Pregnant 14-year-old says it's 'fashionable'

I can understand in some parts of the world people have to mature faster, and the age of 14 is considered an adult. My grandma had her first kid at age 16 in an arranged marriage. The child was planned, and provided for in terms of shelter, resources, schooling, food, etc. Her schooling finished at the age of 9 (she can't read or write only learned household chore) and to that extent, as soon as her education was complete, she was seen as an adult and fit to be married off.

However, in western cultures, we would generally consider 14 to still be a child. Maturity levels of course vary from person to person, but most expect their pre-teens to still be innocent and dependents themselves. I don't meet too many 14-year olds who are financially secure, have a place of their own, have finished high school, and are in a loving long-term relationship with the father. To base a pregnancy on being "fashionable" instead of wanting a child to love and treasure, that speaks volumes about the immaturity level.

WOW! Where do I even start? 14 & pregnant & it's fashionable?

CLEARLY, her parents did NOT due a good job of raising her. This is disgusting & I believe the parents are to blame. Just MHO.

Thats sad in my eyes. 14 is just too young! I'm 22 and I wish I would have waited. As much as I love my kids I still think about what ifs and look what I could be doing.

I've already worn the letters off my keyboard on another "problem pregnancy" thread, I am not even going to start on this one.

You can go read the other one, if you are really, really into reading, because you know I am Living with Brevity Impairment and all, and there isn't much I've said on that one that would be too different from what I would say on this one, so as a special treat for all tPFers, I'm not even going to start!

blahblah1.gif

I stopped reading all the posts after awhile. Pathetic. However, what do you expect when a county rewards them with paid houseing, paid schooling, free daycare and MANY other things that the would NOT receive if they stayed in school, got an education, got married and then had a child. For many girls, this is their ticket to freedom, a better life and "it's more fun then being in school or having to go to work" (yes, I HAVE heard it said). Our whole family is in the UK and many work in the field of Social Work/Nursing. It makes them sick.