Pregnant 14-year-old says it's 'fashionable'

OMG! Girls these days think having kids are fashionable? They need to watch a few rotten kids for a few hours and see just what it is like being a mom. Its fun but it also has it's challenges that are really hard to handle as a kid themselves.

umm... I think the parents and school environment are the major factors in shaping how a child thinks. I'm not exactly blaming them, but I think many of them are too "loose" or even if they do try to teach children about sex, they're doing it in an inefficient way. Eg. A parent stresses that sex is a sin, is bad, evil...etc. is definitely not the the right approach because the main method (abstinence-only) used here is fear. I guess I'm more toward the liberal feminist approach in that schools should teach children abstinence-plus, ie being responsible for one's actions. Sex is alright, but make sure that you're doing it for YOU, not following a trend, have well thought over everything, use protection...etc

Its beyond me how young girls like herself can get this mind-set that its 'fashionable'? Have they not been introduced to hangbags, jewellery, fashion etc... things that ARE actually FASHION items? This is very shocking, and does make a statement about what society has become and the type of teen-culture that some girls have been exposed to. I suppose there are many other factors that contribute to the statistics, but i'm very disgusted to see this. How very sad.

At that age people can be silly and not think things through properly. A few of my peers from high school had kids when they were that young. I don't think they really intended it to happen, but now their kids are basically their lives. Now, they are parents who are barely out of childhood themselves and they spent the last few years of their childhood looking after a baby or two when they could have been setting themselves up for a career or something (perhaps just enjoying a lack of responsibility?) Once you've got a kid you can't undo it.

His wife, Kerry, 41, insisted she 'couldn't have done more' to educate her daughter about the risks of under age sex. She said: "No-one was to blame for her getting pregnant apart from herself. She was defiant.

Right, well her mother could have educated her daughter about birth control... that may have done the trick. Sex education, in part, is about teaching young people how to use birth control correctly and responsibly, in addition to teaching the importance respecting oneself when choosing to have sex.