Price of your LV..is it a secret?

I get so much grief from my friends and family about how much I spend on Louis Vuitton!

I never lie about the price, but I don't tell anyone unless they ask.

Someone who appreciates Louis Vuitton wouldn't need to ask, they'd know already! They'd also understand that its completely worth it!

My fiancee has learnt to understand how much LV means to me! wheres other friends and family will never understand spending so much money on handbags and luggage!

My dog carrier, dog lead and dog collar cost more than my dog, which no-one understands!!

LV_addict said:
Yes, it's a secret. I feel that people who know LV would know the price.:graucho:
I agree with that! I will usually say it was a gift or I don't remember (like I got the bag years ago or something). I have NO reason to tell anyone what I paid for my bag:upsidedown: And it's funny, my husband doesn't want to know, he knows my max $$ for the most part but he's told me he would rather not know the exact price, though he has to have a good idea because he does buy me LV bags for gifts.....I guess this works better for other brands:angel:

gemski107 said:
I get so much grief from my friends and family about how much I spend on Louis Vuitton!

I never lie about the price, but I don't tell anyone unless they ask.

Someone who appreciates Louis Vuitton wouldn't need to ask, they'd know already! They'd also understand that its completely worth it!

My fiancee has learnt to understand how much LV means to me! wheres other friends and family will never understand spending so much money on handbags and luggage!

My dog carrier, dog lead and dog collar cost more than my dog, which no-one understands!!
I think that's totally acceptable for the dog, you can't REALLY put a price on your pet (regardless of what they actually cost) IMO they are priceless anyway, I guess only people with dogs (aka dog children) would feel us on that.....If I could find an LV harness for my baby I would get it, I'm not allowed to walk her on a collar....AND she won't stay in the bag for me right now so it's a waste for me to buy the carrier.....if she would use it though it would be SO worth it, you're lucky!!!

twiggers said:
A lot of times I'll tell them....hey they may be interested in it and are thinking of buying one but don't know the price (especially discontinued bags). I really don't care what anyone thinks...whether I spent too much or not...I mean I'm not trying to show off or anything...they asked.

Same here. I was at the Chanel Cosmetic counter the other day and the SA whispered as she asked. I told her. Then she followed up with that is not bad because I have been looking for one in that price range. She was too shamed to actually go in a Chanel boutique and ask. See I feel we are spoiled here at PF:love: We are so close knit, that we can just ask. And no one will think any different.

I've only been asked once, while I was having lunch last weekend with my fiance & son and two close guy friends. One of my guy friends was a pimp in a past life, I'm sure of it - and the other guy is very frugal, so the conversation was kind of entertaining:

Mr. Pimp: Is that real? (Pointing to my cerises pochette)
Me: Yes.
Mr. Pimp: Wow! Can I see?
(Since his admiration was truly genuine, I smiled and handed him the pochette, and pointed out the Koala agenda inside)
Mr. Frugal: Real what?
Mr. Pimp: Real LOUIS! How much did it cost?
Me: Uh...isn't it tacky to talk about these things?
Fiance: No, just tell him.
Son: Tell him!
Me: Around $350 for that, and about the same for the agenda.
Mr. Frugal: WHAT??? WHY???
Mr. Pimp: Because it's LOUIS! It's an icon. It's a legend. Like Tiffany, or Cartier! Haven't you ever been to Tiffany?
Mr. Frugal: I've never been there. It's all overpriced. Ridiculous.
Son: Isn't that a fake over there? (pointing to a girl with a fake pochette)
Me: That's my boy!

It turned out OK, but I still felt a little uncomfortable about it. I was relieved that I'd left the Tulum in the car...my fiance was with me when I got it, but otherwise NObody needs to know that price of that!

If someone asks, I respond with, "Why do you ask?" then I assess their response and give an answer accordingly.

1) Nice and genuinely curious: "$____, from the LV boutique in _____. Here's the name of my SA!"
2) Someone who obviously knows nothing about fashion but is nice anyway: "A lot, but it was worth every penny."
3) Snarky person: "Probably more than you're willing to pay. Ever."
4) Mean person: "This costs more than your car."

^LOL

I never really get asked by strangers. If I did I think it would depend on the person. If they were carrying a LV or some other designer bag I would probably tell them the price. If not I would probably just say "a lot". That's what I used to tell my co-workers too, they knew that my bags were expensive and were just being nosy so I would be vague in my answer. My parents have a good idea of what LV costs, so they don't ask anymore.

Happend yesturday at school with my Pionnier backpack, she asked me how much it was, we were in groups so everyone looked and I don't mind the staring and since she has a fake chanel cambon and my school practically breeds them there, I said $1300 and they were all blown away lol!

I tell them bcs if they ask - they probably really like the bag and want one so if I don't tell them and they go out hunting and find out its 2000 they may have all their hopes shattered...

If they ask in a rude or unfriendly way I just say "ah a bit of money"... :P

This is such a rude question to ask in general. I don't know about you guys, but I was taught growing up that it's horrible manners to ask anyone what anything cost - period.

I guess times have changed! I certainly don't mind discussing prices on tPF...and most of us are resourceful people so it's easy to go to a website and look it up yourself.

My family and friends never ask (but I'm sure they wonder!). If a stranger ever asked me, I'd just smile and say "a lot...and worth every penny."

my stock responses are as follows:

1) alot
then if they keep pressing,
2) I feel its extremely tacky to say out loud. are you thinking about buying one?
if they say yes, then I will just give them the price range of all LVs, by saying something like,
3) "a basic style will run you anywhere from $600 to $3000". More if its a limited edition.
if they still want to know how much mine wasjust for the sake of being nosy, I'd have to say,
4) now you're just being nosy and rude.

I usually say "Hmm.. I don't remember exactly. Why are you asking?". If it is genuine interest, I point them to eluxury.com. If it is nosiness, they don't really have a comeback.

Just smile, smile, smile at all the petty people....

suedoc said:
I usually say "Hmm.. I don't remember exactly. Why are you asking?". If it is genuine interest, I point them to eluxury.com. If it is nosiness, they don't really have a comeback.

Just smile, smile, smile at all the petty people....

:nuts: :yes: Thats the one Ive been looking for....thank you for sharing. That is exactly what I am going to say next time. I luv luv the fact that you asked back why? Now Why didnt I think of that.

I luv luv you guys.....:tender:

Suedoc-- I agree with Bagluv!!! GREAT answer!!!!!

People are just rude in general and ask this question about EVERYTHING!! Example: my fiancee just bought a new truck last week. People will NOT stop asking him how much he paid for it!!! This totally suprised me b/c I thought that it was maybe a "woman" thing to ask the price of something.

It is just SO RUDE!! Even if they are asking b/c they want to buy it for themselves, there is a thing called the INTERNET that I think everyone is somewhat comfortable using. Even if you don't know the name of the bag that you want, you can get the name and phone # of a store that carries the bag and ask them! Argh it is just SUCH as uncomfortable situation to be put in when someone asks:sad:

PS--if someone does ask how much your bag costs, answer them and then sweetly ask when their baby is due :P

KIDDING:smile: But that would be soooo funny!!