Phillip Lim for Target - 9-15-13!

I've always loved Philip Lim's pieces. But past designer collaborations with Target have always been a letdown because of the fabric that they use. The only designer collaboration piece I loved and thought was worth it was the Tracy Reese dessert plates.

For some reason I feel that when there is a collab. between a designer and Target/H&M it 'cheapens' the original brand. I remember getting excited to see a Missoni sweater at a high end consignment shop, only to take a closer look and saw 'for Target' underneath the name-I didn't want the sweater after that. Anyone else feel this way?

absolutely! I have always disliked Target collabs. When Target did the collab with Neimans last holiday season I was just passing through and this snotty girl with her mother were looking at the Tory Burch things and because it had went on sale she turned to her mother and said "it's only on sale because people here don't know what Tory Burch is!" like it was "soooo exclusive" and she was the only one to have ever heard that name before...

i felt like saying, uh sweetheart, did you forget where you are? You're in Target, not Neimans- get over yourself- and do it quickly.

ALL that being said, I did see a few pieces that look really cute... I'll just have to see in person to see how they feel

absolutely! I have always disliked Target collabs. When Target did the collab with Neimans last holiday season I was just passing through and this snotty girl with her mother were looking at the Tory Burch things and because it had went on sale she turned to her mother and said "it's only on sale because people here don't know what Tory Burch is!" like it was "soooo exclusive" and she was the only one to have ever heard that name before...

i felt like saying, uh sweetheart, did you forget where you are? You're in Target, not Neimans- get over yourself- and do it quickly.

ALL that being said, I did see a few pieces that look really cute... I'll just have to see in person to see how they feel

I don't understand what's snooty about her statement. Some people haven't heard of Tory Burch. Not everyone is into designer items so I could understand how they might put it on sale because not as many people as originally thought are buying it.

The designers do the collaboration, because it raises the awareness of the mass to their brand. I personally know many poeple who know, LV, Chanel and Hermes but don't know Stella McCartney, Isabel Marant or Philip Lim!

I don't understand what's snooty about her statement. Some people haven't heard of Tory Burch. Not everyone is into designer items so I could understand how they might put it on sale because not as many people as originally thought are buying it.

uh, were you even able to understand what I wrote? It was a snotty comment because of the way she said it- which is why i gave an example of it following her statement. I also mentioned "did you forget where you are?" implying the fact that we are in Target and not everyone appreciates fashion as much as others. hence the reason it may have been on sale.

uh, were you even able to understand what I wrote? It was a snotty comment because of the way she said it- which is why i gave an example of it following her statement. I also mentioned "did you forget where you are?" implying the fact that we are in Target and not everyone appreciates fashion as much as others. hence the reason it may have been on sale.

Uh, no need to have such an attitude. You sound snooty yourself. Clearly I didn't understand what you wrote. And still don't. Very trivial.

I'm super excited!!! We just got Target in Canada and it's coming!
Some of us college students with full time jobs still can't afford/ want to pay $2000 for a bag.
It's great to see these companies do stuff for normal people, I worked at H&M too and always loved the collaboration.
Way to go Target!!!
:woohoo:

I, for one, am excited about this collection. I'm actually surprised at the lack of buzz on TPF about it. A lot of the clothing is basic and as long as one expects something around Target or slightly better quality, one won't be too disappointed.

Since the collections is mostly basics, the only pieces I'm really gunning for are the paper bird print. I'm going to wait to see the cheetah IRL to see if its tacky-looking or not.

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz here and despite Target's nation-wide tour for the collection, here's to hopping there won't be much of a line come Sept 15 in the AM.

I, for one, am excited about this collection. I'm actually surprised at the lack of buzz on TPF about it. A lot of the clothing is basic and as long as one expects something around Target or slightly better quality, one won't be too disappointed.

Since the collections is mostly basics, the only pieces I'm really gunning for are the paper bird print. I'm going to wait to see the cheetah IRL to see if its tacky-looking or not.

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz here and despite Target's nation-wide tour for the collection, here's to hopping there won't be much of a line come Sept 15 in the AM.
I feel like Target hasn't done quite as much advertising for this collection as they did for previous ones. Maybe I'm out of tune since I haven't picked up any magazines in the past couple of months but I know I haven't seen any commercials. Maybe it's due to the craze that resulted from the Missoni collection?

It just seems like Target isn't building up this collection as the others. I am looking forward to it... Target's collaborations always give me something to look forward to lol.

For some reason I feel that when there is a collab. between a designer and Target/H&M it 'cheapens' the original brand. I remember getting excited to see a Missoni sweater at a high end consignment shop, only to take a closer look and saw 'for Target' underneath the name-I didn't want the sweater after that. Anyone else feel this way?

Nope, don't feel that way at all. I love the Target designer collaborations and I love my designer clothing, shoes and bags. I buy what I like - whether it happens to be a $40 Target dress designed by Missoni, or a $400 Missoni dress from the designers collection. I could care less what other people think or say. I don't buy labels to impress anyone. I also realize that a lot of people think its crazy to spend $1500 on a handbag (or $200 on a dress or $500 on a pair of shoes) I don't. So if they happened to see me carrying my PS1 and get excited to find a $30 look-a-like at Target, I'm happy for them. It doesn't diminish the love I have for my bag or cheapen the brand. If anything, I'm flattered that someone was influenced by something I own. If they're happy with their $30 pleather bag, I'm happy for them. The Missoni prints are easily recognizable, so the Target collection was a way to reach people who don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a dress or sweater (to be honest, I saw a Missoni dress that was very similar to one of the Target dresses, and I preferred the cheaper Target version!)

I will never understand why people feel like this - there was a comment from someone on The Purse Blog who said that after seeing pics of this collection, they'll never carry their Phillip Lim bag again because now its ruined. I don't get comments like that at all - did you buy the bag because you loved it, or did you buy the bag because it was $600 and you wanted to impress everyone, and now people MIGHT think you only spent $50 on your bag? I just don't get it. I have always liked the look of Phillip Lim's Pashli bag but haven't want to spend the $$ on it since there are other bags I want more. I may just buy the Trget version to see how much I like the style. If I love it enough, I may just invest the $600 on the designer's original.

My only complain about the Target collaborations is that they won't use leather. If they can sell $200 leather jackets, and $50 leather shoes, why can't they make a $75-100 leather bag? They don't have to use leather for all the bags, but it sure would be nice if they made one or two bags in leather, and priced them accordingly. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be willing to spend a little more for an actual leather bag!

I agree, but I tend to take it to the designer brand as well in that In don't want that either after they sell out.to greed. They are not going mass market out of the kindness of their hearts. I was in NM when they had the collaborative pieces there. Many looked cute, but the quality sucked and the the fit was way off. You get what you pay for.

I remember the Gaultier for Target jacket was real leather. But if I'm buying a leather jacket (and even if it says Gaultier) I'm definitely going to scrutinize it more.

The only collection I ran out to buy was the Missoni... and my local Target was dead! I snatched up so many nice pieces that I wear all the time. And it's held up better than my Missoni Missoni! I would have loved a couple ZP pieces but the sizes were all gone, wasn't too broken up over that. And I got some of the Prabal Garung pieces (namely the black dress with middle panel, shirtdress, and bright skirt) because the colors were so pretty. I'll be interested in seeing what my local Targets have.

I did pick up some of the pieces from Target x NM. I ended up getting the R&B cardi (love it!) and the Proenza Schouler sweatshirt because I'm a HUGE sucker for graffiti prints. I ended up with a sequin top, a lace top, and an MJ pouch when it all went half off after Christmas.