Please help me select my laptop

Please help me select my new laptop.

• Sony VAIO

• HP

• Gateway

Results are only viewable after voting.
the one i'm using now, i bought it because it was too sexy to resist - sleek, super thin, all black - and i paid almost 3k for it when it first came out, but after like a year or two now, the fan is just so frickin' loud and random things keep going wrong with it. same things have happened to my old vaio laptops. i'm now looking for a new laptop and definitely staying away from vaios, which is totally hard to do because imo they make the sleekest most gorgeous laptops out there...

Haha that's exactly why I bought a VAIO. they are gorgeous. It died on me though. But I still miss it.:crybaby:

DH bought dell laptop for college bound oldest son 3 years ago. kid dropped it and was never the same - unfixable. bought him a vaio and is very impressed with it. may buy youngest son who is college bound this fall a vaio too. DH owns IT training business serving fortune 1000 companie's IT divisions training.

Don't get a Mac, as I can see everyone is pushing that :rolleyes: This is coming from a computer nerd that has done many repairs and built most of her own pcs in her life. My sister has owned three and finally gave up on them last year and switched to PC because she had so many problems with them. I can't even work on them, because there are so few solutions for a laptop that just freezes up constantly, no matter how new it is. This is, of course, a constant argument with most people, but in my opinion, Macs are great for graphic design, but they are in the end overpriced and "pretty" for what they are (unless you do graphic design, but I do graphics too and have always used PCs with no problems)

SO works for geek squad, and has been doing pc repair for about 6 years now, this is what he has to say:

Sony Vaios have a very good track record. They are rarely brought in for repairs. They are more expensive, but worth the price. HP is good to, very well made, and they have a good track record also, though not as good as the Sony.

I'm typing on SO's HP Laptop right now, and I've dropped the thing three times with no ill effects. It runs flawlessly! My sister dropped her Mac on carpet a single time and ruined it. I dropped my Alienware one time and ruined it to, and that's an awful brand for the record, never buy from them, lol. Customer service is rotten anyway.

I had a Sony Vaio for 3 years and it was a peice of... you know. Right now I have an Apple and it was the best decision I've ever made. I know getting an apple seems foreign but I suggest you give it some thought or go in and speak to the Apple people. It was the best money I ever spent.

Well, I'd pick the Vaio 'cause I've had mine for quite some years now and it still works perfectly. Keep in mind mine is a desktop PC, so I don't know if quality will differ much.

My only con against Macs is that the battery dies after a year's use or so. Happened to several of my friends.

I never really get all the PC hate around here. I've always used them and have never had any issues. At work or at home...they're all on 24/7 (I'm in IT and I have nightly batch files that run) and they're perfectly fine. No viruses, no nothing. If you're a responsible, smart user, you'll be a-ok with a PC. Besides, soon enough Macs will be targeted for viruses...just wait.

To add to your dilema, have you looked into Acer, Lenova or Toshibas? They're rather nice too. Out of your choices, I'd go with the VAIO

I also agree with a Mac. I've had mine for almost 3 years. I use it daily (and by that I mean I use it all day, every day... as I work in advertising/graphic design). I have never had a problem. They may seem really expensive at first, but they last longer and don't get outdated as quickly. Don't worry, the user interface is very user-friendly.

I never really get all the PC hate around here. I've always used them and have never had any issues. At work or at home...they're all on 24/7 (I'm in IT and I have nightly batch files that run) and they're perfectly fine. No viruses, no nothing. If you're a responsible, smart user, you'll be a-ok with a PC. Besides, soon enough Macs will be targeted for viruses...just wait.

To add to your dilema, have you looked into Acer, Lenova or Toshibas? They're rather nice too. Out of your choices, I'd go with the VAIO

^^I have considered the Acer and Toshibas, but we have them at work and have terrible problems with them. We're always packing one of them up and sending it back. So, I was afraid of them. I don't know anything about the Lenova.

Thanks for your input.

I have an HP/Compaq model nx6125 and I :heart:my laptop.

I have got an AMD chip and a ton of RAM & it is lightening fast, even when I am running resource hog programs like SPSS and Stata on it.

Also, if you can avoid getting Vista, XPPro is a lot sleeker, which is saying something because it is still a hog.

The only thing that I don't love about my pc is that it is big & heavy -- 6 pounds + battery, power supply, etc. in a 10 X 15 machine can get to be a lot to lug around on the metro, through airports, etc.

I am actually looking for a very small, light machine for travel that I can for nothing but email and presentations, but my big old laptop is definitely a work horse, I can't tell you how many times it has been knocked off of tables, dropped, etc. & it is still working great.

Periodically my SO needs to blow the crumbs and dog hair out of it with compressed air, but other than that it has been trouble free for two years.

Don't get a Mac, as I can see everyone is pushing that :rolleyes: This is coming from a computer nerd that has done many repairs and built most of her own pcs in her life. My sister has owned three and finally gave up on them last year and switched to PC because she had so many problems with them. I can't even work on them, because there are so few solutions for a laptop that just freezes up constantly, no matter how new it is. .
If a "brand new" computer is freezing up, you probably need to upgrade the RAM (that is, assuming the comp not somehow defective). I'm running 2GBs on a Mac laptop w/o a problem.
Your sister's experience is unfortunate. I have a MacBook and an iMac, and I've been up and running without a problem for two years.

To the OP: I wouldn't advise getting a Mac just for viruses. It's fairly easy to keep a PC virus and spyware free. I use McAfee and a free dl'd called "Ad-Aware".