Prada Bags: Now Made in China for Italian Made Prices."

but that means not all suede bags are made in china..

You are correct: not all bags with the suede lining are Made in China. Some are made it Italy, but some are also made in Romania. I found out yesterday from a reliable source that Prada has/had a list at one time of where each of their bags were made. Love to get my hot hands on that one.

The only way to know what we're getting in terms of provenance is to actually pull out the lining of the inside zippered pocket and have a look at the tag. Obviously those of us that do our shopping online don't have that luxury...

Hi Prada Psycho - it's not just Prada who are doing this. I know more about Mulberry bags but they are now manufacturing in Turkey, China and Spain. It's all done for reasons of cost. When it comes to resale the bags with a "Made in England" tag are much more sought after.

A good many of the Miu Miu bags have been manufactured in Turkey for several years now, but Miu Miu is a much less expensive line than Prada proper (well, it used to be--I haven't priced them lately). The problem I have with Prada doing this is two fold: The incredible subterfuge that they've gone to hide this from its customers and the fact that THEY are saving a shyteload of money on their manufacturing costs, but they clearly aren't passing that along to their customers. Dishonest business practices don't sit well with me where my money is concerned. :mad:

It takes a lot more than a PRADA label stuck on a bag to make it a Prada bag in my mind. Being made anywhere except Italy cheapens it. Since they're doing this, the logos should be changed from:

PRADA
MILANO

to

PRADA
SHANGHAI

It certainly would be more honest. :true:

Reactions: Bearberry
There's been a similiar discussion on the Mulberry thread about this, after Mulberry said that they would not be siting a second factory in the UK. Many of Mulberry's bags are now made abroad at cheaper locations, but the price to the consumer remains the same (although the wages to the worker who makes the bag is less than Mulberry will pay their UK staff). It's all being done in the name of profit, and with globalisation a company can manufacture in a cheaper cost-base country and ship anywhere in the world.
I don't like it anymore than you do and when I saw your thread, the first thing I did was check my new bag for the Made In Label. If it had been "Made in China" - I would have been disappointed. I can go to any high street store for a bag made in China and it's not what I want when I spend a significant amount of money on a bag. That is for two reasons - not just a question over quality & feeling ripped off, but I have issues with how China treats it's citizens.

Reactions: anasanfran
If you go to Pradagroup.com and go through the years of innovation and when you come to 2010 it says they have a "made in____" line where bags have been manufactured in different countries mainly China. And jute sandals manufactured in India bacause Jute is a famous to that region.So was that a disclaimer?

If you go to Pradagroup.com and go through the years of innovation and when you come to 2010 it says they have a "made in____" line where bags have been manufactured in different countries mainly China. And jute sandals manufactured in India bacause Jute is a famous to that region.So was that a disclaimer?

Sounds more like a cop out when you read their latest profit margins.

Prada Group Press Release: September 17, 2010 :wtf:

By the by, I didn't see anything that specifically said that China was manufacturing bags, just that Prada has opened new boutiques in China. Can you post that here?

Oh dear - it's not just suede and it's not just China - see this one which I've taken from a poster at the AT forum. And I'm with Lola73 - I won't buy ANYTHING made in China. It's my personal protest and boycott because of their appalling human rights record.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 10,896
Oh dear - it's not just suede and it's not just China - see this one which I've taken from a poster at the AT forum. And I'm with Lola73 - I won't buy ANYTHING made in China. It's my personal protest and boycott because of their appalling human rights record.

Which post was this? I didn't see it on a quick glance and it's too much to go back and forth between the auctions. I knew MM was made in Turkey, but I didn't know they'd snuck Prada over there, too.

Think I'll stick with the older bags. At least I know THEY were made in Italy.

turkey isn't the same for me like china.
the most of the jeans we all are wearing are made in turkey. they have the best substances.

personally I don't find it that bad that I would change the name to shangai. because the brand prada is italian not the production.

@ lola73
thanks a lot for your pics. I have to take a second look at my bag, I don't find the made in tag yet.

Which post was this? I didn't see it on a quick glance and it's too much to go back and forth between the auctions. I knew MM was made in Turkey, but I didn't know they'd snuck Prada over there, too.

Think I'll stick with the older bags. At least I know THEY were made in Italy.

Post #4076

I have some pictures of my Calf leather BN1904 with suede lining, Im trying to put pictures of it but its not allowing me. Inside says Made in China and the # is 208. It was purchased 1 month ago from Space in Woodbury Commons in NY. Please keep me updated of the findings as Im curious. Also if you need to see pictures help me how to put up or I can email the pics.

