PETA-?Have you read this?

Here are links to some great organizations for all animals here in the us and international.

here in the us:
http://www.bestfriends.org/

I've always heard good things about these guys. If anyone has heard different, I would like to know:
http://www.nsalamerica.org/

All things Jane Goodall. Her site has endless oportunities to help primates and more:
http://www.janegoodall.org/default.asp

other international orgs that need help:
http://www.orangutans.com.au/

http://thaifocus.com/elephant/index.htm

Thanks for posting such a great resource. :tup:

Another one worthy in my opinion (although I have never actually toured the facility) is The Elephant Sanctuary www.elephants.com

Here is a great resource from US Fish and Wildlife to give you an even bigger picture of what is going on in our own country.

http://www.fws.gov/

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Fish and Wildlife! this is my DH's area of expertise :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

We live in the green, birkenstock wearin, granola crunchin state of Oregon and PETA doesn't really line up with a truly eco-friendly attitude.

Sorry but common sense wins out in the end. And there is a much better way to educate people and to really drive home your point without doing the crazy ish PETA has and embellishing.

I've found that the simple truth is always the most astonishing, it needs not to be dressed up with anything extra.

Has anyone watched the documentary I am an animal?...I think that's what it's called, about Ingrid Newkirk. It's of course disturbing, for two reasons. #1- the footage. #2- listening to Ingrid. I don't hate her, but somewhere her vision for Peta went wrong. I believe she truly wants the best for animals, but her thinking is radical. People have left PETA because of this, that it has strayed from the original grassroots group that it was.

Like Bagnshoo, and Intlset, the reason I know anything about any animal cruelty is because of PETA, and like you, I began learning in my teens. Which was right around the time I became fully vegetarian.

I wonder what will happen when ingrid is no longer president. She is the reason that PETA has had so many success stories, and also the reason as to why so many people hate PETA. Of course, even if the protests were more "reasonable" people would still despise PETA. I think that they do have alot to change, but even still it's a no-win situation.

However, one thing I don't want to see, is PETA ceasing to exist, along with busting out the cruelty in Laboratories, or like in the documentary, show men sitting on a live turkey, or fingering it while it's upside down in the ankle clamps waiting to die, cows with broken legs laying there neglected, animals of all kinds with debillitating cuts left untreated by veterinary care, or the worst of all, animals being skinned alive. And this, if only this, is the reason why PETA needs to be here. Because despite everything else, they actually do get stuff done, and do bring awareness.

So like I said, or course I don't agree with everything, and i think they do things that they shouldn't, which does not help anyone, but the thought of nothing being done makes me sick. The alternative is?? Someone please tell me...

I personally would not mind if PETA dismantled. There are plenty of people in that organization who would like to see things change and maybe they should just start a new organization and get away from the name PETA. There is too much stigma attached to it. But then again, their philosophy would have to be reassessed as well - ie; private citizens owning animals, allowing people to continue to eat meat, eggs, poultry, etc., and spaying/neutering - these are all dealbreakers in my opinion cause you cannot force people to be vegetarian, or tell them they cannot have a dog in their house, etc. Thats just futile energy spent. If they just concentrate on exposing the truth (emphasis on truth) and not embellish situations, on cruelty and then go thru the proper channels to fix the problems, then I could get on board. But no way can I get back on board the way they are now. And Ingrid is one of the biggest liars I've ever heard. I don't know if she became drunk with power or what but the crap that came out of her mouth about our zoo and keepers was astonishing since she has never set foot in our zoo in decades. I would just like to see it disban altogether and there are plenty of other organizations already in place that could use the ex members help.

I personally would not mind if PETA dismantled. There are plenty of people in that organization who would like to see things change and maybe they should just start a new organization and get away from the name PETA. There is too much stigma attached to it. But then again, their philosophy would have to be reassessed as well - ie; private citizens owning animals, allowing people to continue to eat meat, eggs, poultry, etc., and spaying/neutering - these are all dealbreakers in my opinion cause you cannot force people to be vegetarian, or tell them they cannot have a dog in their house, etc. Thats just futile energy spent. If they just concentrate on exposing the truth (emphasis on truth) and not embellish situations, on cruelty and then go thru the proper channels to fix the problems, then I could get on board. But no way can I get back on board the way they are now. And Ingrid is one of the biggest liars I've ever heard. I don't know if she became drunk with power or what but the crap that came out of her mouth about our zoo and keepers was astonishing since she has never set foot in our zoo in decades. I would just like to see it disban altogether and there are plenty of other organizations already in place that could use the ex members help.
I haven't really commented because everything you say^^^^^I fully agree with^^^^^

I agree, and the first thing they need to do is focus on animal welfare rather than animal rights.

unfortunately, they give half truths and some outright lies. when they began, they called attention to alot of things that needed calling attention to. But then they took it too far where they felt to drive their point home, they had to embellish reality. You lose credibiltiy when you do that. All they need to do is tell the truth. The truth is enough. There are other organizations that are exposing cruelty. They are not the only game in town. They don't know anything about what it takes to preserve wildlife or how to go about rescuing animals. Their idea is to release animals into environments that don't suit them and expect them to fend for themselves. There is no forethought to what they do. Purely emotional. Their egos have taken over. And the fact that they don't want anyone to have pets (dogs, cats, horses, bunnies, goldfish, birds, what-have-you) is just the icing on the cake.

p.s. they have affected me and my profession directly. the lies they told about our zoo and our keepers made me sick.

At the Michael Vick hearing PETA's recommendation to the court was to euthanize all 47 dogs. The court did not accept their recommendation, and the dogs are alive now.

Catch 22....I think creating a cruelty free society has to start at a young age. Not sure what age, and although people can change later in life, I do see alot of kids make their own minds in this area when they see their idols represent positive organizations to make a huge difference. They don't have to be so graphic in doing so, but I think there can be awareness can target to kids who's only influence may be parents who don't practice animal wefare or animal rights. The biggest influence on me was when I saw a butcher steer shot in front of me. It's an image that I'll never forget (I think I was around 12 or so). I didn't have nightmares over it, but that was my turning point although I'd been raised to think animals were just creatures that belonged outside, including our non-pet/domestic animals from living on a farm. That's when I recognized the true emotions that animals have. I really wish there were more milder organizations that have the similar philosophy as PETA yet not so radical in saying we cant be animal caregivers, for example. A great one was last chance for animals (LCA) in the LA area, but they're not well known (http://www.lcanimal.org/). Also the antivivisection society was popular, focused on animal testing, but I don't hear about them anymore either. Who else takes the time and chance to film despicable conditions and treatments undercover that are still within "standards"? Not many and just like consumer watchdog groups, there has to be people with balls to expose the ones that hide the ugly side.

The aspca (and other humane society orgs) are great but those are more focused on pets and domestic animals, and not so much the forgotten ones. There are those that don't think animals should be killed for human food no matter how they are killed (although I havent followed this, there are legit arguments of this) and truly believe in animal rights (not just welfare) and their right to life, and that's fine too. It's just a matter of bringing it to our attention - not in a forceful way, but to those who are unaware there's a problem, and would never look otherwise - and let the individual decide on what level they believe the ethical treatment of animals should begin, then disregard what may be a bit too radical.

Catch 22....I think creating a cruelty free society has to start at a young age. Not sure what age, and although people can change later in life, I do see alot of kids make their own minds in this area when they see their idols represent positive organizations to make a huge difference. They don't have to be so graphic in doing so, but I think there can be awareness can target to kids who's only influence may be parents who don't practice animal wefare or animal rights. The biggest influence on me was when I saw a butcher steer shot in front of me. It's an image that I'll never forget (I think I was around 12 or so). I didn't have nightmares over it, but that was my turning point although I'd been raised to think animals were just creatures that belonged outside, including our non-pet/domestic animals from living on a farm. That's when I recognized the true emotions that animals have. I really wish there were more milder organizations that have the similar philosophy as PETA yet not so radical in saying we cant be animal caregivers, for example. A great one was last chance for animals (LCA) in the LA area, but they're not well known (http://www.lcanimal.org/). Also the antivivisection society was popular, focused on animal testing, but I don't hear about them anymore either. Who else takes the time and chance to film despicable conditions and treatments undercover that are still within "standards"? Not many and just like consumer watchdog groups, there has to be people with balls to expose the ones that hide the ugly side.

The aspca (and other humane society orgs) are great but those are more focused on pets and domestic animals, and not so much the forgotten ones. There are those that don't think animals should be killed for human food no matter how they are killed (although I havent followed this, there are legit arguments of this) and truly believe in animal rights (not just welfare) and their right to life, and that's fine too. It's just a matter of bringing it to our attention - not in a forceful way, but to those who are unaware there's a problem, and would never look otherwise - and let the individual decide on what level they believe the ethical treatment of animals should begin, then disregard what may be a bit too radical.

Again, the way they target young kids is asinine and uncalled for. You don't use kids to make a point when they are at that impressionable age and not able to understand what they are really doing. I'm speaking about their shock value tactics that is beyond SICK.
I have to say a lot of wonderful alternative ideas were posted here.

Again, the way they target young kids is asinine and uncalled for. You don't use kids to make a point when they are at that impressionable age and not able to understand what they are really doing. I'm speaking about their shock value tactics that is beyond SICK.
I have to say a lot of wonderful alternative ideas were posted here.

And Again, I didn't condone the WAY they do it (??), but encourage organizations with good intentions to all make kids aware when they are at an impressionable age is beneficial, since they are the future and can have positive influences on grown-ups who may be apathetic. I didn't say SHOCK value is a good thing for everyone, and probably isn't for adults either, but to target kids when things GOOD can come out of it is important also if it's done APPROPRIATELY. I'm sure there are organizations who follow the similar philosophies in animal rights/welfare who have alternative ideas in getting kids (in addition to adults) involved also. Many wonderful organizations target kids.....and once AGAIN, I don't think ANYONE other than the radical members of PETA think it's ok to impose graphic shock value and destruction without choice on anyone, of any age, but have reasonable tactics to target kids (and adults) is a good thing....again, APPROPRIATELY.

And Again, I didn't condone the WAY they do it (??), but encourage organizations with good intentions to all make kids aware when they are at an impressionable age is beneficial, since they are the future and can have positive influences on grown-ups who may be apathetic. I didn't say SHOCK value is a good thing for everyone, and probably isn't for adults either, but to target kids when things GOOD can come out of it is important also if it's done APPROPRIATELY. I'm sure there are organizations who follow the similar philosophies in animal rights/welfare who have alternative ideas in getting kids (in addition to adults) involved also. Many wonderful organizations target kids.....and once AGAIN, I don't think ANYONE other than the radical members of PETA think it's ok to impose graphic shock value and destruction without choice on anyone, of any age, but have reasonable tactics to target kids (and adults) is a good thing....again, APPROPRIATELY.

Did I say you said shock value?:nogood: PETA takes the approach of going to extremes instead of utilizing reasonable facts. They shove their one way belief system down people's throats while being hypocritical. You seem to have been confused reading my post:yes:

You (you equates to the public) can't expect the public to like an organization that goes about informing, through scare tactics. Or aiming their campaign at a child, to make a statement.