Please share your costume jewelry!

I hardly wear costume jewellery anymore, since it turns my fingers green; something to do with the oxidisation of the skin (not harmful, just annoying.) I recently got a lot of my sisters old costume rings, and fell in love with them. I find putting clear nail polish on the inside helps reduce the green effect on my skin.

Hope that helps :smile:

I'm a huge costume and unbranded jewelry fan. Anything from handmade lucite earrings to vintage brooches to ceramic bead necklaces: I think it's a lot of fun to pair jewelry with outfits and I have an enormous collection of inexpensive treasures. (I'm not talking about disposable Forever 21 stuff but the $20-150 range: not plastic, but not gold either.) The real gold, pearls, etc don't get nearly as much use.

I prefer high-end/designer clothing, shoes, and handbags, but other than a few "genuine" items like rings and diamond studs, I feel that I'd rather have inexpensive fun jewelry, chosen for its design, than items that are identifiable, have logos, or are simply "blingy" (eg a giant diamond engagement ring). To be totally precise, coated metal items like Hermes Clic Clac are also "costume" jewelry, but they're logo-d in a way I don't prefer, so I'm talking about things chosen for their design, that no one should recognize.

Does anyone else wear costume jewelry? What kind? Why or why not?

From the time when I was quite young playing in mommy's box of "jewels" to my teen years of wearing fun costume pieces to today, when I love mixing real high jewelry with costume jewelry from family members down to my own purchases. I've had costume pieces restrung just like you'd do with pearls to keep family "heirloom" pieces going for many more years to come. When you can't have fun with what you wear, and can't break out of the mold of brands, where is the fun? I still enjoy playing dress up. :smile:

From the time when I was quite young playing in mommy's box of "jewels" to my teen years of wearing fun costume pieces to today, when I love mixing real high jewelry with costume jewelry from family members down to my own purchases. I've had costume pieces restrung just like you'd do with pearls to keep family "heirloom" pieces going for many more years to come. When you can't have fun with what you wear, and can't break out of the mold of brands, where is the fun? I still enjoy playing dress up. :smile:

I agree completely! ^^ And unlike high-end vs low-end clothing, where tailored pieces just fit better, or high-end vs low-end handbags, where more expensive items often just look a lot better (with exceptions, but this is largely true), I just don't believe the same is true of jewelry -- especially when you can get handmade pieces for $30-$200 that are absolutely stunning. For me, indie-designer and no-name jewelry has so much more personality than basic identifiable "designer" pieces. (I mean, have you seen Etsy? :P)

I wish I could wear costume jewellery, anything base metal or silver my body reacts to and I break out in a rash and it takes weeks to go away...all for a few hours of wearing a costume necklace or earrings!

so many of my friends have amazing collections of bold fun pieces but alas...I've given up and I stick to my fine jewellery basics instead!

Mostly I buy/wear costume. I have fine jewelry rings from Cartier & Bvlgari, but even those have costume elements with black ceramic (Cartier trinity) and blue marble (B.Zero). On a day-to-day basis, I’m usually too lazy to put any jewelry on aside from my watch.

I buy costume vintage (deco rhinestones or gaudy chains) or mall stores (F21, Banana Republic, Charming Charlie, So Good, dept stores, etc…). Those stretchy rhinestone bracelets (I have teeny wrists) are fun but admittedly junky. Going forward I won’t buy anymore. I consider Kenneth Jay Lane over-priced for the quality. I have one strawberry necklace that was a pseudo-gift, which I rarely wear, and has been pretty beaten up. I have a rope and agate necklace from indie-designer Brook & Lyn: (http://www.polyvore.com/brook_lyn_boutique_surrounded_day/thing?id=34396554), which I also rarely wear.

I collect Baccarat jewelry, especially the older all crystal pieces that they don’t seem to produce anymore. Those I’ll spend $100+ on.

I have always had to wear earrings that are at least 14 carat gold. Anything less will make my ears hurt and usually cause infection. All other types of jewelry are fine. I love wearing all kinds of jewelry. I love my expensive pieces of jewelry. But also love wearing costume jewelry that I can mix and match.

My collection is a mix of all price ranges and decades. I have to wear gold in my ears and even that is sometimes problematic. I may have to look into platinum earrings. Sometimes base metal or even sterling will make the skin between my fingers burn, but my reaction varies. I almost think it ties to hormonal changes. No issues with necklaces or bracelets/ watches though.

I have some of my grandmother's Coro pieces and I have a few from when I was younger but otherwise I really only wear the real thing.

I do from time to time though test out looks with the costume stuff as others had mentioned.

I have only one piece: a cloisonnee elephant pendant on a silk cord that belonged to my grandmother. She never wore it; I'm sure it was a gift. I don't have the first clue how to wear something like this, but I remember it being tucked away with her other necklaces. Since it was hers, I'll keep it forever.

Reactions: suchi