Same! Except mine's from the Space in CA (Cabazon outlet).

this is actually very interesting to me. i purchased my first (and last) prada on Sunday. to see the entire story click here http://forum.purseblog.com/prada/please-help-my-first-prada-has-faulty-strap-670911.html

now it didnt have suede lining and the tag said made in italy but after 2 of them were faulty im starting to wonder if they really were made in italy or maby they were made in China with an Italy tag?? i gave the bags back and took my money and im sorry i didnt take more pics of the bags first. but it would make a lot more sence to me if the bag was made in china casue the tag was also hidden very well in the bottom of the pocket.

so strange imo

Seems as though..... Check this out:

attachment.php

View attachment 1339309View attachment 1339310View attachment 1339311View attachment 1339312

That's right, ladies and gents! Prada has pulled another fast one on us. First the Pleather Fiasco, now they are selling the couture line Prada (with couture line Prada price tags) and they are being manufactured in CHINA. :mad:

This is going to make reselling Prada bags a nightmare! Can you imagine someone getting a real Prada with a "Made in China" tag so carefully hidden away. Can you say "Paypal Dispute"??

We all know the Linea Rossa line is Made in China, but it's priced accordingly. I have nothing against items made in China and own my share, but when Prada is selling "Made in Italy" bags at "Made in Italy" prices and they are being manufactured for next to nothing because of the low labor costs in China?

Sorry, folks. I'm done with Prada. This is completely unacceptable. I'm sick of this. It's deceptive as hell and I won't be supporting it any longer.

but that means not all suede bags are made in china.
I don't think my bag is made in china because I do not have that made in china tag in my bag. so it seems like they put the tag in all bags which are made in china.
it's bad enough prada made some bags in china though ..

A good many of the Miu Miu bags have been manufactured in Turkey for several years now, but Miu Miu is a much less expensive line than Prada proper (well, it used to be--I haven't priced them lately). The problem I have with Prada doing this is two fold: The incredible subterfuge that they've gone to hide this from its customers and the fact that THEY are saving a shyteload of money on their manufacturing costs, but they clearly aren't passing that along to their customers. Dishonest business practices don't sit well with me where my money is concerned. :mad:

It takes a lot more than a PRADA label stuck on a bag to make it a Prada bag in my mind. Being made anywhere except Italy cheapens it. Since they're doing this, the logos should be changed from:

PRADA
MILANO

to

PRADA
SHANGHAI

It certainly would be more honest. :true:

this is actually very interesting to me. i purchased my first (and last) prada on Sunday. to see the entire story click here http://forum.purseblog.com/prada/please-help-my-first-prada-has-faulty-strap-670911.html

now it didnt have suede lining and the tag said made in italy but after 2 of them were faulty im starting to wonder if they really were made in italy or maby they were made in China with an Italy tag?? i gave the bags back and took my money and im sorry i didnt take more pics of the bags first. but it would make a lot more sence to me if the bag was made in china casue the tag was also hidden very well in the bottom of the pocket.

so strange imo

If you laid eyes on a tag that said "Made in Italy" it was definitely made in Italy. The rules of international commerce (as I understand them, anyway) require placing the country of manufacture tags in everything now. Doesn't matter what the item is or the company.

Also, it's not just the suede lined bags. Some of them are made in Italy. The only way anyone can tell with 100% certainty is to look for the "Made in [wherever]" tag. Don't assume because it says "Prada Milano" on either the outside or inside metal/leather tags that it's made in Italy.

Good example: I recently ordered a Lancel bag. Clearly stamped "Lancel Paris" on the outside label and inside label. All the information that came with it talked about how wonderful Paris was and how special this French company is. I pull the lining out, lo and behold: MADE IN CHINA. I did some research on that one and sure enough, this dyed in the wool French company has been farming out their bags for manufacture to China the past several years.

I'm done with the whole thing. I've sold all but two of my older leather Pradas and my three nylon Pradas. The only new bags I'm buying now are Cole Haan, Michael Kors and bags that I know for fact are made in China or Indonesia, etc without having to rifle through the bag looking for "made in" tags. They are also priced accordingly. This is what bites about Prada sneaking the Made in China bags into their higher end bags: the prices are no different than the bags made in Italy. If I buy an Italian bag, by gawd, I want it MADE in Italy. If it's a French bag, I want it MADE in France.

Rant over.....