Posting with a degree of hesitation but ... here goes+

I had the reverse outcome. I had a fabric coach that completely fell apart on me in about a year. (Bought in 2009 or 2010) I've had one of my speedy for almost 7 years and it looks amazing. It has seen me thru my mid 20's into my early 30s and I plan on being 90 and still carry one. (Hopefully the ones I own now) Part of the reason I am drawn to the speedy is the simplicity and what little leather there is on it. I have 2 speedies (30 mono & DE) and am planning on getting a 30 in DA before the redesign so I am a bit of a speedy lover.

As another poster said, it's a symbol of how hard I worked to get where I am right now. Each luxury item I buy is also reward to myself for working hard and my husband agrees. Its not about the price or prestige but like what everybody else have said, it's because you love it and you're happy to have it. In the end if you fell out of love on these so called luxury bags, you can always sell them and at leadt get some money out of it, unlike other less expensive bags like coach.

i carry or wear what i like it's really that simple. You could do the math on beauty salons, nail salons, clothes, shoes ect. Heck you could do the math on a lot of things. Handbags are a want not a need as so are the other things i mentioned above. Are any of these things worth the money? Prestige? My car, my house, where i live nor the type of bag i carry make me as a person. And if for some twisted reason i began to think so it would be time for a reality check which my dh would gladly do. When you get to a certain age you just don't give a darn what people think. If you have to over analyze it - it's probably not for you. We can't justify half the things we as people spend money on.

The question is are designer bags worth it to you? It's a matter of preference my dear.

Be blessed monikki

+1

I busted my behind in school for many years, undergrad and grad, through professional exams and field studies to get to where I am and can proudly afford LV's. They are a symbol to me of how far I have come and brings me great joy to wear them. Wear what you are attracted to. Simple as that....
This!! Im in school now and even though I do indulge and treat myself after every semester. I know that in the future when all is said and done, I won't have any doubts about buy LV, chanel, coach or whatever, because i know I busted my behind and earned it. I will agree with the OP sometimes when I get something new, especially from LV or chanel, it takes me a little while to be comfortable enough to use, because Im afraid of ruining it, but once I finally use it, its hard to get me to switch to anything else!

I had the reverse outcome. I had a fabric coach that completely fell apart on me in about a year. (Bought in 2009 or 2010) I've had one of my speedy for almost 7 years and it looks amazing. It has seen me thru my mid 20's into my early 30s and I plan on being 90 and still carry one. (Hopefully the ones I own now) Part of the reason I am drawn to the speedy is the simplicity and what little leather there is on it. I have 2 speedies (30 mono & DE) and am planning on getting a 30 in DA before the redesign so I am a bit of a speedy lover.
I will say their fabric bags aren't crafted that well, but I don't believe any fabric bags are really. I've always thought they fall apart too easy, from any brand. That being said, my mom has a gorgeous coach bag thats 40 something years old and it looks magnificent. As much as I love my LV and chanel I have recently been getting back into Coach, their new designs are amazing. I'm sure I also think that because their new creative director did design for LV at one point lol.

Just honestly read this and found the strength to post that the only people that care about what bag you carry beyond yourself does not matter. If you carry lv or Hermes, you are not a better person than anyone who carries coach or bcbg. It's all you and your style. If you are happy and carry what you love that's all that matters.

I totally agree with you dear! :smile:

this!! Im in school now and even though i do indulge and treat myself after every semester. I know that in the future when all is said and done, i won't have any doubts about buy lv, chanel, coach or whatever, because i know i busted my behind and earned it. I will agree with the op sometimes when i get something new, especially from lv or chanel, it takes me a little while to be comfortable enough to use, because im afraid of ruining it, but once i finally use it, its hard to get me to switch to anything else!

+1

You can/could get your LV repaired.. Coach doesn't offer repairs in my area- I should add. My mom had a bag for a year and the handles are falling apart badly. They wouldn't repair it!!!!! LV has been an icon for so many years...the quality and details don't compare. I've had both...I speak from experience. It's whatever floats your boat but I'm def now LVer at heart. I think all my LVs are worth every penny.

Last edited:
I busted my behind in school for many years, undergrad and grad, through professional exams and field studies to get to where I am and can proudly afford LV's. They are a symbol to me of how far I have come and brings me great joy to wear them. Wear what you are attracted to. Simple as that....
Same for me too.I have run my own business for the last 34 years & I work very hard for my money.I like to reward myself with the finer things in life.Designer bags are one way of saying "I've made it!" :biggrin:

Reactions: tinybutterfly
The older LVs up until around the mid 90s (real brass, thicker canvas) are worth it - especially since they cost half their modern counterparts, or even less.

The rest? Case by case, IMHO. And the cost-per-wear is a factor indeed. Like spending, say, 3K on an evening bag you know you´ll wear maybe twice a year, when you could spend half that amount in two or three bags you´ll rotate regularly.

Ultimately, if it´s YOUR money and YOU are going to wear it, you can give yourself permission to go for the best you want and can reasonably afford without going into debt or short-changing important aspects in your life (like doing so many overtime hours you forgo sleep for weeks just to afford a certain bag, for instance!).

You can/could get your LV repaired.. Coach doesn't offer repairs. LV has been an icon for so many years...the quality and details don't compare. I've had both...I speak from experience. It's whatever floats your boat but I'm def now LVer at heart. I think all my LVs are worth every penny.
Actually Coach has a fabulous repair service, and to me personally one of the best and they dont charge you at all.