Price vs. Practicality

I own 5 pochettes that are all LE or discontinued that I rarely use and definitely got for collection purposes. I try to use them when I go out for special occasions at least so they get some use, but I'm still happy I have them :smile:

I've always wanted an LV steamer, but I would use it as decor.

Maybe you could do that? That way it would be seen and loved every day!

That's exactly what I don't want it to become, although it would look lovely! And for that price, I could probably get a vintage Goyard trunk to use as a coffee table! :biggrin:

I love their luggage, but the cost... not so much. If you don't travel at all, there is no point in spending that much (although it is a great collectible!). I personally don't think I would ever use any expensive luggage in traveling because 1) airports aren't the safest sometimes... baggage claims especially. 2) the luggage gets very dinged up. if you're putting a lot in the luggage, the heavier it will be, the heavier to carry around, the more often you're going to drop it down to relieve yourself form the weight.

I'd say as a collectible the luggage is great, and if you have the money, go for it... but for traveling... if you really want to be carefree and not worry about getting your $4000 suitcase ruined, I would say it's not a wise choice.

That's true, and that's why I would never purchase such expensive luggage which you are forced to check in (like their rolling luggage)! The Steamer is the correct size to be carried on I think? So that way, it can stay with me in the cabin and doesn't have to go through baggage handling! ;D

But then again, I don't want it rolling around in the overhead compartment... Same with a Goyard I am dead set on purchasing...

The bags i have purchased, i do use them a lot. I try to buy practical items at the moment, as i do not have a lot of extra cash. I have to save for the items i buy.

I do love LV luggage and always have (for years!!!), however right now i would buy handbags that i would use on a day to day basis as i do not travel as much. Thou, I still have LV luggage on my wish list :smile:

I've bought a lot of Vernis, because I just LOVE Vernis. Then I realized that I didn't like the bag for whatever reason and I finally sold them and now my purchases are practical only - I only buy what I know I will use.

The Steamer is yummy. That is way down on my list, but with the sole intention of using it as decor in the house. Of course, I'd use it to store something or if I needed it to travel, but it will not be tucked away in a closet. GL deciding.

It is alot of money for something you'll use once or twice a year... BUT... you only live once and if it makes you happy and you can spare the cost.. I say go for it!!

Like Alexis168 we've all prob done the same thing! I got the gold miroir coin purse cos it looks pretty.. I don't use it as a coin purse, and have only used it as a bag charm twice.. now it just hangs from my dresser for me to look at and I smile everytime I see it, so in my mind it is worth it!

Good luck deciding!! ;)

Thanks guys for your replies! But the purpose of this thread wasn't to comment on the Steamer, but I wanted to find out about items that you have bought purely for aesthetics, and you knew that you would never use it and how you justified your purchase!

My gold Suhali Le Fabuleux was a definite "impractical" buy. I LOVE her, but she doesn't get used very often. I've never used it as an every day bag; I have a gold Miu Miu hobo/tote for that. I mostly use it when I go out in the evening, or when I go to LV parties.

Practicality is an important factor in our choices of bags and such, but has there been an instance where you purchased a bag solely for aesthetics?

I'd always adored the Monogram Canvas Steamer, and once the Macassar range introduced the steamer, I fell in love all over again. $4000+ for something I truly love is worth it, but I can just see it sitting in my closet, not getting used.

So, any impractical bags you guys have ever purchased and why? Or simply put, have you bought any bag that you knew that you would never ever take out?