Please help with my maltese's eyes

You start off with a certain amount. It's a powder but it tastes like beef (or liver, I forgot). Once the hair starts growing in and it's white you can do it every other day. Eventually you can just stop it. I have a pin brush that I found in the cat aisle at my supermarket (random!) but the pins are not metal, they are coated plastic. It's great because my other pin brush would scratch so I had stopped using it. I also bought one of those undercoat brushes at PetSmart to get rid of the dead hair. I agree with TPF'er above about tying the hair. If my dog's hair is loose it irritates his eyes. I also use a baby toothbrush to wipe the area because his tears don't drain well and they get smelly.

Hi everyone. I am a Malt Owner as well. My Jack goes through some mild tearstaining every so often. Usually, during the fall and spring. They usually clear up on their own. However, when he was younger it was pretty bad. I thought it was just from teething. But it wasn't. We tried all of the remedies you can buy in the store including Eye Envy. I was just about to try Angel Eyes when I questioned the veterinarian about it. He said the reason people are having success with it is because Tylan is an antibiotic. You would be feeding your baby an antibiotic daily for cosmetic purposes only. When the fur is constantly wet from tearing, whether it be from hair in the eyes, allergies, or whatever, it creates an environment where the fur gets a kind of a harmless infection, for lack of a better word. That is why the Tylan clears it up. The condition itself is not harmless but merely cosmetic. My vet said that by using any kind of antibiotic when not necessary for a period of time could make Jack immune to that particular kind of antibiotic. He suggested other ways to help with the stains, other than fill him with antibiotics he doesn't need. The single most important thing I have learned was to make sure he only eats and drinks from stainless or ceramic bowls. Absolutley no plastic!!!! Plastic harbors all kinds of bacteria. The next thing was, changing drinking water to distilled water. This is the water found in the detergent aisle of any grocery store. It is used for ironing. The reason for this is because distilled water has been boiled to where all of the metals and impurities with color (iron, copper, etc.) are boiled out, therefore not being ingested and helping to cause tearstains. I have found that changing foods has helped enormously!!!! Sometimes, food allergies can cause eyes to tear alot, therefore harboring more bacteria on the constantly wet fur. I have discovered that anything with chicken and corn, Jack is allergic to. I have had good luck with Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance Allergy formula foods. It only has one kind of meat protein and one kind of carbohydrate instead of 100. It has also stopped the paw biting and licking that he does. Make sure that whatever food you feed your dog, whether it is kibble, or treats, they do not contain ingredients with color or color additives (beets, or beetmeal). Jack only eats Milk Bones as treats.

These are just a few little tips that may be worth a try before you go the Angel Eyes route. GOOD LUCK!!:tup: