Please share your costume jewelry!

Plated costume jewelry is a no go for me. I wear a little choker from F21 that I picked up for a last minute event but in general, I don't anymore. I can't deal with turning or cheap clasps. Drives me nuts. Plus I'm allergic to most.

I have a rule that if I can't shower in it, I don't want it.

Plated costume jewelry is a no go for me. I wear a little choker from F21 that I picked up for a last minute event but in general, I don't anymore. I can't deal with turning or cheap clasps. Drives me nuts. Plus I'm allergic to most.

I have a rule that if I can't shower in it, I don't want it.
Lol, I'm sorry but that's a silly rule. Emeralds, pearls, opals are all too delicate to shower in. But surgical-grade stainless steel would be perfectly fine.

I enjoy wearing the bolder statement pieces and buying costume stuff allows me to frequently change things up. My earrings have to be gold, silver or platinum though because my piercing tends to get red and sore with anything else. But with necklaces and bracelets no problem.

Reactions: KaththeeT
I know many here have expensive luxury jewellery from famous brands but I want to start a thread for all of us proud owners of costume jewellery. I see no problem owning and wearing good quality "fake" jewellery instead of splurging on expensive stuff, even though I do own expensive pieces too. I still find wearing the more affordable pieces easier and more care-free than running to the bank to fetch my diamonds and other gems from the vault whenever there's an occasion to wear them.

I know many royals and aristocrats even wear copies of their priceless pieces on festive occasions especially when they travel simply because there's less of a risk. This article was interesting:

COSTUME JEWELRY IN THE GEORGIAN ERA

I just received a lovely cz riviere necklace today with beautiful heart-shaped stones and I couldn't be happier. Would I love to own a real one with diamonds? Yes and no. Buying a similar one with about 50 carats of diamonds would cost me an arm and a leg and I cannot imagine how much I'd worry losing it.
Also, I feel a bit better wearing fake knowing that Princess Margaret had a few costume pieces that were sold after her death so looks like she wasn't shunning costume jewellery either:

A WHITE PASTE RIVIERE

Feel free to share your thoughts and your pieces. If there is already another thread about this topic (couldn't find one), please do merge this one with it.

I have some nice real jewelry but I enjoy good costume jewelry too.

I bought a costume rainbow ring off Amazon to see how much I would wear it or if it’s an Instagram trend. I wore it for months straight and had my local jeweler create a replica for me in white gold with sapphires and semi-precious colored gemstones. IMHO, costume is also a great way to test drive a style before spending $$$$ on something with less resale value.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I think costume jewelry serves a different purpose than fine or high jewelry. My daily wear is generally dainty fine jewelry as I like not having to worry about tarnishing metal, but I enjoy costume jewelry when I want something bolder without having to fret too much about it. Plus, it's easier to find things in my favorite color, hot pink.

Here are a few of my favorites in my collection:
17863232-A5A0-47D5-9114-4BF4D1605B8D.jpegFDD05CC2-BEAB-42C2-8025-F349891346EC.jpeg5C80FBAC-0571-42C8-96A4-99255699F33B.jpegBDA2A155-4034-455F-A0E7-2928FACF142B.jpeg80546EEE-655B-4554-99B4-50DE018DB7CE.jpeg

Here's my carefree cubic zirconia riviere. I can't get the shine to show on photos. I have considered getting some heartshaped cz stud earrings in silver to go with the necklace but is that too matchy-matchy? I don't know what style of earrings would go with the necklace as it's sort of modern while still timeless.

Resizer_16257523587240.jpg

I have some nice real jewelry but I enjoy good costume jewelry too.

I bought a costume rainbow ring off Amazon to see how much I would wear it or if it’s an Instagram trend. I wore it for months straight and had my local jeweler create a replica for me in white gold with sapphires and semi-precious colored gemstones. IMHO, costume is also a great way to test drive a style before spending $$$$ on something with less resale value.
You are so right on this. I was always wary about the weight of jewellery but the other thing is some shapes are much easier to wear than others. I couldn’t see myself wearing a marquise cut ring ever but I’m fine with a wishbone ring - it’s good to work your shapes out :lol:

• Insightful
Reactions: KaththeeT
I also think the thing about costume is that there are so many materials which make nice jewellery but are never going to be high end. I really like a lot of vintage celluloid plus shell and wood.

I’ve got into Jade recently (definitely TPF influenced) but I’ve also found an interest in enamel bangles & bangles in general, here’s my pair of the day…
37852E56-49E5-43BF-8C3E-C7F51C784E5D.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: limom
I know many here have expensive luxury jewellery from famous brands but I want to start a thread for all of us proud owners of costume jewellery. I see no problem owning and wearing good quality "fake" jewellery instead of splurging on expensive stuff, even though I do own expensive pieces too. I still find wearing the more affordable pieces easier and more care-free than running to the bank to fetch my diamonds and other gems from the vault whenever there's an occasion to wear them.

I know many royals and aristocrats even wear copies of their priceless pieces on festive occasions especially when they travel simply because there's less of a risk. This article was interesting:

COSTUME JEWELRY IN THE GEORGIAN ERA

I just received a lovely cz riviere necklace today with beautiful heart-shaped stones and I couldn't be happier. Would I love to own a real one with diamonds? Yes and no. Buying a similar one with about 50 carats of diamonds would cost me an arm and a leg and I cannot imagine how much I'd worry losing it.
Also, I feel a bit better wearing fake knowing that Princess Margaret had a few costume pieces that were sold after her death so looks like she wasn't shunning costume jewellery either:

A WHITE PASTE RIVIERE

Feel free to share your thoughts and your pieces. If there is already another thread about this topic (couldn't find one), please do merge this one with it.
briony Raymond specializes in vintage cartier and VCA as well as her own designs of precious jewelry. But, she also proudky displays some gorgeous vintage antique paste jewelry :smile: