Posting with a degree of hesitation but ... here goes+

2 disparate questions :smile:

1. Why is the Speedy considered a classic? Is it because a fashion icon (Audrey Hepburn - grace personified!) used it extensively?

2. Objectively speaking, are designer handbags worth the $$$? A bit of math:
My Coach shopper (leather, non-logo) cost me $275 or so (those $100 off coupons do come in handy!!). I used the Coach almost daily. At around the 2 year mark it started showing signs of wear. Lets say I used it for 300 days per year. That means I used it for 600 days in 2 years. Hence Cost / use = $275/600 which is under 50 cents / day

I bought my Trevi PM for around $2100 about 2 years ago. Didn't use it initially. Started using it this year, and I have used it extensively for the past 3 months (lets say 100 days). It is showing signs of wear (on the leather). Assuming I can sell it for 70% of what I bought it for (approx. $1500), it means the bag cost $600 for 100 days of use = $6 per day.

The math is not really working out :smile: The "prestige factor" is also not in evidence - neither my LV nor my Coach has elicited any favorable (or unfavorable) comment(s). Hence my question - are designer handbags worth the $$$?

I buy my LV preloved (ofcourse authenticated on TPF) so my cost per day is much less:smile: I feel I really like carrying my LV more than my coach (after selling most I still have 3 coach bags) and thus to me the "carrying per day" is far more valuable with my LV.. I hope this makes sense.

As far as what makes the speedy a classic... To me, a classic, is something that doesn't go out of style and looks good in any era...

Not in my area. My mom has a bag and the handles are falling apart so bad. They wouldn't repair it. Just speaking from experience. To each their own :smile: I'm glad you had a good experience with their repair services.
oh I'm so sorry that happened! I know that every once in awhile and I mean once in awhile, they will tell you its wear and tear and decline to send it in, but I know the bag has to be literally in pieces, but like I said I'm sorry that happened!

I carry or wear what I like it's really that simple. You could do the math on beauty salons, nail salons, clothes, shoes ect. Heck you could do the math on a lot of things. Handbags are a want not a need as so are the other things I mentioned above. Are any of these things worth the money? Prestige? My car, my house, where I live nor the type of bag I carry make me as a person. And IF for some twisted reason I began to think so it would be time for a reality check which my DH would gladly do. When you get to a certain age you just don't give a darn what people think. If you have to over analyze it - it's probably not for you. We can't justify half the things we as people spend money on.

The question is are designer bags worth it to you? It's a matter of preference my dear.

Be Blessed MoNikki

If it's not worth the money for you, don't buy LV. Simple. No needs maths for that.
+1 :tup: :woohoo:

Why do new users with very little posts always try to stir the pot? These are LUXURY items. By their name alone they are indulgences, I don't understand the logic in trying to breakdown the price and/or justify an indulgence.

And even with OP's math, she came to the conclusion that the bag costs $6/day to own, thus far... if she did the "math" for the entire time she owned the bag, it would be much less.

Not in my area. My mom has a bag and the handles are falling apart so bad. They wouldn't repair it. Just speaking from experience. To each their own :smile: I'm glad you had a good experience with their repair services.

Hmmm- that's really strange. They ship the bag out for repairs. I had repairs done when I lived in NY and also here in FL. And usually the SA doesn't decide if it could be repaired. Can you go to a different Coach store? Or talk to a different SA?

I pretty much agree with everyone here. It is personal preference! But imagine thinking (or using that calculation) for everyday life. Why would people buy a mercedes when they can drive a kia? Why go to starbucks when you can make your own coffee? Wear expensive clothes instead of shopping at a goodwill? etc...

Personally if I thought about how much it costs me a day to use something it would drive me insane. I love LV because they stand the test of time and they make me happy. I drive a hyundai because I absolutely love it, even though I could afford a BMW. If you can afford something without being detrimental to your financial future you should do it... but not at the risk of driving yourself loco about how much a day its costs you!

Hi Calipursegal

I am not trying to "stir the pot". Also, I have not seen any new user/member "stir the pot".

As for luxury / indulgence items - there are enough posts here (and elsewhere on the internet) that justify the cost of luxury goods based on the fact that they are "investment pieces". Anytime a material possession is classified as an investment, the question of Return on Investment rears it's head. That is what prompted my train of thought and the math.

Also I did post that the cost/use was based on me selling the bag at this point. If I sold it later, it would fetch less money (presumably due to more wear and tear) and the cost / wear would be different.

+1 :tup: :woohoo:

Why do new users with very little posts always try to stir the pot? These are LUXURY items. By their name alone they are indulgences, I don't understand the logic in trying to breakdown the price and/or justify an indulgence.

And even with OP's math, she came to the conclusion that the bag costs $6/day to own, thus far... if she did the "math" for the entire time she owned the bag, it would be much less.

You are on the LV forum asking this question?? And comparing Coach?? Now now I am not downing Coach in any way as I used to be a huge Coach girl and I still love Coach bags (I love handbags in general). My preference has changed and I have said this before and will say it again there is no comparison between the two.

I have come to the conclusion these are young people who start these threads. SMH

Last edited:
Mathematically no, but $6/day doesn't sound so bad.

I just started my collection last year, I had/have the same questions as you do. I jumped from $80 bags to $2000+ bags, there's nothing in between. I never had the coach/mk phrase, I jumped from non-designer bags to Louis Vuitton directly~!

And sure, there's a big difference in quality, my LV bags are just so luxurious I cannot keep my eyes/hands off them, but I used each of my $80 bags for 2+ years, nothing happened to them? It looks older sure, but it can still function pretty well, nothing's torn apart?

So there must be some sentimental values to these designer bags, the quality may be 2 times better, but the price is 20+ times higher. And that doesn't make sense to a LOT of people. So if you argue from this perspective, no, it doesn't worth it.

My handbags make me happy/ feel they are worth the price, 50% because they are eye candies, I'm just happy to own pretty things. 25% because they do represent a higher prestige, same as cars, watches, let's be honest, people do treat people differently because of their appearance, and we DO care what other people think of us. And the last 25% is just because I can afford them, I've grown a very expensive taste over the years, I started to appreciate things I could not appreciate before, so the cost of happiness/satisfaction grows with my taste, hopefully my financials can grow along with it, lol

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

Last edited:
2 disparate questions :smile:

1. Why is the Speedy considered a classic? Is it because a fashion icon (Audrey Hepburn - grace personified!) used it extensively?

2. Objectively speaking, are designer handbags worth the $$$? A bit of math:
My Coach shopper (leather, non-logo) cost me $275 or so (those $100 off coupons do come in handy!!). I used the Coach almost daily. At around the 2 year mark it started showing signs of wear. Lets say I used it for 300 days per year. That means I used it for 600 days in 2 years. Hence Cost / use = $275/600 which is under 50 cents / day

I bought my Trevi PM for around $2100 about 2 years ago. Didn't use it initially. Started using it this year, and I have used it extensively for the past 3 months (lets say 100 days). It is showing signs of wear (on the leather). Assuming I can sell it for 70% of what I bought it for (approx. $1500), it means the bag cost $600 for 100 days of use = $6 per day.

The math is not really working out :smile: The "prestige factor" is also not in evidence - neither my LV nor my Coach has elicited any favorable (or unfavorable) comment(s). Hence my question - are designer handbags worth the $$$?
I tried to carry other brand bag but nothing makes me really happy comparing to LVs, I will let my LV take break while I carry other brand but LVs are the only bags making me happy. I like how you calculate the money vs usage, I lost quite a bit when I saw your calculation because there are some pieces I just don't use enough and never going to apart with them. Anyway, you are the only person who decide the bag is worth or not, the end of the day, your happiness is the most important thing.

For me personally, I don't think of my bags as "Is it worth it?." Its more like this is what I love and I appreciate it for what it is... and it makes me happy! So yea, to me LVs are worth it. It is kind of the same way I think when I buy a piece of artwork.

ITA! I was thinking the same thing about art. A lot of people buy art with the expectation it will appreciate and be worth a lot of $ in the future. But that shouldn't be the motivator because there are no guarantees. Folks should just focus on what they enjoy and invest in that. :tup:

Last edited:
Hi Calipursegal

I am not trying to "stir the pot". Also, I have not seen any new user/member "stir the pot".

As for luxury / indulgence items - there are enough posts here (and elsewhere on the internet) that justify the cost of luxury goods based on the fact that they are "investment pieces". Anytime a material possession is classified as an investment, the question of Return on Investment rears it's head. That is what prompted my train of thought and the math.

Also I did post that the cost/use was based on me selling the bag at this point. If I sold it later, it would fetch less money (presumably due to more wear and tear) and the cost / wear would be different.
I've been on the site since 2010, since you just joined a few months ago, trust me when I say in the years I've been on TPF, new users frequently come out the gate with questions like: "Is LV tacky, ugly, worth-it, overrated, ubiquitous, and etc."

Calling a purse an investment piece is totally subjective, you shouldn't base your purchases on what others say. A handbag, like a car, is a depreciating asset, which in itself is a bad investment if purchased new. LV could be considered a "better" investment in that the prices are steady increasing, so it is possible to get a fair return if you keep the bag (in good condition) through multiple increases. My speedy 30 was $690, now they're $980, it still looks new so if I cared to sell it's possible I could break even or take a small loss.

But again this is for those trying to justify their purchases instead of just enjoying them. Which brings me back to my point: this doesn't make much since. These are luxury items, if you consider them anything more than a treat, then you should probably be spending your money on things you deem more reasonable. Also, buying pre-LVoed is a great alternative for the price/investment conscience.

If you have to justify a luxury purchase, it might not be right for you. Not directed necessarily at you OP, this is to anyone.

And that's all I have to say about that. -Forrest Gump

Last edited:
I've been on the site since 2010, since you just joined a few months ago, trust me when I say in the years I've been on POF, new users frequently come out the gate with questions like: "Is LV tacky, ugly, worth-it, overrated, ubiquitous, and etc."

Calling a purse an investment piece is totally subjective, you shouldn't base your purchases on what others say. A handbag, like a car, is a depreciating asset, which in itself is a bad investment if purchased new. LV could be considered a "better" investment in that the prices are steady increasing, so it is possible to get a fair return if you keep the bag (in good condition) through multiple increases. My speedy 30 was $690, now they're $980, it still looks new so if I cared to sell it's possible I could break even or take a small loss.

But again this is for those trying to justify their purchases instead of just enjoying them. Which brings me back to my point: this doesn't make much since. These are luxury items, if you consider them anything more than a treat, then you should probably be spending your money on things you deem more reasonable. Also, buying pre-LVoed is a great alternative for the price/investment conscience.

If you have to justify a luxury purchase, it might not be right for you. Not directed necessarily at you OP, this is to anyone.

And that's all I have to say about that. -Forrest Gump
:tup: