Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

Great find, @lalame Thank you
Consider this: according to YouTube, that interview was in 2016. MM was 35 yrs old. Harry is now 36.
In the video, she looks freer and much less burdened than now. Still there are the hand waving, the open shirt, the hair touching, the perpetual grin. A new thing is a teeth thing after she stops smiling - not exactly clear what she is doing. The lack of word salad really stands out. All that said, she has such positive, happy energy and does indeed seem charming and, yes, cute. I would have guessed her to be late 20s. The marriage seems to be dragging both H&M down. Sad to see that.

I think she's licking her teeth between takes (or what she thinks is between takes) to make sure she doesn't get lipstick on them. I do this too actually haha. You're so right about the positive energy. Sad.

I watched it twice just to be fair. Maybe she was just nervous, but I think she was acting... the little giggles, over the top facial expressions, overreactions to questions, quick and exaggerated hand movements. Am I being too critical?

I think she's a bubbly girl by nature... how wide she smiles in old photos from childhood makes me think so. Some of it is probably a bit for show since I mean she's getting interviewed... she's thinking she needs to be high-energy, funny, charming, etc. It looks BAD to be low-energy as an interviewee. But I think this is probably closer to her true personality than what we're seeing now.

I mentioned it before but she gives me geeky theater kid vibes, like Anne Hathaway and Chris Evans. Spazzy, giggly, and smiley.

ITA. I actually remember watching a Suits interview of her when she was just getting well-known where I thought she seemed so cute and charming. She actually has a personality here, I guess that was before she found the light and became humanity's savior.

Here's the vid:

Great find, @lalame Thank you
Consider this: according to YouTube, that interview was in 2016. MM was 35 yrs old. Harry is now 36.
In the video, she looks freer and much less burdened than now. Still there are the hand waving, the open shirt, the hair touching, the perpetual grin. A new thing is a teeth thing after she stops smiling - not exactly clear what she is doing. The lack of word salad really stands out. All that said, she has such positive, happy energy and does indeed seem charming and, yes, cute. I would have guessed her to be late 20s. The marriage seems to be dragging both H&M down. Sad to see that.
She seems to have always been a very ambitious person, but now she may have become a prisoner of her own uncontrolled greed.

Yep, I agree. Unless, QE becomes mentally incapacitated, she will keep on going. I don't think Charles will be skipped, but he may want to become a king for only a short period of time. After he gets his title, he may prefer to abdicate to Will. Will will be a good king imo. Hopefully, people like Lacey, MM...will not succeed in destroying his image.
Each king/queen takes an oath to serve the crown and the country and so, I don't see Charles ever abdicating. Just as it was with Edward VIII, that would be considered a dereliction of duty.

Each king/queen takes an oath to serve the crown and the country and so, I don't see Charles ever abdicating. Just as it was with Edward VIII, that would be considered a dereliction of duty.

Rules and the way royal families are seen have changed over the years. For example, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has handed very elegantly the throne to Prince Willem-Alexander.

Charles doesn't seem too conventional. I appreciate the fact that he became an advocate for organic agriculture several years before the rest of us. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to hand the throne to Will after a couple of years.

ITA. I actually remember watching a Suits interview of her when she was just getting well-known where I thought she seemed so cute and charming. She actually has a personality here, I guess that was before she found the light and became humanity's savior.

Here's the vid:

I actually feel like she was also playing a character in this clip - she's trying too hard. The girl just wants to be liked by EVERYONE.

Interesting info from the Saga of the Brothers:

MM-Sometime during that first summer and autumn together in 2016, Harry introduced his girlfriend to his father and his grandmother, who thoroughly approved. The problem was William. For his part, William was worried that his brother was going too fast in his courtship and he didn't shrink from saying so when Harry started talking about getting hitched. 'This all seems to be moving rather quickly,' William was said to have remarked to Harry doubtfully, on the testimony of more than one friend. 'Are you sure?'

Spencer-From time to time Diana's younger brother had played something of an honorary godfather to both boys in the years since the death of their mother, and their uncle agreed with William to see what he could do. The result of the Spencer intervention was an even more bitter explosion. Once again Harry refused to slow down.
This is a classic example of psychological reactance - the more you get disapproval from family whom know you the best, the more they're actually pushing you towards the other person.

Rules and the way royal families are seen have changed over the years. For example, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has handed very elegantly the throne to Prince Willem-Alexander.

Charles doesn't seem too conventional. I appreciate the fact that he became an advocate for organic agriculture several years before the rest of us. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to hand the throne to Will after a couple of years.
This sounds more like an old custom in the Netherlands. Queen Wilhelmina inherited the throne from her father, King William III who died in 1890. She abdicated in 1948 for her daughter Queen Juliana, who then abdicated in 1980 for Queen Beatrix. I don't foresee Willem-Alexander ever abdicating.

@Chanbal Love Queen B. Her hat game is strong! Willem and Max are superb. It’s been a smooth transition.
Money Laundering friend from 2013!?! My oh my. Wonder if she and he connected through SoHo?

In one photograph, which he repeatedly posted on social media, he can be seen hugging Meghan Markle at the Global Gift Gala in London in 2013, three years before she met Prince Harry.

bringing :popcorn: and :wine:

Last edited:
This is a classic example of psychological reactance - the more you get disapproval from family whom know you the best, the more they're actually pushing you towards the other person.

It is also the stuff of great literature. Shakespeare wrote the play inspired by Bandello’s novela from the 1500s. He was inspired by the Romans and other writers from long ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Bandello

There goes any credibility he had. I knew he was stretching the facts when he outright blamed William for Harry abusing alcohol and drugs and having to go to rehab. At least we now know his book is just another royal family hit piece.
I think it's still good as he lays out the happenings in detail so we can make our own conclusions. I think he actually makes William sound cool.

This sounds more like an old custom in the Netherlands. Queen Wilhelmina inherited the throne from her father, King William III who died in 1890. She abdicated in 1948 for her daughter Queen Juliana, who then abdicated in 1980 for Queen Beatrix. I don't foresee Willem-Alexander ever abdicating.

Honestly, I think the Benelux system is the best - the old king is around to give advice while the new queen puts her stamp on things.

I think that WA will follow his mother and grandmother's lead. He will let Catharina-Amelia have a semi-private family life - he will rule while she meets her love, raises her young family and decide how to focus her energy. Once she's established as a strong successor, then he'll gracefully step back and provide advice and backup.