacted the seller of the scored label bag) and asked for a quote for buy back, stating it was the same bag she had purchased and included photos.

This bag had been out of its dustbag once since purchase and was in identical condition when it was purchased from seller.

The seller replied (eventually) stating that the bag looked different and included SOME pics from her original website. Seller implying that bag had more damage than when she sold it.

My friend (luckily) had retained ALL of the original seller's pics and they show that the bags condition was identical to current condition. BUT no mention of scored label in sellers description

When magnified both my friends pics and the sellers pics show the bag is in the same condition.

That notwithstanding, my friend fully understands that after 18 months she is merely asking the seller for a buy back quote. When none is forthcoming (not even a reply) my friend emails and points out that the bag was sold with a scored label and is that the reason the seller does not want to buy it back.

Seller replies stating that she has no problem with selling scored labels and that it is NOT indicative of a a faulty bag.

Seller then states that she believes my friend is trying to pass off another bag and attempts to deny that the 2 sets of photos (hers and my friends) are of the same bag.

(My friend works for a digital agency and had both sets of photos professionally compared - there are 53 identical points ie it is the same Apple Phoebe in both sets of pics).

Seller continues that she is aware that this has been discussed on tPF and clearly threatens my friend against pursing the discussion further.

My friend replied giving seller the opportunity of buying the bag back - stating that scored labels are not permitted for resale.#

Seller has not even deigned to reply after 7 days.

Do you think it is appropriate/fair for me to name the Seller openly here given her willingness to sell on scored labelled bags.

In the interim please IM me for the name of the prof seller.

Mollie xx

Hi, maybe I'm really dumb at this or my englisch is not that well, but did she bought it in a actual store or online second hand? reason Im asking is that if the bag is in good condition and authentic why couldnt she sell it anyway?

What I mean is, what is a scolled label/bag? (would it be handy to know if you buy bags online/?

Last edited:
That isn't very professional of the seller. Would it be possible for them to be reported to Trading Standards, or Watchdog? I think they should also be reported to Mulberry, although I'm not too sure if that will come to anything, but Mulberry should at least be informed that these bags are hitting the resale market. If the seller has no issue with selling scored label bags, then s/he is willingly misleading buyers, but i don't think they should be named just yet (and it sounds like they'd kick up a serious fuss if they were). It's completely dishonest and who knows how many people are out there with these bags and have no idea what they mean? I hope your friend is ok and not stressing out about it.

If it were me, I'd take the hit and put it down to experience. The bag is the same one she has owned, used and liked for 18 months, why should something like a scored label bother her. Yes, originally, it may have been sold for scrap at £1, but when buying on eBay the market determines the value, not the actual cost of the bag.

If she can't see any faults, and after 18 months I imagine she would have found them by now, then I don't see a problem.

It's Mulberry's company policy to forbid the resale of scored bags - and that isn't enforacble by any law, trading standards or otherwise. If Mulberry have official affiliations with the seller then they may cut them, but if the seller just goes to look for second hand bags to sell then they are free to continue to do so.

It's a rubbish situation and the seller could have dealt with it more tactfully, but I think asking for it to be returned, even for a parial refund is stretching their good will.

If it were me, I'd take the hit and put it down to experience. The bag is the same one she has owned, used and liked for 18 months, why should something like a scored label bother her. Yes, originally, it may have been sold for scrap at £1, but when buying on eBay the market determines the value, not the actual cost of the bag.

If she can't see any faults, and after 18 months I imagine she would have found them by now, then I don't see a problem.

It's Mulberry's company policy to forbid the resale of scored bags - and that isn't enforacble by any law, trading standards or otherwise. If Mulberry have official affiliations with the seller then they may cut them, but if the seller just goes to look for second hand bags to sell then they are free to continue to do so.

It's a rubbish situation and the seller could have dealt with it more tactfully, but I think asking for it to be returned, even for a parial refund is stretching their good will.

i actually agree :nuts:

I also agree, Apple Darwin is a lovely colour and phoebe's in that colour don't come up for sale often. I would just enjoy the bag and not worry how much it originally entered the market place at.

I think any seller of a scored label bag should point it out to the buyer. But I don't think that it is wrong to sell these bags once the buyer is aware.
Everything on eBay is worth what people are willing to pay.
I think your friend should accept that in this instance she has a bag that she enjoyed using, and not let this discovery put her off using it. The seller appears unwilling to do anything about it now and I'd probably chalk this one down to experience.

I was on the fence about this until the response from the seller. It seems she knowingly sold the bag with this condition. The bag has little investment value, if the buyer wants to resell it down the road. I'm glad the buyer has enjoyed her bag but this situation would really piss me off. Even if I never wanted to resell...I would feel "duped"!

Status
Not open for further replies.